Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

thanks for the likes..........and thanks for the kind comment Pat.   gee.....if that were the case,  all the muffled shouting from within my closet,  would have the door vibrating!  :D  :D     Horton heard who?!?!?!  :)

well then........I think I should answer her calls for affection,  eh?  yesterday was her lucky day!  the outcome of this session had one small problem......but I doesn't pose too much of a bother, and won't impact the model.   it's time to make the net rigs....I need two of them.   that means that I need to make four end brackets.   the cross bars were cut down by 10 mm,  in relation to the nets.  I have the four end caps,  that will be the basis for the brackets.   holes were drilled and brass rod was fitted and bent.

post-612-0-83552700-1484932694.jpg

while these were drying,  the rope coils were added to the haul line terminations

post-612-0-85251200-1484932781.jpg

along with their installation,  the spreader bars were added to the shrouds.

post-612-0-97293200-1484932875.jpg

post-612-0-99068200-1484932887.jpg

post-612-0-11813600-1484932900.jpg

this can be considered my first attempt in making the brackets......it might have been better to do these in plastic......... metal I think would have issues with heat sink,  making them tougher to make.  if these don't work out.....there are other options.   anyway.......rub boards were added to the assembly.  they offer protection from the rig,  should it make contact with the hull sides {I think that's the purpose for them}.

post-612-0-40273500-1484933843.jpg

they will be trimmed to length,  when they are complete.   I mentioned the tool that I used to make the rigs for the Cux 87 build.   how many folks remember it?

post-612-0-32302300-1484933946.jpg

to have the rig lying on the table during the assembly,  is not fun.  when the chain is added to the rig,  it can be hung up, making it a lot easier to rig the rest of the chain lengths.   you'll get a better view later on.  ;)  at this point,  I thought it better to assemble the brackets on the bars........should the holes I need to drill get too deep,  the hole will be filled with the bar {dowel},  and drill into it as well.  splitting might not be an issue either  {fingers crossed}.

post-612-0-18804300-1484934622.jpg

post-612-0-43971200-1484934634.jpg

each end will need about three eye bolts.   the first of them will double as a brace.   these will connect the outer lip of the net.......another pair will connect the inner lip of the net,  and the third pair will be used to connect the chain.

post-612-0-09717100-1484934892.jpg

post-612-0-00446400-1484934904.jpg

it's also reached the point where the fish box and the conveyors can be cemented in place.   due to the position of the companionway,  the starboard gallows were set back a bit further.......this also affected the position of the shrouds.  the port side was not affected by this at all.  this had consequences for the starboard dump ramp....too far forward,  and the ramp will hit the shrouds.   I forgot about that.   I can still have the port side in the down position.   it's not too big a deal.

I just don't want to risk damaging anything........and I want to complete the build......and I still feel good about what I've done with the model.

post-612-0-41221900-1484935731.jpg

I had another thought.....I had it earlier as well.   I need some light brackets......so some were roughed out.

post-612-0-32700700-1484936250.jpg

I found another light that I didn't fill the lense with window maker....I did that too.

post-612-0-23321600-1484936309.jpg

the latest aspects added to the build,  are these beads.....later to be painted and used as flotation buoys on the nets.

post-612-0-86947300-1484936497.jpg

this build is like the energizer bunny.........it just keeps going .......and going...........and going.................;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Denis

Marvellous, marvellous and marvellous. I don't know how you do it, but you do everything so darn well.

I reckon the only things missing are the crew, fish and some rust stains!

I too, will be sad to see this one finished. I hope you've got a nice display case sorted for her...

