Tool suggestions

Hi all. This is my first post but I've read lots. I'm working on my second boat and I'm almost to the rigging phase. My first boat was the Mississippi queen so I didn't need much help with rigging. I'm currently working on the AL San Francisco II. Basically what suggestion would you guys have as far as usefull tools. I have a solid background with wood and haven't struggled much with the woodworking part but I'll be honest the the rigging is intimidating. Also any suggestions on tapering techniques for the mast would be greatly appreciate.

Johnny

Regards,

Johnny

Go Buckeyes!!!

Current Build...

US Constellation 1798 POB (bashed) build log

A lot of people use tools found around the house that the wife use, just don't get caught using her stuff. I am sure people will step in and tell you what you can find and what you might want to buy at CVS and places like that.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Long tweezers are very handy for maneuvering lines around where fingers will not reach, and to belay lines to pins. Dental tools with hooks, picks, probes on the end are great for such as well. I am lucky to have a dentist in my local model club who donates his used tools. You can make some similar items by removing half the eye of a sewing needle, leaving a Y fork type tool. Just epoxy the other (sharp) end into a dowel to serve as a handle. You will also need sewing needle threaders to thread lines through blocks. The thin aluminum ones can even be wrapped around a dowel and glued to extend your reach.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

When I tapered the masts on my first model, I first drew a circle at the top of the dowel to show me the center and limits as I whittled down the dowel to look like a tapered mast. I used sandpaper in that case, however I have purchased a small wood plane for my future mast tapering.

Good luck,

Rich

I have tapered mast and spars using a knive and sanpaper.  I have also rough shaped it down then used a drill and sandpaper for the final shaping.

David B

I clamp my electric drill motor in my  vise, chuck up the mast stock in the drill and use very course sandpaper at first and progressively finer until I get the finish I want. I use a caliper to check the diameter. and a batten to check the taper.

Its fast, efficient and "works for me"

Ted

Thanks

Ted

Calm Seas and Fair Winds

On the ways:   HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina

Launched:       Scottish Maid - Artesania Latina

On the Shelf:   Minature lifeboat - Model Shipways

Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Emma C.Berry - Model Shipways

Johnny

For tapering spars without power tools here is a link to how I did it for my current build.  Check out this post and the one following it for two different types of taper.  I am just getting to the rigging phase myself, so I don't have anything to offer on that front.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/217-bluenose-by-bhermann-model-shipways-2130-164/?p=11773

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Hello Johnny,

First, let me thank you for this topic as I'm starting the ridding of my SF II. I also feel intimidated by the ridding as the picture in the manual are fuzzy and not very useful, It's good to know that I'm not alone in this situation :).I try to check some other logs to get more informations.

For the tools, I use the long tweezers like Joe have mentioned previously.

Ben

Another useful tool to have for your rigging lines is bees wax. The wax helps all those little fluffy strands disappear. Before attaching the rigging line to the model, run the line over some wax and pull through you fingers a few times.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Don't forget a couple of smallish hemostats. They're nice to clip on to a line and leave hanging to apply uniform tension while seizing lines. Also a few"roach clips" alligator clips, I think you can still get em from Radio Shack while they're still around. BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

• 3 weeks later...

Tools I use for rigging.
Clamps are used for preliminary tensioning of threads prior the final arrangement of rigging
as also for marking individual threads for proper belaying it.
Mini drill is suitable for cleaning holes in blocks if was blocked by glue or lacquer.
Extra thin copper wire is the best solution for pass threads through blocks.

post-8878-0-21708400-1398126132_thumb.jpg

Tadeusz

My models:

From kits

Vasa, HMS Victory, Le Solei Royale, Friesland

From scratch

HMS Warrior 1860, Esplanade, Grosse Yacht

Norman’s ship, HMS Speedy, La Royale

Peter von Danzig

Polacca XVII cent.

Current project:

SS Savannah 1818

Just a quick question from a noobie.  Someone mentioned here and I've seen it before about drawing the rigging thru beeswax before using.

Doesn't that interfere with the adhesives used to "set" the knot?  Or am I thinking of the wrong kind of glue for that purpose?

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

• 2 weeks later...