HMS Winchelsea by Rustyj - POB 1/64 - 1764 - 32 Gun Frigate

Fantastic planking Rusty.

If someone hasn’t tried it they can’t believe how much nicer it is to plank this way

Couldnt agree more. It just looks soooooo much better this way. One thing I am struggling with a little bit is getting a smooth curve on the curved planks. Any pointers you'd like to share? :)  or is it just a question of experience. I am using walnut mind you and it's not the easiest of woods to cut (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :D :D ).

Nick

Nothing more to say.  It looks great....beautifully clean.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'll just add my voice to the chorus of praise Rusty - a very fine looking planking job indeed.

Ditto to all the above Rusty. That's reaaaaaaaaaaaal nice.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thank you for such kind words.

Nick. Practice, practice, practice. When I first started I rejected as many as I was accepting. I would

think walnut would also be a bit harder to get a smooth run. Also I use a sanding block whenever possible.

It helps me keep a clean edge.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

That's a lovely hull Rusty. Did you try applying some white glue in the small gaps then sanding over with 120 grit sandpaper? Oft times this hides them quite nicely as you are using the same wood as a filler.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi Greg and Ben,

Oh I've used the white glue sanding trick many times. There were only a couple of spots where I needed to do that. The joints that bother me the most were ones that weren't a tight as they should be but were filled with glue and dry before I saw them so there was no sand n fill possible. Oh well trying harder on the port side.

Chris, I could see where doing that with tung oil would work. Not so with the poly as it dries real fast.

Thanks everyone for stopping by and the like. Continuing to make progress.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Well I’m happy to say I’ve completed the planking on the portside too. No stealers or drop planks this

side either. All that is needed now is a good deal of sanding and then some wipe on poly. I have to say

planking this way is more time consuming but it works so much better and the run of the planks is much

easier to maintain. Definitely the way I will plank from here on out!

post-43-0-35930900-1417285014_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-51693400-1417285016_thumb.jpg

One thing I want to point out is that I handle a model a lot when I’m working on it. 

Because of this I would inadvertently rub off some of the pencil marks. To make sure

I didn’t lose the main belt line mark I used a sharpie to mark them. Then if I accidently

rubbed off any markings I could go back to the main mark and redo them.

After I check the hull over and make sure it’s all set I will move on to the stern. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Take a deep breath and smile.  That's what I'm doing !  NICE.....

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sweet planking.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, you seem to have mastered that technique pretty well Rusty.  Nice run of planking.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you all for the kind words and all of the likes. It is very much appreciated.

Well I’ve started chapter 6 now and started working on the stern. To start I have to cut the transom out of

some 1/32” plywood. I pasted the plans on and then cut it out with the scroll saw getting it close. I then

used various sanding tools to get it close to shape.

post-43-0-69975900-1417644865_thumb.jpg

The windows were cut out using an x-acto and finished with files too.

post-43-0-84573200-1417644867_thumb.jpg

Then the assembly was glued to the frame work.

post-43-0-58499700-1417644869_thumb.jpg

That's it for now!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That is one nice looking piece.  PLEASE use caution around those 'wings'.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Oh yeah I see major potential for an oops moment!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)