HMS Winchelsea by Rustyj - POB 1/64 - 1764 - 32 Gun Frigate

Thanks Ben and Sjors. Only two coats of paint and when viewed up close you can see the differences

in the coverage. Several more will be needed.

Well this is the start of Chapter 5, planking the hull below the wales.

Chuck describes how to plank the hull with no drop planks at the bow and no stealers at the stern.

This is something I have never been able to accomplish. The description is very detailed and I'm

hoping to duplicate it.

First a paper tick strip was to be made and divide it into 5/32” increments. To keep as many errors

out of this process as possible I made my tick strip from 5/32" graph paper printed on card stock

instead of using a ruler and  pencil and transferring the marks to card stock.

post-43-0-87943600-1407086581_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-98166700-1407086544_thumb.jpg

Next I positioned the strip along bulkheads “1” and “A” and marked the increments. There are a

total of 24 planks so there will be 4 "belts" of 7 planks each.

Chuck wrote;

"We will have to determine the exact width of each strake at each bulkhead.  To do this, the hull is

lined off with graphic art tape into the four belts first."

I had some yellow pinstripe tape so I used that to mark off the hull belts. After applying the tape and

tweaking to get a smooth even run I sent these pictures to Chuck.

post-43-0-81946500-1407086546_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-70670300-1407086548_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-78188000-1407086550_thumb.jpg

His sharp eye caught some runs that weren't the best and sent this back which I used to adjust

the belts run.

post-43-0-88330100-1407086558_thumb.jpg

Now I'm off to do the starboard side.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

It's really great to have Chuck chiming in.  He's got some eye for these things.  Frankly, I would not be able to see this myself.  No drops or stealers  ...  I'll be rooting for you Rusty!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Rusty,

Nice pre-work for putting on a well thought through planking.

The Winchelsea has wonderful lines, and ship is beautiful built so far..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Go for it Rusty, no drops or steelers will be impressive if you pull it off.

Just a question on your math, 4 belts of 7 planks would be 28 total, not 24. 24 would of course be 4 belts of 6 planks?? Typo??

Ben

Thanks all for stopping by.

Yes Augie it's great to have access to Chuck and all his talents.

Thanks Nils.

Don't look too closely Sjors!

Hey Ben good catch. Only thing worse then my math is my typing so I was in trouble no matter what!  :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Ok...no math, no typing...just planking.  You'll be in fine shape. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Well in case you didn't notice I've been AWOL for a while now. August and the first week of September is really busy at work. 80 hours work weeks with no days off blah, blah blah. Boy that was no fun. I used to be able to do it no problem but now it kicks my butt. So it was work, sleep, dream of working on the Winnie and then back to work.  Once that was over  it was another week or so to catch up around the house with all the things that needed my attention.

So I've now looked at MSW and found 11 unread pages in the Kit Build Logs and 4 pages in the Scratch Build Logs. Not to mention, oops I just did, all the other topics!

So to all my friends out there I'm sorry I missed posting to your logs for the past 6 weeks and it may take another 6 weeks just to catch up.

Now that I've got my whining out of the way here is where I'm at.

I have not completed marking all of the bulkheads with the plank locations. That was over 1400 little pencil marks. I'm seeing little dashes in my sleep know.

post-43-0-57867300-1410975373_thumb.jpg

I've now started on the planking and here you see my first attempt at spiling a plank. You can see the curve compared to a piece of strip wood.

post-43-0-31672700-1410975376_thumb.jpg

Well I've now started the planking and will let you know how it goes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Once you get into a groove with this you will never go back to planking any other way!!!   Enjoy the process.  :)

Glad to see you back at it Rusty, I know how the work schedule reduces modeling time just lately!

Spilling looks good but I have to ask, is that Swiss pear that you are using or something else?

Ben

Hey Rusty, welcome back and a very nice start - I am sure you will get into the 'groove' of it fairly quickly as Chuck suggests.  I will follow along with interest .

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hey Rusty, great to see you back at it. This is going to be a great planking job to follow.

Thanks to all for stopping by and all the likes,

Hi Chuck, I am enjoying it. It's a little different to cut out but they lay down sooooo nice! B)

Thanks Jason.

Hi Ben, It' s good old boxwood. I've got to stop by and see how you are doing on the Pegasus.

Hi Pat, Good to be back, We'll see what kinda groove I get into here! :huh:

Hi Grant. Time will tell.

Hi Bob, I hope so and I've got to catch up with you as well as everyone else too! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Joe, Good to hear from you!

Sjors, Look as close as you would like. Just watch out for splinters.

Some planks had been placed, trashed and broken but progress has been made. At the bow I have fit and glued

the first 7 rows which is the first belt. I am working my way to the stern and will finish up the entire belt before

I move onward.

post-43-0-69766600-1411230271_thumb.jpg

Here is a demonstration picture of marking off the plank to be cut. The tape is placed on the hull and then using a

pencil you mark the edge of the plank where it meets the existing plank. Then I marked the bulkheads. At each

bulkhead I then mark the height that was already placed on the bulkhead. The tape is taken off and placed on the

wood to be cut out and using a French curve the top marks are connected giving you the shape of the plank. Because

the pencil lines are hard to see on the camera I traced over them with a sharpie so you can see them better.

post-43-0-63663500-1411230269_thumb.jpg

I won't use this piece as my tracing was a little to inaccurate.

For a much better description follow check's link above!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Some day I am going to have to take a course in "The French Curve".  I can never seem to get the right curves matched up.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hey Chuck, that's why you need to get a set of 'ship's curves' - slightly different lines ;):)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The planking is looking great Rusty.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Pat.  I'll look into it.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

How do I get ship's curves?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd,

post-76-0-94790800-1411960319.gif

http://www.amazon.com/C-Thru-Ship-Curve-Set-6/dp/B000HEOHVC

and

http://www.draftingsteals.com/21270.html

There's piles of listings.. Google:  "ship's curves set".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Oh you mean Bing? ;)

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

When starting the planking I wondered about the waste, or maybe better put, the amount of wood needed

to plank the hull in this manner. I started with a 2" x 18" piece of wood and I was able to cut all the spilied

planks for both sides and still had wood left over. I was very pleased with this.

Now onto my impression of this style of planking a hull. In the words of my sweet granddaughter

.......OMG........ though time consuming it was soooooo much easier to lay the planks. No twisting and

bending and forcing them into place.

Here are pictures of both side rough sanded. Once the entire hull has been planked I will progressively

sand it down to 400 grit and then seal with wipe on poly.

post-43-0-79715000-1412726631_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-00640200-1412726634_thumb.jpg

On to the second belts!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Yup, once you've spiled planking the proper way, you'll never go back to the frustration of trying to edge-bend, curve and twist a piece of wood again! Looking very good so far, Rusty.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv