HMS Winchelsea by Rustyj - POB 1/64 - 1764 - 32 Gun Frigate

Sweet work on the bollards.  Even partials aren't that easy and you did them well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Bob and Mark and everyone for all the likes!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi All,

The framing of the gun ports is moving along nicely and one pleasant thing I learned was that

there are no sweep ports to worry about.

A batten strip was pinned to the bulwarks at the previously marked reference lines and a smooth

run was established. I then marked the bulkheads for the final placement of the sills. The sill and

lintels were cut from boxwood.

post-43-0-65175500-1397221168_thumb.jpg

At the bow the bridle port fell over a bulkhead and the bulkhead had to be cut away prior to framing it.

post-43-0-42386600-1397221170_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-23709400-1397221172_thumb.jpg

To add the lintels a piece was cut at the correct height and long enough to sit on both sills this

gave a consistent height and eliminated the need to measure each one.

post-43-0-10515000-1397221178_thumb.jpg

I have done the preliminary sanding to the out board side.

post-43-0-96583100-1397221175_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-52644600-1397221173_thumb.jpg

On to the transom soon!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I'm starting to see the sheer line.  Glad to see the old spacer stick in play.

No sweep ports !!!!  Is nothing sacred????

Looking great!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Excited to follow your progress Rusty - great model and great modeler together are a perfect combination :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Outstanding work and great build log. You are making it easy to follow and are doing a great job of describing what you are doing with both text and pictures. I can't wait for Chucks book and plans to be available.

Al D.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Hi Chuck, Not gonna happen. The planking of the hull will take a loooooong long time if

I hope to come even close to your work..

Thanks Augie. They are so much fun aren't they!

Thanks Mike and Ben.

Thank you Al D. The practicum and plans are outstanding. You will love it.

Hi Bob, The pleasure is all mine.

Ok I've squirreled myself away most of the last few days and have made a good deal of progress.  

Here is a picture of the plans depicting the stern framing.

post-43-0-01529300-1397596666_thumb.jpg

There are eight stern frame sections  that fit into the slotted bulkhead section.

post-43-0-90713800-1397596656_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-96614900-1397596658_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-76989900-1397596660_thumb.jpg

The next step was to add the sills for the stern lights and the lintel filler pieces above

them. I used both the plans and the transom cut out to alien everything.

post-43-0-41752300-1397596662_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-87943000-1397596663_thumb.jpg

In case you can't tell I'm having a ball here! :)

Once it all dried the stern was sanded smooth. I then added framing the quarter

gallery entrance and the aft-most gun port.

post-43-0-74164300-1397596667_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty

Wow this is nice! For a journey into scratch this or Chuck's Cheerful is my choice (I have plenty to do while I wait). Great build and a stunning ship.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Very nice Rusty. It's such a shame that you're not having any fun at all! ;)

Thank you all for the likes. I see that you are all "liking" it as much as I am! ;)

aliluke, It is a great adventure into scratch building. The Cheerful looks like a wonderful

project too and that will be a build waaaaay down the road for me too.

Hi Bob, and I always look forward to your posts my friend.

Hi Grant yes it is such a shame that I have to toil away at this day after boring day. :D

Alright then. On to the hance pieces. These were cut from boxwood and are oversized

width wise. Once glued in place they were faired to match the hull lines. I have only

faired the outboard portion of the hull at this point.

post-43-0-96731600-1397839200_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-17705400-1397839203_thumb.jpg

To give you an idea of the length of the practicum this completes the third chapter.

In the forth chapter I will be planking the hull from the wales upward.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Dirk.

Hi Ben, Yep I'll probably be able to start laying some planks after I get back from the CT conference. :)

The first step in chapter 4 is to plank the lower counter. I used boxwood strips for this.