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I think you can say you have sated her needs of some TLC Denis, she is looking amazing with all that detail in place. With the extras you have planned she will look very much the part of a hard working trawler.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks for the kind comments  every one...........and thanks to all who hit the like button.    ohhhhhhh noooooo..........she's still far from being finished ;)   no laments just yet.   I haven't even made the decals yet.......gotta get some fresh ink for the printer.   it will be a very happy day though when I get 'er done.  for those who would like to see more on fishing boats.......I have two others in the que.  the Boulogne Etaples........and the mystery rigger {not sure what she'll turn out to be}

not to worry John......we still have the Thermopylae  ;)

I did good..........I did Pat  :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

oh....no!   we can't have that!  ;)    still more to go Carl........thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John  :)     I'm a mile behind you my friend  ;) ........some of your ideas {and the stuff you make your parts from},  are more innovative than me!  

our logs are just a smidgen of what MSW contains...........that's what makes MSW an awesome site!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hi all  :)    progress this week has been spotty at best.   none the less,  I have been able to visit the table for short periods of time.  I was able to paint the lenses for the mast lights...inside surface.  you may see a tinge of color.....the two perched side to side are done in yellow,  and the one straight forward is in white.

post-612-0-66619900-1485539317.jpg

the other two pairs of eye bolts were drilled and cemented in place on the net rigs.   that finishes them up,  so the next step will be to rig them with chain,

post-612-0-28246300-1485539468.jpg

post-612-0-01584100-1485539481.jpg

I couldn't remember how I set up the net rig rack.......perhaps I should have looked back into mu own log  :D  :D    it seemed like the rig was too low......but I think I held it in place in another way.  the chain is attached to the eye bolts with 4 mm metal rings......I bought these at Hobby Lobby.   they are really small.......can't tell you how many I've lost so far......either launched from the pliers,  or catapulted by a slip of the chain.   the center was found and the center support chain was put in place.

eye bolts will be along the bar to attach them.

post-612-0-57636600-1485539634.jpg

post-612-0-52552200-1485540148.jpg

another pair of chains divided the two sides....these will be attached as well.

post-612-0-94710700-1485540234.jpg

I have around 17 beads to make the buoy string.   I have a bad feeling that this will not be enough.   I began to paint them.

post-612-0-23730400-1485540352.jpg

while we were out the other day,  we stopped in at Hobby Lobby.   I needed more small drills,  since the last one I had broke last week.   I couldn't believe that they didn't carry drill assortments....I ended up getting another pin vise which had a small index of five drills in it.   I'll have to look online I guess.  I also found these.....they are the same as I am using,  just without all the different sizes {I bought a multi pack last time}.

post-612-0-81441400-1485540691.jpg

I also got the outer chain on the other net rig....it's waiting it's turn on the rack.

post-612-0-56456300-1485540803.jpg

should I get any more done today.....I will post it.   I have to go out again  :(                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Those trawls will look excellent; nice improvisation Denis.

cheers

Pat

HI Denis

I have to say, Denis, that your attention and commitment to getting things absolutely correct and realistic is paying off.  After all, it's the tiniest details that can make or break a model.  Your's is right on the money :) !

Cheers

Patrick 

thanks for the kind comments and the likes.........I wish I had gotten more done on them.   when they are assembled,  they'll be painted a flat gray.....then I can work on fitting the nets.   I really need to get some new ink jets for my printer.....still gotta make decals  ;)

thanks again for look'in in.....hope to have more soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

Look up MSC Industrial.  They will have the sizes you want.  I used to buy in packages of 10 ea because of shaky hands and if dropped they disappear into the unknown.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01186204

David B

thanks David...I'll take a peek.   me.......I just break'em  :)   haven't done much to the 'ole girl.......been a rough couple of weeks.   I was sick all this week,  but today I'm feeling better.....gett'in the urge to do something constructive,  instead of lay'in  'round the house like a wet dish rag.   thanks for look'in in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sorry you were down, missed my chance to whip your ***, didn't I. Glad you're  feeling better. Think about it, two wet rags going at it, wondering why, dripping all over the place and along comes the wringer. Be watching for your progress on this Boat, it has kind of grown on me.

jud :pirate41:

hello Jud.......no need for you to come all that way........just tell my admiral.....she'd be glad to do it  :D  :D       she reminds me of that comic piece I saw one time,  where she told the patient that they were all out of enemas......so,  she'd have to kick the sh__ out of 'em!   yea,  I was in tough shape for the last few days.......thanks,  I am feeling better  :)   I've been trying to catch up again here on the site,  which I was doing Tuesday,  when I got to the point where I couldn't do it any longer.   I didn't even turn on my computer for the past couple of days.   I was going to tinker with the trawler a little,  but it seems I've spent the better of my time here.   I took tomorrow off,  so perhaps I can make up for lost time....maybe even on the Thermopylae too.

I'm glad your still following along.....us two wet rags gotta stick together,  don'tcha know  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Look forward to seeing you back in the shipyard Denis; sorry to hear of yor ails but happy you are on the road to recovery - a few of the finest of brews may assist further ;)

cheers

Pat

thanks Patrick and Pat for the well wish,  as well as those who looked in.   I'm doing much better........although I didn't get to the table,  as I would have liked.         I did yesterday though....even implemented my idea with the center lift ring,  which looks much better.   now,  instead of seeing a ring with chain crowded at the bottom,  you see clear connection points.   I hope to have an update soon  ;)

thanks all for following along!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I wish I had more progress to show,  but I move and swing too much.   I also later found out that the beads I bought are the wrong size......further going through my inventory again........fruitless.   so, I will have to bring one with me,  to insure that I have the right ones.  to used the ones I got,  they would be too out of scale.  that won't happen today......we're in the grips of a heavy snow storm  {and I just got done picking up from a smaller one the other day}.

I did get the first rig completed........paint is the next step.

post-612-0-37103200-1486654653.jpg

I also changed the arrangement of the center lift ring.........using a slightly larger one as well.   it gives better detail of how the chains are tied together.   

post-612-0-41903300-1486655075.jpg

so now,  it's the other rig's turn........I made sure to do the same with it's center lift ring.   not pictured here,  is the drilling of the three eye bolt holes in the bar,  and filling them with an eye bolt.   these will set a while to dry.....something I learned while assembling the first one.

post-612-0-25487300-1486655349.jpg

from here.......I decided to get into a mental battle with another build.    this feeble bit of progress was a refreshing return to the table  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Always fun to see what you are fabricating next Denis, the chain set up looks good. interesting how we all go about achieving a complex task. I would have worked with the chain flat on the table But I can see that by doing it the way you have, there is the natural effect of gravity to give just the right amount of sag to the chain, which would be impossible to achieve on the flat.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Yeah - snow day. I got to work from home today. Haven't done that in a while. Those fishing rigs are just fascinating. I have no idea what the finished items will look like from the parts, but you do which is cool.

Small but significant progress Denis, the look of the chain on those drag poles/booms look very natural - great effect achieved.

cheers

Pat

thanks to all of the kind comments and those who hit the like button  :)  the past couple of weeks had me with the brakes on.........it feels good to be back at the table  :)    I didn't get much done today either......spent the day trying to catch up on all the logs I follow  {I'm almost caught up now}.    I thought I had the right size beads........stinks that I was wrong.   it holds me back till I can get the correct size.   no matter........there are other things  ;)

thanks Michael.........just a newbie idea....I think it was back in 2010.   as a matter of fact,  I was looking through the Cux file,  to see how I connected the buoy line,   when I saw this picture:

post-612-0-49162300-1486684535_thumb.jpg

it also orients the bar and end caps better,  as seen here.  I never really gave it much thought,  concerning the flat sections of the end caps........rub bars,  in the event that it scraped along the hull.   I don't even have those oval rings any more.....just some big ones,  that I may never use.  I'm glad I didn't toss the tool out  :)

hey there Tom..........are you situated in the blizzard zone?   we had heard that parts of Mass was under a blizzard warning.  I tried to clear some of the snow........but the wind was blow'in so bad....I said the heck with it!  we have well over 12 inches here.......and the drifts are worse!  ;)   the picture above show them unpainted.....when these two that I'm making now are painted,  they will look even better.  thanks for the good word and look'in in  :)

thanks Pat!    Yea I know.......I say it myself  "any progress is good progress."  :)    I just glad I have a habit of keeping all of the instruction sheets.   not that I couldn't remember how I made them.......but they made the task easier.   thanks for the good word my friend  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

I must admit that you've done an excellent job on shaping those chains so naturally.  They look very realistic.  A few strands of seaweed hanging off them, wouldn't go astray either ;) .

All in all, just lovely.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thanks gents  :)     the other rig is assembled!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: