RMC

HMS Vanguard by RMC - Amati/Victory Models - scale 1:72

905 posts in this topic

Thanks Jason.  In the last couple of weeks or so, it's been one step forward, two steps back.

The foreyard has finally been hoisted.  It was a rather fraught process.  The jeers, sling, truss pendants and nave line are all done, though nothing has been finally tied off yet.  At least I learned a lesson when some of the stays became slack in the hot weather.

Here are the jeers in prgress.  I found it best to gradually raise the yard by about 10mm then tighten the lines to the blocks then repeat the process until the yard was at the correct height. It took quite some time.

Here is the start ....

post-823-0-39931200-1487567343_thumb.jpg

...and about halfway up.

post-823-0-36645100-1487567689_thumb.jpg

Rigging the sling was a bit fiddly.  I lifted the sling to give easier access, tied the thread to the upper thimble, then  down to the lower thimble,  then repeated the process (make sure the thread is long).

post-823-0-55697200-1487567792_thumb.jpg

(I changed the 'tarred' thread for natural)

post-823-0-08803400-1487568191_thumb.jpg

Finished, though not tied off.

post-823-0-49032700-1487568350_thumb.jpg

post-823-0-77888700-1487568452_thumb.jpg

Here is the nave line. I'm not sure the result was worth all  the trouble, though I am glad now that it's there. All the rigging surrounding it made the whole thing a rather fraught process.

post-823-0-77716000-1487568510_thumb.jpg

post-823-0-31966800-1487568877_thumb.jpg

This what the yard now looks like -since taking these photos I have made the footropes to hang properly.

post-823-0-97114000-1487568974_thumb.jpg

post-823-0-99003600-1487569059_thumb.jpg

post-823-0-05675300-1487569140_thumb.jpg

I have corrected the four single blocks attached to the rear of the top: they were upside down :(.  I followed a suggestion from Arthur to drill holes above the existing (too low) holes.  I then filled the original holes.  All is now well. :) (I hope.)

aew and Jdieck like this

I used Chuck's blocks so just now I realize the blocks on the kit have only one hole. More complicated having to watch for block orientation.

Good you could correct it. Great work.

I wish now that I had used his blocks.  I don't think they were available when I started.  His thread is certainly better than the kit thread - not all that expensive, but the postage to Oz is a bit fierce.

donrobinson likes this

DSCN2008_01.thumb.JPG.0d5fee0fcfad33b8fb00565b8873c266.JPGI am now belaying some of the rigging to the bitts at the foot of the foremast. I have done and undone various lines a number of times. It occurred to me that there is a problem if the various lines are belayed piecemeal without an idea of just how many lines have to be done, and in what order it is best to do them.  In the case of the foremast bitts, they are very crowded indeed. The belaying points shown in the plans are spread over 4 sheets.

The following drawing gives an idea of just how crowded they are, and, I hope, how best to plan the belaying. The belaying points are shown numbered, and the plan numbers are shown in parenthesis. This may help some other poor souls who share my frustration.^_^

donrobinson likes this

Excellent!  You've done an amazing job. Thanks for posting the photos. 

Crowded indeed. With sails it adds four or six more lines on each bit. I installed four belaying pins on each bit but more than half of the lines I had to belay just around the cross member of the bits. Install one, rip two... LOL ; -)

Thanks Roadking. A bit of encouragement is always welcome.

JOSE - a photo of your bitts would be very helpful.

I  am now off for a week to play some moderately bad golf on some beautiful courses on the far south coast of New South Wales.  The rigging can go hang itself in themeantime.B)

Best photos I could get with the ipad Sorry.

As you can see, it was a nightmare getting all of them in there.

Also As you can see I was very happy with the top quality of Chuck's blocks, smooth, two holes, properly rounded and grooved for the rope and ties.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mort stoll, WackoWolf, AON and 3 others like this

Great and remarkable job! I have always been interested in this ship and have a small bank account set up to save for it.  After seeing your work, I think I will go and make another deposit this morning.

Bill

donrobinson and Altduck like this

Thank you Bill.

Arthur, your model is unsurpassable and Bob here is doing a great job!

One thing I was not happy of how it ended up was the serving. I used very thin line and after taring the rope the serving is barely visible. You can only noticed on portions of the stays but not on the shrouds. Experience for the next one I guess.

Thanks Bob, the party was great, ate like a pig. Now on a diet to lower what I gained and get my sugar back to normal:(

Enjoy your vacation as you have some threads waiting!!

donrobinson likes this

I have finally tied off most of the lines to the fore bitts.  They came out reasonably well (though not nearly as well as Jose's).

This is how they came out.

Now I'm not sure of the next step - do all of the yards on the foremast? or the lower yards on each mast?  Advice is very welcome.

DSCN2009_01.JPG

The following photo isn't as clear as it could be, and I have made a minor adjustment to the lines since it was taken.

DSCN2010_01.JPG

DSCN2013_01.JPG

DSCN2014.thumb.JPG.4ba3d2f39a38f4f46418862bece869a3.JPGIt's time to hoist the main yard.  Looking at the number of lines that must be tied off around the bitts is rather daunting - by my count, sixteen.

(I see I still haven't quite got the hang of the new system.) The above photo shows the number of the various lines and the plan number in parenthesis.  The lines shown here as incorrect are found on plan 11 to be belayed to the poop deck rail. To do this is, I think, to invite disaster. I have chosen to use Petersson's method.  If anyone has something to add (or preferably to subtract), please let me know.

donrobinson and mort stoll like this

The main yard is now on, the truss pendants and the jeers are belayed, though not finally tied off.  In the diagram in my previous post, the nave line was omitted - that makes seventeen lines to be tied off somehow. I had more than enough fun :angry: belaying the five lines so far done. At this stage I don't know whether to finally tie off these lines now  and make up their respective rope coils.  With another dozen lines to fit it, won't be possible to coil them all.

Here is how things stand at the moment.

The photo of the nave line is quite poor I'm afraid.

DSCN2018.thumb.JPG.a5c1236145db4ee51a9f648bc55b2da3.JPG

The fore and main yards are reasonably lined up. Adjustments can be made if necessary.

DSCN2019.thumb.JPG.4d487163c0e419467b96b789ffc27409.JPG

At the moment there seem to be lines going all over the place.

DSCN2021.thumb.JPG.5b20e6072ca17478fd9609a7527dcc11.JPG

DSCN2025.thumb.JPG.a65e199433542303c7a9cb954cd24f8a.JPGDSCN2024.thumb.JPG.99a9aaebbca78dea0de762648e2ec696.JPG

DSCN2022.JPG

donrobinson, WackoWolf, AON and 1 other like this

Hi Bob.

Be patient. It is looking very very good.

For what is worth, I had to tie more than half the lines to the rail in front of the mast.. If you look at pics of the model prototype, it seems that Chris did it that way. Seems not to be other practical option.

Also you can consider tieing the lines and add false coils later. 

Best regards and keep up the good work.

donrobinson likes this

Thanks for the encouragement Jose. I have been doing my best to forget about belaying lines for the time being. Unfortunately I chose to put up the fore top yard which requires a parral to attach to the mast. I looked to Petersson for the method of mounting the parral  as well as a few build logs. Alas, I am no wiser.  In particular the illustrations in Petersson are essentially useless - at least to me.  Here they are.

DSCN2031.thumb.JPG.a4789965ffc2c95bf64f51e68f1bc20f.JPG

So far, so good ....

DSCN2029.thumb.JPG.504c088442836f3cc1c437584d04c3ed.JPG

I used a dummy mast and yard to see how the thing may work.

DSCN2028.thumb.JPG.bfd6ad59f68f1378540a3d185fcdd2c8.JPG

And here is how it is supposed to end up, though how is a mystery to me.  Help would be gratefully received.

DSCN2032.thumb.JPG.75459460edcb6dc4c58cff49f170cf97.JPG

Strange, your latest posts didn't appear in 'unread content I follow'.

I found these a real nightmare to tie. Ignore that first picture of Petersson's, it's an illustration of the parts but bears no practical relationship to the second drawing.

If you want to try and replicate that last drawing, start with a length of line with an eye at one end and thread it through the bottom holes of the ribs and the trucks. At this point i recommend attaching a short length of wire or a loop of thread to the eye, passing it over the yard and taping or clipping it to the mast to hold the eye just in front of the yard. Now pass the free end over the yard at the other side of the mast. At his point all the ribs will want to hang upside down! (The flat sides should be outward).

Bring the free end back under the yard and pass it under itself where it exits the ribs. Now thread it back through what will be the tops of the ribs and another set of trucks. From there, the free end now goes under the yard and comes back over the top.

This is where the fun starts. As before, pass the free end under itself where it exits the last rib. What you have to do now is lift all the ribs up so they're the right way up and take in all the slack. The free end is going to lay across the centre of all the ribs to keep them in position. At this side, you already have two lines crossing over each other. Pass the free end under the bottom one of these and then over the yard. Hopefully at this point the assembly should be holding its position. Again thread the free end under the bottom line and out onto the middle of the ribs. Make sure you've taken out all the slack and run it back across the middle of the trucks. Once more, pass the end under the bottom existing line and then under the yard.

At this point you should size an eye in the end of the line. If you mark where the eye should be and pull the line back behind the mast, it should be possible, but at this point I've cheated and threaded the end through the first eye and then made it off under the yard!

This method comes with a health warning - swear box, blood pressure tablets and sedatives should be within easy reach.

mort stoll and donrobinson like this

Thanks Arthur.  I'm just about to try your method having exhausted mine.  My swear box is already full - I now have enough to buy a house, new car and a block of flats.  Blood pressure tablets? already taken, but maybe a back-up or two may be wise ....

Fantastic modelling, all that realistic detail, very clean and neat.........hope I reach this kind of quality some day..............

Cheers,

Koen.

donrobinson likes this

Valter - thanks for the kind comment - but as far as the 'chip' is concerned, I'm afraid you have the wrong man.

Hi Koen - thank you too for the kind comment.

donrobinson likes this

Hi Bob:

Arthur described the process to install the parrals very well and the final product is closer to scale. In any case there is a short cut that may not be pure scale but the difference may be barely noticeable.

Get a thread of good lenght, the longer the easier. Thread one end through the bottom of the yard and the other throught the top of the yard on one side of the mast. Thread the parrals and ribs on both the bottom and the top threads. Pass the threads on top and bottom of the yard on the oposite side of the mast and tie both ends in front of the yard, apply some glue to the knot, cut the excess thread and you are done.

donrobinson likes this