Constitution by patrickmil - Model Shipways - 1/76th

Looking forward to the final samples.  Holly should give you a brite, clean look with plenty of contrast.  But that maple may surprise you  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

For whatever its worth Patrick, I have favored the holly for my builds for quite a while now. Very easy to work with and looks good to my eye as a contrast to the hull planking. As everyone says, it's your opinion that counts.

Bob

Here are the samples with linseed oil applied. I like how it brings out the caulking lines.

post-122-0-33739500-1422732325_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-85283500-1422732334_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-29397400-1422732343_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Let the voting begin again!

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

That looks better for all samples. I still lean slightly for the third photo of the maple, but depending on which one contrasts better with the rest of the ship would sway me to a final decision. How do you like that for a non- answer :)

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Holly, again

(with the usual disclaimer regarding Captain's choice)

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I'm going to stick with the Holly Patrick, but in the end, you have only to please yourself. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Darned, they both look good.  But it's Maple for me!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Your gonna wish you never asked this question mate.

I like both but seeing them oiled up has made me change my mind, MAPLE.

Whichever you choose will look good.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I'm completely happy with using maple for the deck planking. The admiral also weighed in on the question and she thinks the maple looks nicer as well. Since I was unable to decide on my own I appreciate everyone giving me their opinion. I will start ripping off maple planking then.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick,

What type of saw do you rip planks with and if you had the opportunity to select the type saw again would you pick a different type? Somewhere in the future I can see myself cutting my own planks and have read some people use a band saw and others a table saw. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I do not currently have a power saw for ship building, leaning toward a table saw since it seems so versatile. I thought a decent saw and planer would round out my needs when I'm ready to jump to that level of building.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Patrick, very nice build you have going.  I salute you and the other Conny builders who are actually framing the gun deck, rear windows, transom etc.  This is a much more accurate approach to what I've done, which is the MS kit way.  I wish I had done what you're doing but I'm much to far along now to tear it out start over.  The transom and windows on mine will never look quite right, no matter how hard I try...

Keep up the good work!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Larry, I use a full size table saw to rip billets with lengths of 12-18" and the width of 2-3" and with a height that will be the final width of the planks. I take this billet and then rip it on the little Proxxon table saw in 1/16" thicknesses. The results are nice but it is time consuming for sure.

Wes, thanks for looking in and thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Did I miss the Birthday party ??

Was there cake ??

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Happy "B" day Patrick!

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes! I have the next week off before I start my new position. I should have a couple of updates by then.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

• 1 month later...

It's been a while for a post. I had to go back to page 12 to find my log. Work is new and I'm getting adjusted to it. Also, most of the progress isn't Earth shattering. It's mostly just framing gun ports and some planking.

The gun ports were all framed in a 15 mm x 13 mm size. It's uniform and easy to follow. It might now be what Model Shipways had on their plans but hey, this model is dating back to 1803 at the latest so who's to say that the size of these openings hadn't changed a little bit. They are all framed up on the starboard side. The port side is next. I also couldn't resist the planking above the wales. I just had to do it. I'm not following any particular planking scheme either. I feel that the scale won't lend itself to showing individual planks and the hull will be painted over anyway. Like my Niagara, I want a perfectly smooth hull, hence the reason why I'm not sweating the planking too much. I also got the transom filled in. The port side gallery is starting to take shape as well, and the waterways are complete for the gun deck. I will finish framing up the port side gun ports and plank that area. Once that's done I will start work on the deck. I am going to go with maple planking and have just purchased a 13" bench planer that ought to help get some planking billets into the proper thickness. I hope you enjoy the pictures. As always, feel free to point and yell about any critical areas that could use more attention.

post-122-0-05112100-1425703741_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-19898300-1425703749_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-38772900-1425703758_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-92333700-1425703766_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-52578200-1425703777_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-00583300-1425703791_thumb.jpg

post-122-0-90322000-1425703798_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Nice to see it all coming together, Patrick.

A question (which I think I know the answer to) ...

Will you be havin' six windows ... or eight ??

(PS: I'm still interested in any plans you made for the stern supports, if they are available to the general public)

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)