HMS Victory by shihawk - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:75

Love everything you've done on this ship Boyd. I have learned and copied much from your build and will continue to. I personally like the way you've gone with the masts and rigging and may yet go that way myself. Keep up the splendid work.

Best, Ian

Thanks Ian ,I think the main thing i have learned from this build is not to be afraid to do your own thing and see how it turns out  ,although often when searching through other logs or books i have to remind myself i am building a model not a replica of the real ship and decisions then become easier. If your build continues to the same standard as your present planking i rekon you will certainly have a build to be proud off . I hope to be back at the Vic soon and be able to let you see now the shortened masts turn out before you make any drastic decisions. 

• 6 months later...

Hi all . Been away for a while for various reasons ,but all being well i hope to return to the workshop this week ,and resume work on the Vic .  it must be 4 months since i worked on her but it seems like years ,so it may be a while before i have much progress to report . I hope to spend a while going through the various logs i had been following and try to get up to date again , lookin forward to getting back into the smell of wood and glue  . 

Good to have you back matey !! I look forward to more exciting episodes !!

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 1 year later...

Hi folks . After a few false starts i think i am ready to return to my Vic build . In fact i have returned a few times but decided to wait untill i had some progress to show before posting an update  . Before i left i talked about a short masted version and have continued on this theme as rigging is my least favourite part of building and possiblly one of the reasons i have been absent for so long .Forgive me if i don,t have the same dedication as i did when i first started and may cut a few corners in my rush to get this build finished , but finish it i must !!!!! i couldn,t bare the thought of all those hours work sitting in a corner gathering dust . I have plans for a simple -cheap case which if it works will be as much for safe storage as display and may be of interest to some , more on that later .The few pic,s that follow show re

cent progress and i,m glad to say that sitting in a roofspace under a window dose,nt seem to have done the Vic any harm .

IMG_0322.JPG

I had forgotten what a beautiful job you had done on this. Good to see you back.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Tks Heinz  , i took a run through your build , to remind me of your build ,fantastic work . Was wondering if like me u need a break now and again  , it is a long slow process and hard to keep the motivation going over years , i don,t know how some do it , good to hear from u again and look forward to your next update .

Hi Mike ,,I couldn,t find your Victory build on the logs ??????  But i did find your Sopwith Camel , great finish idea with the half and half . Did think of trying the Fokker tri- plane and still might , would u recommend ??? However i have now opted for the Triton section , got the plans and have the wood ordered so will see how that goes first , may even try the full one if i think i,m up to it .Of course i must finish the Vic first !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Boyd

I haven't done the victory at all. Not me honest!! The Sopwith was good fun and I have the fokker tri plane in my stash waiting probably after I have finished Mary. Planes make a change so I reckon you would enjoy them.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

42 minutes ago, shihawk said:

Tks Heinz  , i took a run through your build , to remind me of your build ,fantastic work . Was wondering if like me u need a break now and again  , it is a long slow process and hard to keep the motivation going over years , i don,t know how some do it , good to hear from u again and look forward to your next update .

Hello Boyd, 

I am glad that you remember me and my Victory. You're right, I'm taking a break right now. My father was very ill and spent several months in the hospital. There was no time for modeling next to the work because we took a lot of care of him. He died last month.

I also got 2 cats again. They are very young and very lively animals. It is simply not possible to pick up a tool without the two having their nose with them. Crafting is impossible, because everything is too interesting. And the model just has too many small parts that constantly break off when the cats roam free. But I can not bring myself to shut them out.

Honestly, I'm a bit desperate. Because when I see the pictures of your Victory, I get so much desire to tinker. The motivation did not leave me at all. I just do not know what to do so that the cats and the model can work together ...

Until then, I enjoy the many great posts here in the forum

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

sorry , i got held up without explaining the pic,s , as with the rest of the build the mizzen and all that goes with has been cut short ,, rigging has been kept to minimum and so may look a bit strange to the trained eye , apoligies for that !!!   Anchors are not rigged in the authentic way but no matter how i tried the proper version looked like it would loosen on the first tug , so as captain i ordered it securely fastened .  Only a few things at the bow to finish up and a overall cleanup should bring this rather extended build to a finish , 

I think you might have fitted the stocks upside down as well, looks like in the picture the angled side should be on the bottom

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi Mike , to be quite honest it was so long ago i can,t remember the exact reason , i think i did try the black and decided that the light color looked better with the natural finish . As i decided to build more for the look of it rather than authentic it left me free to change the rules a bit . 

Boyd

Keith ,, note a chance , all i want now is to get her to a stage i content with and into a case of some sort and move on to the next build . i,m probably the only one who will ever see her anyway , and i have discovered i do not like rigging .Did u get much of the beast from the east yet ???  We are cold but not much snow yet anyway !

I'm not wild about rigging either !! We have about 1ft snow if you don't count the drifts !

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: