Please please please..... DO NOT PUT Personal Info in a post to a seller.  Use the PM's.   Posts are visible by entire Internet.  You're giving spammers and miscreants information that is useful to them.

Check out the sellers history of posts....are they well known?  They must have a minimum of 25 posts to reply to a topic or post a topic in this forum.  Look at their post history.

If paying a seller...Use PayPal.  They have great buyer protections.  Always select "paying for goods and services"   If you dont get the goods or services...you have a good chance of getting your money back.  Scammers usually insist you send it as "sending money for friends and family"  because its less likely you can get your money back.  

Personal information is things such as phone numbers, email addys, home addresses, etc. 

Edited by kurtvd19
Number of posts required was incorrect

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with you 100%.  It is called commonsense  with all the trolls out there you can easily get into serious trouble.

David B

• 4 months later...

Hello,

My name is Bruce and I am new to this site and this hobby.  I was reviewing your tips for buyers and sellers and would like to post an item for sale, but I don't know what is meant by PMs. Would you please clarify.

Thanks,

Bruce

It means "personal message" - it's like a private email sent directly to a forum member - you can send a PM by clicking on your own user name at the top of the page (in the blue banner) where you'll see an option called "personal messenger" - or if you scroll over or click another users name, you will see an option to "send message". This is a much more secure way to share information with other users that you might not want floating around....

hamilton

Edited by hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Bruce ...dont forget to introduce yourself properly to the forum in the appropriate area.  Let folks know who you are.   There is nothing more suspect than folks who sign up and simply post stuff for sale and then leave.    It happens a lot.   Folks here are so much more comfortable with these online transactions if you waited a few weeks and in teh meantime post about your cutrrent projects and your introduction to the hobby.

Otherwise....it gets a bit scary.   

Chuck

• 6 months later...

Thank you Admiral Chuck, Well said and timely.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Facebook has a place I have found much enjoyment from some of the groups and friends I have made.  However I will never give out personal info or data.  It is too easy for some troll to take what you wrote or said and hurt you with it.  I was talking with someone and they offered to give me there bank information to help me out.  I put a stop to that and informed them that they could be in for a world of trouble if they continued.  I had to explain that face book was open to everyone and that nothing posted was considered safe.  They did not believe me and said I worried to much.  I haven't heard from him in awhile and hope he did not get into any trouble.

David B

• 10 months later...

I agree with the above statements. But if the seller isn,t a well known member, then i would ask that they ship first, before the money is sent.

I look at it this way, there needs to be a little trust on one side or the other and if they are fresh to the forums then the trust factor should go to the current members.

Also, please do not send payment using paypal gift as some may ask to avoid the 3percent seller fees. You as the buyer will give up any recourse you have if the deal goes south.

mike

Edited by mtdoramike

• 5 months later...

Rek,

Try asking about finding one in the appropriate sub-forum here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/58-general-ship-model-kit-discussions-questions-and-reviews/

I can't answer your question except that maybe it's the "50 post" rule.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)