HMS Victory by shihawk - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:75

I know Boyd- just playing devils advocate! We have had a bit of snow (2-3 cm), but luckily the cumbrian hills stopped most of it as we are right on west coast- saying that i have to get back home yet from Workington to Whitehaven and my house is about 700 foot above sea level- its the wind that's the biggest problem as its about - 8 centigrade. As we say in cumbria "arl finned out when as ga'an yam";)

Keith

Mike ,,  i forgot u are in the highlands aren,t u ???    good excuse to batten down the hatches and get some peacefull buildin time   . Believe it or not a neighbour of mine was cutting and baling silage this morning (, if u know what that is ?) it was a field that was to wet to get on since last July , this is the first time the ground has been hard enough to get machinery on .It,s just startin to snow here now but i think we will escape the worst of it .

Keith ,, safe home ,, sorry i don,t speak foreign languages !!!!!!!!   only -4 here , i,m in my shorts 

Who's a clever boy then ! Don't you just hate it when people point out your deliberate mistakes !!

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

i was really just checkin to see if u all were payin attention !!!!!!!!  simple solution would have been to turn them around but the lashing i had on wasn,t well enough finished to be on the top , so resorted to brass strips , , probly looks better anyway  . 

cheers Boyd 

She looks absolutely beautiful Boyd. Well done indeed sir !

What's next ?

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 4 weeks later...

Tks all for the kind comments .

Grant ,,, i think im more proud of the fact that i got finished than of the build itself !!! though i,m happy with it  and learned a lot ,, i think ?

Keith ,, i,m still smiling.   To be honest i was going to do a few more bits but having broken a few of the sticky out bits i decided to call it a day before i spend another year on repairs. 

Mike ,, i suppose u are still snowed in ???  Next is a display case , i hope to sort the materials to morrow ,and then i intend to do the Triton cross section , plans printed and timber ordered , i want to get the vic out of the workspace before i create more sawdust and dust .

So i hope to see u all on the dark side .

Boyd

She really is beautiful. You should be very proud.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 7 months later...

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Boyd! Awesome work, mate. She looks absolutely beautiful. It's only when you do a Victory yourself (in this scale), that you can really appreciate the level of work, time, commitment (and skill) involved in getting her to look like this. Many congratulations, that's a stunning job! :)

Any plans on next one? HMS Pickle to give yourself a bit of a break (but that goes nicely with "Vicky")!

ps been off having Daughter number 5 (i know, I know). Charlotte Rose Victoria.....only afterwards did it dawn on Mrs Knotty that I'd snuck references to both "Mary" and "Vicky" into her middle names suggestions! lol

Current build: HMS Victory - Billings Boats - 1:75 (first ever ship build)

First  thing ,, Chris.. many concgats on your new arrival , I can,t imagine what name u would have come up with had it been a boy ???

Thank you for your kind words..I did have diffs getting the motivation to finish the Vic even to the shortened version , The rigging broke my spirit !!! But I was surprised when I visited the real Vic last summer that her masts have been shortened similar to mine .

I did start a Triton section but discovered a major flaw in the early part of the build so have now moved on ,as was always the intention ,to the full Triton 1;48 POF . Finding it a challenge but as before I just have to keep reminding myself I am the captain and do my own thing . did start a log on the Triton section but not much there yet , still getting my head around the plans ???  good to hear from u again .

Boyd

Marty .. If I remember correctly I spent a lot of time experimenting with thread , wire etc for the frames but finished making the complete windows from small strips of Lime .. a very tedious but rewarding method . Check other logs there may be a simpler method ..On checking my log I see I did not document it very well at the time and don,t remember the exact details , sry I can,t be more help ..

Boyd

Boyd, thank you for your comment, I appreciate that. My mind was running the same track as what you said about using strips of Lime. I also am thinking of making a pattern and print on a some sheets of Balsa or Bass wood then cutting them out by hand. I also don't like using Acetate, what would be a better material ? Again thank you for your help. One other comment on the Billings for anyone starting the build. Bulkhead # 7 slot in bottom of this bulkhead was not cut deep enough (3 mm short) didn't find the problem until installing the main deck, nothing was lining up took some time to figure out, you can imagine the problem that caused, cutting out all the glue joints to get the bulkhead removed !!! 

Marty

HMS Victory by Billings 1:75 Working on now for two months

HMS Victory by  Mantua 1:98 Working on for over a year, don't really like this kit !

HMS Endeavour by Artesania Latina 1:60 Still in the box !!

Edited by aviationman
Spelling

Hey Boyd,

apart from breeding (!!!!) where have you been ? Haven't heard from you for ages. Are you still modelling or did your wonderful Vic put you off ?

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi Mike .. I,m afraid u misunderstood ,i was congratulating Chris on his new baby , those days are long gone for me . will be a granda soon !!!!!!! lol.

I haven,t been on that much for a while so yes i think the Vic did burn me out for a while plus i got hooked on a computer game which wasted a lot of my spare time ,but i,m back in the workshop ,started a Triton scratch build and waiting on wood supplies . I noticed u still building a few planes or have u moved on to something else now , i only look in on the site once in a while now and have gotten out of touch ,.Once i get going with the Triton project properly i hope to be back on more often . Hope all,s well in the highlands and your battoned down for a long winter ,s modeling ???

• The title was changed to HMS Victory by shihawk - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:75