18th century Longboat by fnkershner (Floyd Kershner) - Model Shipways - 1:48

Mark It does look that way I will have to go look now.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Also, pardon a bit of critics, looks like the second bulkhead from the top is not fully inserted, it looks higher then other bulkheads. Or it was just dry fitted on that photo, not glued?

Ok so how do you loosen PVA that had had a chance to dry for a couple days?

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Try isopropyl alcohol regular strength. If you can get 99% that would be better. Just keep the joint wet or wrap it in plastic wrap. After a while the glue will disolve.

David B

Thanks Dave. I guess I may not finish the fairing this weekend.

Several members of my clubs have been doing the Longboat and have had the same problems.  It was discovered that if you only use white glue you can redo a frame or part.  One member had to redo most of his frames.  By saturating the part in iso alcohol and wrapping it the glue dissolved after a couple of hours.  In your case it might no take as long.  Do one frame at a time. 

David B

Dave - Thanks for the tip. I thought I would post some pictures of my variation of your solution. Besides what else can I do while waiting. :)

As you can see I put some Alcohol is a squirt bottle and then I kept the Q tips wet for about 90 min.

post-1088-0-69327600-1402877363_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-85337900-1402877373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

So let me offer an update as we go into the weekend.

The first picture shows the false deck and scrap for grabbing (thank you Mike)

The last Picture shows it in the vice. Let the Fairing Begin!

post-1088-0-59055000-1403310815_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-46052900-1403310824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Looking good Floyd.

You are now doing the part I hate most.  I find it so confusing/tedious.  :angry:

Good luck.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Scary & Tedious yes! But the club is coming over today so we will all be doing something similar.

Stunt flyer - Not yet.

Sam - No one came! I guess the great weather gave everyone something else to do. But I did complete the fairing and started to shape planks. But it has been a busy work week and I am traveling this weekend. So this build will have to wait until Monday.

• 2 years later...

Well guys, remember me? I was the guy who convinced our local club to make this a club project. And as of now I am one of only 2 member who have not completed their longboat. I can't believe that it has been more than 2 yrs since I made any updates to this log.

So true confessions time. Planking has been my nemesis for several decades. I keep failing, and so many models end up in the fireplace. I have decided to push forward on this one and hopefully learn from the experience. I also got a friendly nudge from our own Dr. Per. So I am back and trying to complete at least one planking job. The long view of the Starboard side show the very small gap I have to fashion a custom plank to fill. I also discovered the transom was not square so I had to remove and repair that too. I am worried that once I begin sanding the gaps between planks will be very noticeable. For this model I may just paint the outside so that I can fill the gaps with putty. I have enough boxwood for a 2nd model. Maybe I just start over and hopefully have a better result.

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

Welcome back! This kit is really difficult to plank. Took me a lot of time. Chuck's planking videos helped a lot. Plus all the great build logs. Good news is the build moves along after the planking and fairing inboard are done. I'll follow along. 

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hey Welcome back! I'm just getting back into the hobby myself. Good to see you man. Keep up the good work! Don't judge yourself by the other boat builders masterful planking on this site. I'm sure most of them had similar stumbling blocks at one point or another. I think you do great work and i'm sure this ship will turn out great too.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Current Build: The Harvey

Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 3:32 PM, Tigersteve said:

Welcome back! This kit is really difficult to plank. Took me a lot of time. Chuck's planking videos helped a lot. Plus all the great build logs. Good news is the build moves along after the planking and fairing inboard are done. I'll follow along. 

Steve

Planking Videos?!  I must see these, where can I find them?

3 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

Here you go: https://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13850-chucks-planking-videos/

Were are you at with your longboat?

Steve

Thanks...  literally just got back to it yesterday.  Small update on the b-log this morning.   Work, kids, winter and all that has a way of sneaking up on you and taking all your free time away.