US Brig Syren by Shazmira - Model Shipways - 1:64

WOW!  Really nice, Robbyn.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 1 month later...

Okay, just so people don't think I have given up I thought I better put out a bit of an update. School finally ended last week!!!! Then I needed to put my garden back in for the third time  :huh: Hail took it out once, I replanted, and then a week later we had 3 nights of hard freeze that wiped it out again  :( . But now hopefully the third time will be the charm, and everything will survive. I got a bit carried away, last year my garden was only 16 x 16 and contained tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and cantaloupe. This year it is 30 x 65 and I added potatoes, onions, radishes, dill, leaf lettuce, and sweet corn to everything from last year, plus tripled what I planted last year. I will hopefully have a very busy fall getting everything canned, but I am looking forward to the challenge.

Now, as for boat building, I have been progressing with the planking, since there is only a single layer, I am taking my tie and trying to get this done right, I know most of it will be covered with copper plates, but IF I really like how it looks I might just forego the coppering, we will have to wait and see.

I would love to post pics, but my laptop seems to have contracted a virus of some sort so I can't use it right now. I will take it to my IT dept. and have them wipe it clean and reload everything, but until then I only have my school laptop and cannot load the software for my camera on it.

Pictures will have to wait until after the first of June. I will be leaving on vacation this Sat. we are riding down to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, and then riding back up through Colorado and will be gone for a week. I begin teaching summer session once we get back, so I will be able to get my laptop in to the IT dept at that time.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Good to hear from you!  Just had a tornado and hail scoot by about 2 miles south.  What a year!!!!

Your approach to the planking is top notch, Robbyn.  By doing a super job you'll give yourself options as to copper or not.  Now those are the kinds of choices you want to be making.  I look forward to your updates when you get back.

Have a great trip!!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Just planted some more green pepper plants myself over the weekend. Good Luck and Enjoy Life.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Have a great trip and see you on the flip side...  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Robbyn,

You are telling us you are back and in the same line you are telling us that you are leaving for two weeks.........NICE !!!!

But enjoy your trip and be back safe please......

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Excuses, excuses!

You sound like Jake Blues when trying to stop Carrie Fisher from shooting him!

I think you have put the HOBBY where it belongs, in your spare time when you feel like it. This will probably lead to better outcomes and less injuries.

Enjoy yourself.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I am back from a wonderful vacation, then sorry to say I spent the next 5 days in the hospital with pneumonia! Got released Thursday, but have felt so bad I have done nothing at all, just finally getting around today to doing all the laundry that accumulated, and I find that exhausting. To top it off, I woke up Saturday morning to a right hand that will not function normally, can't grip anything or move my thumb without causing intense pain. I am wondering if I contracted some sort of infection from the IV line that was placed in that hand, I guess I will have to go back to the doctor on Monday and see what is going on.

Vacation was good, saw a lot of beautiful sights and country, still have to say Colorado provides much more in the way of scenery than New Mexico. Had a bit too much excitement the last three days, travelling in the mountains on motorcycles in the rain and sleet was NOT particularly fun and there were a couple of mishaps. We managed to keep all our bikes upright, but on one dangerous stop did lose a helmet down the side of a mountain. Traveling over the continental divide in 34 degree temps, wearing no coats is also not recommended! Seriously think that is where I contracted the pneumonia. All in all, the company was good, the sights were grand, and I would do it all again!

Now, seriously hoping the hand will shape up so I can get back to making sawdust!

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes, Craig came through with a new beautiful pair of chaps for me, looking forward to wearing them on our next trip to Estes in July!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Welcome home.  Sure hope that hand heals up ASAP.  Like the recent movie says, there's 'A Million Ways to Die, in the West'.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Welcome home Robbyn. Glad to hear the vacation went well, but sorry to hear of illness on return. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Perhaps investing in some more new toys for the shipyard will speed up the recovery process. ;)

Done the pneumonia thing myself.... It's going to take about 6 months or so before you are really fully recovered from it. Take it easy your lungs will be pretty scarred. Model ship building should be great therapy.. ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

......except for the airborne sawdust, CA and paint fumes !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sam, yes, sorry to say it is the same hand that I unjured last year. Stupid thing never regained full mobility, but everything except the pinky finger was working well enough. I really don't know what the heck is going on with it. It is not swollen, or feverish. I just can't move the thumb without intense pain, or try to lift any weight with the hand at all. Doing nothing and it still screams at me in pain. I don't get it, I didn't hurt it in any way  :huh:  :(  :huh:  :(

Augie, yes, many ways to die in the west...actually thought it was going to happen to my friend when she couldn't get stopped on the slick road and almost went off the side of the mountain on her bike...the helmet was a small loss! As for fumes, well I do have my respirator for that since I already have such an issue with the CA lol

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hopefully the report you get tomorrow will be nothing but positive and your hand will return to normal quickly! Take care of that pneumonia...you don't  want a relapse.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Geez Robbyn, you should write a book on excuses !!

Seriously, good to have you back and I hope all works out for you.

Steve

• 1 month later...

I added blocks of balsa filler where I thought it would help me fasten difficult planks...guess what...it worked. Nice work you have going here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hallo Robbyn,

I know I´m rather late for this thread, and I hope of course you are well again meanwhile, but I may throw in some remarks yet:

1. did your doctors carry out a research for borrelia-antibodies or even antigens?  You´d find symptoms like yours with a borreliosis, aka lyme disease

2. a small dislocation of one or two cervical disks would cause similar problems .

After your cold, wet and scorching trip through the tick-ridden south both possibilities would be in line for your symptoms. 

All the best for you

Germanus

Edited by jo conrad

I apologize for my absence. I have been here, just not building atm. I had to deal with my mother's illness and subsequent death, and now the ship yard is in the process of being built, but at the same I am gutting the 100 y/o farm house we bought. Doing this room by room, kitchen is in the process now, and as I wait for things like sheet rock mud to dry etc, I step into the dry dock to get it built. Tough to do while working 60-70 hours a week. I still check in everyone's builds, and occasionally make a comment or two, but that is the best I can give right now.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hi Robbyn,

Glad to hear you are still hanging in there. I've been worried about you since you have had a really tough row to hoe this last year. We'll wait patiently while you work through everything. We miss you!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Instead of a model, having fun on a full scale house, are we?  ;)   Been there.. I know the turmoil of doing it.  I'm glad you're not giving but doing what you need to do to make things good.  When you can.. keep us posted.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice to hear from you Robbyn and glad that things are okay with you. We'll be here, waiting patiently, when you you're ready to resume building.

As the others have said, glad you are ok and getting on and remember this is a hobby, you don't owe it or us anything, just do your thing in your time.

Doing the kitchen...........brings back memories of a supposedly very fast drying floor sealant that took a week before we could walk on it!! That mucked our plans up and gave the fast food sales figures a boost!

Thanks for the update Robbyn.  Let's hope the rest of the New Year brings you nothing but happiness.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976