HMS Winchelsea by Rustyj - POB 1/64 - 1764 - 32 Gun Frigate

Looks great Rusty.

Although spilling maybe an OMG moment I'm sure it still takes a lot of skill. It is certainly a skill that I wish to attain on my next build!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Druxey, I'm onto the second belt and with each plank cut out gets easier or I should say more comfortable.

Thanks Bob, Fun but slow.

Hi Alistair, Follow Chucks directions and you'll not have a problem.

Thanks Sjors.

Thanks everyone for all your likes too.

I'm heading back to planking now!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Beautiful work Rusty!

Are you spiling every plank or just the ones at the bow and stern with straight planks for the long runs amidship?

If you are going to St Louis will you bring your Winchelsea with you?

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Hi Jim, I do the bow and stern and then strip wood between. I do have to taper the strip wood though.

Also I will be away and can't make it to St Louis. The Admiral issued travel orders that can't be ignored. ;)

Thanks Ben.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elia,

It's was great to hear from you and thank you!

No pictures to post but I wanted to let you know that I am working along. Slow but sure. I've almost completed

the second belt of planking but work will halt for a couple of weeks as I have to take the Admiral on a vacation.

It's one of those good/bad things. Vacations are great but I hate missing the shop time.

See ya all in two weeks. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Look forward to the update Rusty, but have a great vacation in the interim - I am just back from a two week flit around Germany.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well I'm back and glad to be back in the shop and it feels sooooooo good. The first thing I did was

to clean up a bit. Mind you it had nothing to do with running out of room to work.

One of the things I did was solve the issue I had with my vacuum hose being the same diameter as the

outlet for my Byrnes tools. I broke out my handy dandy lathe and took a 1 1/4" PVC coupling milled the

inside diameter to match the outside diameter of the hose and bingo I had a quick coupling.

post-43-0-20995400-1415408610_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-06974300-1415408604_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-15129700-1415408606_thumb.jpg

The next thing I wanted to do was cut some sanding paper for my thickness sander. Normally there are

two 3" strips of sand paper on the drum. Sometimes though I sand wood that is 3" or wider. Now you can

put two strips of sandpaper side by side but that tends to leave a little grove in the wood from where they

meet. So I got some 6" wide sanding belts and cut strips  that cover the whole drum so now, if needed, I

can sand wood up to 6" wide now in one pass.

post-43-0-64790900-1415408608_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-33362300-1415408602_thumb.jpg

Ok back to actual modeling here. I have now completed planking the first two belts on both sides of the hull.

So far so good. Not stealers or drop planks. And as I said before it is slower but the planking is much easier. 

Everything has been sanded with 120 grit paper. Once the whole side is planked I'll finish sanding it

and apply a couple coats of wipe on poly. Now it's not a pristine as Chucks but I'm happy.

post-43-0-62730700-1415408612_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-53684500-1415408614_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Very nice....With a little luck I will be back at my Winnie in a month or so!!  I cant let you catch up to me  :)

Au contraire....  it's is very pristine, Rusty.  And nice work on the hose mounting and sanding strips.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's only 120 grit????  NICE.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Chuck, you could take two months and I'd still not catch you. :)

Thanks Mark.

Thanks Augie I used to do more sanding but found that it was hard to match the new planks so I just hit it lightly until all the planking is done.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Very nice Rusty  - and thanks for the tip on the 6" wide sanding belts for the thickness sander. Might have to investigate that myself.

Now what you done with the lathe just shows that you can make anything your mind can think off, nice. I also like the idea of the sand paper cut to the size you need. Nice tip. The ship is coming along nicely. Thank for the update and good to hear that your back in the shop. 

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Welcome back Rusty!

The first thing I did was

to clean up a bit.

Do not konw why but we are always cleaning and tidying up our shops, much more than cleaning the living room i.e... it´s something that the Admiral always says to me ..." You are always cleaning your shop!! is it so messy what you do upstairs?!"

Best wishes,

Daniel.

Incredible work, as always Rusty. Trying to catch up on some of my favorite builds this quiet Sunday morning. Can't wait til I get my hands on this amazing kit one day when Chuck releases it.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Good to see you back Rusty - thanks for the PVC coupling tip .

cheers

Pat

Hi Everyone. Thanks for the comments and likes.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you all. My PC's hard drive started failing and had to take her to the doctor.

During that time I was able to complete the startboard side planking, sanded it down and applied one coat of

wipe on poly. The good news is that I was successful in doing it without any drop planks or steelers. The bad

news is after sanding it a few joints aren't as tight as I would have liked.

All in all I'm happy with my first attempt at this type of planking. Hopefully the next one will be better

and the planks a little more uniform.

post-43-0-91029600-1416153584_thumb.jpg

Well I'm off to the port side to start the last two bands of planking.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That looks very good Rusty.   As fine as any planking job that I have seen.   I applaud your willingness to try the proper planking techniques of spiling and such.  Its different than just force bending and may take more time but once you start,  its something you will just continue to do.  Well done!!!  

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

If someone hasn’t tried it they can’t believe how much nicer it is to plank this way. This is my planking

method now. :)

Hi Sjors, Thanks but yes it can be done much better. Next time I’ll need to get the seams tighter and

the width of the planks isn’t uniform enough yet.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Very nice finish to that planking Rusty, well worth the effort.

cheers

Pat