I'm curious.... are these "pirated" videos from the DVD or something different?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No Mark,most of this is original footage filmed by the Australian crew that was never used in the DVD.These have been posted by Modelsworld.ru,Russia's modeling forum.There are literally hundreds of other tutorial videos covering plastic modelling,armour etc.

Happy New Year

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Given that I paid for my DVD, I feel no guilt grabbing all the videos from that site. I recommend "Save From Net": 

http://en.savefrom.net/user.php

Some of you may be wondering about the legitimacy of this browser extension. Well, I did a google search for it and it appears to be clean. It also got past my virus and malware scanner on my PC. Just a note - it does not appear to work with versions of Chrome above v35. I used Firefox to grab the videos. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

No Mark,most of this is original footage filmed by the Australian crew that was never used in the DVD.These have been posted by Modelsworld.ru,Russia's modeling forum.There are literally hundreds of other tutorial videos covering plastic modelling,armour etc.

Happy New Year

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.  I'll go have a look then.  :)   I'm just very cautious about such things.  Always have been and probably always will be.   Hell, I even paid for the original Leisure Suit Larry game way back when it was pirated by everybody. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mtalor: thanks for that comment on paying for software, I write software and it's not simple. Much like our ship models software is very detailed and takes a lot of time and study to make it good.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

Mtalor: thanks for that comment on paying for software, I write software and it's not simple. Much like our ship models software is very detailed and takes a lot of time and study to make it good.

I've done my share of programming and shareware.  Never made a dime from it until I started work in IT.   I do believe in paying.  There's quite a few folks here that do things for us shipbuilders (such as the authors of various books and plans) and I want them paid and not have their work stolen.

That game must have been back in the 80's Mark

Is that the only copy they ever sold

Around 85 I think.   I hope not as they brought out more but as I recall it held the record for being pirated.

Anyway, that's the way I am. 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Nigel.  I'll go have a look then.  :)   I'm just very cautious about such things.  Always have been and probably always will be.   Hell, I even paid for the original Leisure Suit Larry game way back when it was pirated by everybody. 

I fulling understand Mark and it wouldn't be the done thing to promote pirated Vids in here :)

Happy New Year

Nigel

• 5 months later...

Dr. Mike's videos are up to 95 now. He's the one publishing them on YouTube. As before his full list of videos is at

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5wX2_PJGI8sxN_zzXNTWaZ9qi-U_9Zp7

Tony

I must thank you again for this Tony,I had another 'fix' last week.The list was up to 94 then so I a have another one to watch :) I know I am finding a lot of useful stuff not even mentioned in the DVD.Obviously because of the time spent with Dr Mike,if they covered everything,it would have been a ten DVD boxed set :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 2 years later...

I ordered this DVD using paypal. The payment went through fine. I have tried to contact them using their support address on the web twice now to find out if the DVD has been shipped and received no response.  I'm glad to read some of you have received the DVD, so I will give it 2 weeks before I contact PayPal and cancel the transaction.

Thanks for a great site, I am working very slowly on the HMS Bounty (the one with half the hull uncovered)

Update, They are still in business! Yah! I received the DVD today 5-31-18, they finally did get back to my request and said they have been flooded with orders was the reason for the response delay.

Edited by tusler
Update

• 3 weeks later...

I deleted the Dropbox files of the translations and complete links of Mike's YouTube videos some time ago. However, following a pm from another member, I have reposted them in Dropbox at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7lql7kn7vrz8ted/AABxuBO1WfPmefnzPN9aHx3ha?dl=0

Tony

Dr. Mike is a gifted model maker but some of his techniques are a bit...unusual. For example, in video 78, minute 28:02, he is using a toaster to heat planks for bending. He retrieves them when ready with a curved surgical clamp. I'm quite certain I recall my mother telling me never to stick anything metallic into a plugged in toaster that's actually in the process of toasting but she sometimes was a worry wort. Perhaps Russian toasters are different than US toasters?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Yes, he does quite a lot that could be in the 'don't try this at home' category. His use of the table saw, for example. But as a surgeon he's used to being supremely confident with his risks which you can reckon he's worked at perfecting. At least I think he's a surgeon. I always enjoy watching different styles and approaches to model ship builds which demonstrate the wide range of imagination and thinking that can be applied to the same situation. He's also good at adapting his tools.

Once I can start modelling again (hoping for August) I'll certainly go back to some of the videos for stimulation but I won't try the toaster idea as I can use other sources of heat.

Tony

I believe Dr. Mike is a cardiologist. Personally, I have switched to a heat gun to bend wood and find it superior and quicker to soaking and steaming.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for the clarification about Mike's speciality, Greg. I use an old hairdryer. But I have an old heat gun, so I'll try that.

Tony

• 2 months later...