Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

I remember getting my hand pulled into our slitter.  I was leveling out material as it was going through and my hand got caught in a tear.  I stopped it but still got banged up.  Fortunately for me just banged it up.  The blades were not being used at the time I remove them when not in use.  Safety first.

David B

Jeez guys, what do you do for fun after your job beats the crap out of you? All my trips to the ER were obtained while having "fun" after work! What happened to the good old days of duct tape, twigs and a shot of whiskey?

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hey Cap, did you picked up some of very nice and usefull stuff surgeons use (blades, peans, threads, scisors ...) just for memory, not for modeling ? ;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Jeez guys, what do you do for fun after your job beats the crap out of you? All my trips to the ER were obtained while having "fun" after work! What happened to the good old days of duct tape, twigs and a shot of whiskey?

I've never been hurt at work Matt. My arm was broken as a defense action. Attempted armed robbery with a steel pipe. I say attempted because the guy failed to kill me. He tried to make a canoe out of my head with the pipe, and my arm got in the way. :rolleyes:  He did manage to hit me 4 more times before I stood back up and tore the pipe out of his hands, then chased him with it for about a block, with my ulna sticking out through the skin. Guess he wasn't having any. One of the hazzards of living in the city. It's easier to rob and kill for what you want, then working for it. Wish I could have gotten a picture of that dude's eyes when I took his pipe away from him.   :D  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

No joke George, you could've gone viral if there was a camera rolling.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hey CaptainSteve, I found a fairly simple way of making multiple blocks at the same time. Cut a long piece the highth and thickness you want, then drill your hole/s through the entire piece where you want. Then you can pencil in and shape most of the blocks before you cut them apart. Just a thought.

Ain't it funny, when the tide turns, the tough guy ain't so tough after all!

I can tell you like I told the responding Cops. He must have luck on his side, because I would have done him like he tried to do to me. Doesn't that famous saying go "Do unto others as they do to you"?   :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Wish I could have gotten a picture of that dude's eyes when I took his pipe away from him.   :D  :D

Hahaha ... 

I'd pay money for a copy of that picture to hang on the wall in my modelling room.

Talk about "inspirational" !!

:cheers:  

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Capt Steve...if we could just back up a bit to the rudder hardwear. Bit of a novice and im up to the part of making the gudgeon and pintle out of the flat bar provided...my question is what did you use for the round bit and the pin..as these not supplied. Thanks

Sapph'. I just used a piece of brass wire (0.8mm dia) for the pintles, and a piece of 1.5mm (outside diameter) brass tubing to form the gudgeons (also, the outside of the pintles). Small pieces of each were clipped to fit inside the shaped brass straps, and then glued into place with two-part epoxy glue (others solder the parts in place).

Check out pictures RUDDER7 and RUDDER8 in this post, back on page 29.

Also, check this post in Kit-Bashers.

And you can try this one for Nenad's tips on building these bits.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hahaha ... 

I'd pay money for a copy of that picture to hang on the wall in my modelling room.

Talk about "inspirational" !!

I don't know about inspirational Captain. After the 2nd or 3rd wack, I think it was more adrenalin mixed with intense anger because at that point, I stopped feeling the pain. Wish I was an artist though, so I could paint you a copy of his shocked face.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

I don't know about inspirational Captain. After the 2nd or 3rd wack, I think it was more adrenalin mixed with intense anger because at that point, I stopped feeling the pain. Wish I was an artist though, so I could paint you a copy of his shocked face.  :D

Wow George! You sir are an inspirational bad a@$!! Glad you weren't made into a canoe.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Everything still looks great! I have been watching, just not commenting lately. I'm anxious to see your rigging on your fine model.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Reminds me of several years ago I was working in retail and was making a night deposit at the bank.  The guy was obliviously drunk or on something.  Anyway he tore my new suit and I flipped and tried to put him through a brick wall.  I then got out of there before the cops got there.  I am to damn old for those things and too stupid to no any better.  Glad you came out okay.  Chicago has it's share of losers as well.  I am happy that you are doing well.

David B

Captain, sorry for hi-jacking your thread. Wasn't my intent.  :rolleyes:

Arrr ... it be OK, George.

But I think it is time to get back to the ship-modelling.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

“Interesting that Ye should be a-mentioning the rigging, Patrick,” CaptainSteve were to open with. “For I has been givin’ a lot o’ thought to that matter over these past weeks.”

Indeedeth, Our Hero didst reason thusly, “That at the scale o’ 1 to 16 that this kit be, ‘tis my thinkin’ that I shall verily be needin’ to look most closely at the nitty-gritty o’ the riggin’.”

But a-fore we doth progress with that, there be the matter o’ these pics of the newly installed tholes.

“Rather than just a-using the kit supplied dowel (1/32nd inch),” CaptainSteve didst explain, “I be choosing instead these toothpicks which I doest keep in abundance for use as glue spreaders.”

post-675-0-46471500-1425746600_thumb.jpg

“I doth liketh the pre-engraved grooves around the top o’ each,” he didst enthuse.

These were first dipped in Teak Brown stain …
post-675-0-80383000-1425746603_thumb.jpg
… and thence trimmed to size and a-fixed into position ….