The method Chuck describes has the planks wet in water for about 15-20 seconds and

then edge bent and clamped. I probably soaked them for about 45 seconds. A hair dyer

was purloined from the admiral and using the hottest setting the planks were dried. Once

they cooled they were removed from the clamps and there was little spring back.

post-43-0-98220400-1398287089_thumb.jpg

Here is the counter planked. The outer edges still need to be faired.

post-43-0-85094100-1398287091_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Nice, neat work on that counter.  Have a good conference!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Now Grant, that is an invitation to much innuendo :) - sure is better than looking at the south end of a north bound camel though! ;)

Oh by the way Rusty, very nice planking; the boxwood looks great!

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Augie, It will be fun to see everyone again.

Yer scarin me Grant! :o  :D

Hi Pat. Although I haven't seen the South end of a North bound camel it brings images to mind that make me shudder. ;)  

Hi Joe, The build and lathe are both a lot of fun.

Hi Dirk, Please don't ever hesitate to add a comment critiquing or questioning my work. That's what this is all about. :) 

I believe you are commenting on the evenness of the curved pieces using the clamps. I failed to say a couple of pieces

did not make the grade and were tossed. That was the only picture I took. Once the pieces were bent to their shape the

first one was placed and matched the exact curve of the stern framing pieces. It had to be flexed about a 1/32" to match

the curve. The rest of the pieces were then placed to follow that curve. When I do this again I will cut a template and

bend to conform to it. It would sure save on the waste as well as being more even.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hey Ben, 260 miles vs 910 was the determining factor. If I could swing both I sure would! :P 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Now it is time to add the fixed blocks to the outside of the hull. These blocks are simulated

and do not pass all the way through the hull. A small hole was drilled at each end and then

the center cut out to make the sheave slot. A small piece of wood was then fit into the slot

with a groove cut into it to simulate the sheave. The blocks are then placed against the hull,

the sheave hole position was marked and then the hole was drilled through the hull. This will

ensure proper alignment when placing the inner block later on.

post-43-0-29731400-1399290051_thumb.jpg

The gun port opening have their first coat of paint applied and you can also see the batten strip

attached to the hull marking the location of the first row of planking.

post-43-0-91859500-1399290052_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty you make me want the book for this model even more. As usual Chuck has made the idea of scratch building seem possible. I also wonder how much of this is due to your skill?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

That red looks like a good color choice.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks all for the likes.

Hi Floyd, Chuck is making me look good not the other way around. Any kit that has Chucks plans and instructions

(Syren & Confederacy) could become a scratch build. They are that good. I'm sure that if someone has a couple of

models under their belt they could build the Winnie too!

Hi Augie, That is the same red I used for the Confederacy. It is Red Ochre from Admiralty Paints.

Thanks again all!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Bob. Ah the planking. That is going to be one of love hate relationships I'm afraid.

Hi Pete, Thanks for stopping by and it's always nice to hear from you.

Well I'm sure you can tell I've been away for a few days and also busy now that spring has

finally decided to show up. I was cleaning the workshop in preparation of starting the planking  

when I sucked a bit up. So I figured it was a good time to see how my experiment was going.

Back on MSW 1.0 Elia mentioned that he had a Oneida Systems Dust Deputy  hooked up to his

vacuum and it worked well separating the dust and wood pieces and keeping them from clogging

the vacuums filter.

post-43-0-41704100-1400012709_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-64361000-1400012711_thumb.jpg

So this past Christmas the Admiral got the Dust Deputy for me and I hooked it up in early January.

Usually after a month's worth of heavy cutting and sanding I have to clean my filter as I start losing

suction.  It's now been 4 full months and no loss of suction. I took it apart and measured a little over

7 inches of saw dust and debris in the bucket. I opened the shop vac and there was almost nothing

in it. I took the filter off and there was just a thin layer of dust on it that I blew off and it was as good

as new.

post-43-0-11599400-1400012714_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-07643500-1400012716_thumb.jpg

Now I have no interest in this company but if you have clogging issues like I did I recommend giving it a try. http://www.oneida-air.com

Ok the shop is clean and it's supposed to rain Thursday and Friday so hopefully I'll get some shop time!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)