Those with long memories may recall-eth a-mentioning (back in Post #256) o’ time-worn oar grooves etched into the wales ….

"Hmmm ...," CaptainSteve were to complain. "These pics be of very poor-eth quality !!"

post-675-0-47485500-1425746606_thumb.jpg

“But getting back to the matter of the riggin’ o’ me Launch,” he were to continue. “I be a-figuring that I really must be a-displayin’ the seizings an’ servings as much as be possible.”

O’course, this could prove-eth to be a most difficult path for Our Hero …

“Just how many o’ the Horde are aware that CaptainSteve doest, verily, possesseth nought in the manner o’ real-life sailing experience ??” he were to query, a-fore showing this latest – in-progress – photograph  …

post-675-0-95351900-1425746596_thumb.jpg

It be Our Hero’s intention that the upper block on each o’ the masts shall be the lift for the corresponding spar.

“The lower line, which doth still require more servin’, be a stay, and shall be looped around a wooden peg, and thence lead down to a pin."

Given his complete lack of sailing knowledge, Our Hero wouldst greatly appreciate any suggestions that wouldst improve upon the rigging.

Incidentally, CaptainSteve didst happen to mention, the sails now be re-fitted to the spars using Chuck’s rope.
“I hast decided,” Our Hero didst begin to close, “to be a-goin’ with a complete re-fit using ropes from the Syren Shipping Co.”

Finally, to the left o’ the Syren packages, can be seen some blocks which hath been stained and stropped, but doth await serving.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Take it easy Captn, softly softly and all that.

Great toothpick idea, works a real treat but unfortunately I'm unable to assist with your rigging plan but I wish you good luck.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hey CaptainSteve, sheet 5 gets you fairly close, it just doesn't show all lines though. I'd start with both masts first, the aft-mast belayed to side benches and for-mast to thwart #3. What ever side you put your spars on, the tack and clew are on that side as well. I know we both had funky yet different lines for the bash. I did the aforementioned lines first then the spar lines. This limits the amount of pins available. I threw a couple of half hitches, just enough to hold it temporarily in place. That way you can fiddle with them until they look "right". I don't know the correct placement either, so it was kinda on the fly. I don't remember if my pics were clear on this point, but I could take some better ones and send em your way if want. Hope that helps.

... sheet 5 gets you fairly close, it just doesn't show all lines though ...

Matt,

Essentially, beyond the lifts, and using some of the blocks for bunt-lines to lift the foot o' me sails, I be planning on using your work as my guide.

(By the way, I'm yet to take my lathe out of the box. Once the arm heals up a bit, I plan on taking it for a test-spin a-fore working on a re-do o' the barrels.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Work shall most verily be continuing on the rigging lines, but here be an updated version of the List ...

(Barrels re-added)

post-675-0-93572800-1425756382_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey Cap'n. It's 3:30am over there in Perth. Go to bed and dream of barrels!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Well that was pretty much a group collaboration on this forum, minds smashing together in a way that can only be explained as a Big Bang! I still need to figure something different with the double block set up.

How do you like the Syren rope? I know the MS rope feels like crunchy nylon, but the rope from Corel feels pretty nice.

I've been tempted to buy one of those lathes just to see what it looks and feels like. You're killin me, man, at least give us a teaser. You know, rip it out of the box and take a selfie with that bad boy

How do you like the Syren rope? I know the MS rope feels like crunchy nylon, but the rope from Corel feels pretty nice.

There just be no comparison between Chuck's ropes and the kit-supplied crap. The Syren stuff looks better, feels better, and cuts better. As well, it falls in place better than the shiny cord which MS supplied. Can't say that I've seen that which Corel supplies for their kits.

As to the lathe, patience young Padawan ... it be not going anywhere.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I agree with CaptainSteve. The Syren rope is the best stuff on the market that I have ever seen.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Cap'n, like the thole pins; they look good.

I hope you break that lathe out soon. I got a little dough to spend and I think a lathe might be the thing. Need some hands-on, first person experience with this Proxxon jewel.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ken,

I'm slowly working my way through my own list of Every-Power-Tool-I've-Ever-Wanted. Am currently saving dollars for a Table Saw (probably Byrnes, tho' now I see Proxxon have one) and a Disc Sander.

Plans are being made to take the lathe up to CaptainAndrew's next weekend for the express purpose of making sawdust (and barrels), so I'll let you know my thoughts on it afterwards.

Meantime, back to the rigging and I have questions regarding how the cross-spars are attached to the masts on these type of boats.

Does the mast just sit in-between the two blocks on the spar, essentially being attached only by the lift rigging ??

Were parrels employed, as per the spanker yards attached to mizzen masts ??

Enquiring Bounty Launch builders (with zero sailing experience) need to know ...

(Sorry, Crackers) 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey I sent you a link and I think that to rig correctly a slide ring should be attached to the spar and around the mast. I'll have to look further to see exactly the configuration of the three.

Side note: this means my rigging is jacked and I need to fix this along with my double pulley set up. I might wait until you finish that part and then I'll copy it

Edited by matt.s.s.