Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

the other net rig is done........once the center lift was attached,  the two other support chains were fastened in place.

post-612-0-96310000-1486773450.jpg

....and then they were attached.   for some reason,  I had a little trouble lining them up.   when I did the first one,  I drilled the holes at that point and fitted the eye bolts.   but I had already measured this one out,  so I did 'em beforehand.   

post-612-0-82890200-1486773596.jpg

I couldn't get the beads out of my mind........I knew we were going to Wal-Mart.   they had a package of assorted beads,  so now I have what I need.   painting to follow.........and hopefully the nets  ;)

thanks for look'in in.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I love chain work...nicely done.  Not sure...did you blacken the chain?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

thanks Rob..........no,  the chain is as I bought it.   it kinda stinks because there is a shininess to it.   this will all be painted flat gray.......I'm hoping that I bought the same gray,  that I painted the inner bulwarks.   I made a boo boo with a slightly darker gray,  and I need to fix it.

thanks for the kind comment .........and thanks to all who hit the like button  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

what to do on a snowy day........can't spend all day antagonizing the admiral.......so perhaps I should bury my face at the table {from the looks of the table,  that's essentially what I'd be doing}.    I got my first cup of coffee...........oh!   excuse me,  I should give the reason why I was home on Sunday........and today,  for that matter.   I took these days off.........Walking Dead resumed last night....and it did not disappoint!   don't know how many here follow it.......but it's one of a few shows I really like!   >cuddle time for me an' Gibbs anyway.....crazy dog!<

so anyway.........my coffee.......settle at my desk and switch on the computer.    I got this crazy idea to string the beads for painting.   I started to paint them individually,  but I think that would be like water torture........and I saw that I had done the beads for the Cux in this manner as well.   I also reverted to the rope that started it all.........hemp.   I still have plenty of it.

I rigged the Nordkap with it.........and the Cux too,  if I recall.   I still like how it looks so much like actual rope,  when coiled up.

post-612-0-99800600-1486988314.jpg

I'm going to give them a coat of primer first,  since they are different colors and clear coated.   I separated the colors,  for no particular reason.   if you look close to the last few on each strand,  you'll see the original beads I started with.

post-612-0-18393400-1486988488.jpg

I'm also going to use the hemp to line the mouths of the nets.   one redundant property of hemp thread,  is that it is a little stiff.......it will work in my favor,  in keeping the nets open.   the thread needs to be sewn on........there laid the problem.  if I wasn't sticking myself with the needle,  I was fumbling with the needle,  juggling between the net,  the hemp thread,  and the needle itself.   I need a third hand here....and so I made one.   cementing a paper towel roll on a piece of pine board,  I had what I needed........I even set up another table to work on.   

post-612-0-31234600-1486988921.jpg

it was still a little clumsy though.......the hemp thread wanted to be a fly in my ointment.   I cemented an eye bolt in one of the thumb tack holes,  and made a do it yourself guide for the thread.

post-612-0-35442700-1486989047.jpg

....and for you swing'in bachelors out there,  who can't thread a needle,   one of the many thumb tack holes,  easily becomes a holder for the needle,  to make the task much easier.   I'm not a bachelor.........I play one in my dreams  :)

post-612-0-85107600-1486989195.jpg

I'm not the best seamster either.........> note to self:   put seamster in the dictionary....because,  like.......I'm a guy  ;)

post-612-0-82692800-1486989415.jpg

first one done!

post-612-0-11619600-1486989448.jpg

the second one went quicker,  without all that  >#@%**#!    smooth as silk {just some minor pricking}  ;)

post-612-0-89151700-1486989560.jpg

both of the net rigs are suspended off of the crane light..........I'm in the process of setting up some sort of spray booth in Kevin's old room.

post-612-0-77200400-1486989643.jpg

.......what else can I do that's good 'n hostile................oh yea......I can paint those brackets for the extra lights,  I was spouting about earlier.   

post-612-0-28449800-1486989756.jpg

in my dreams last night,  I think I solved how I'm going to hang the nets.   I put brass rings on the cone end of 'em,  and was thinking about the rope that will be seized on there.  I recalled those half round clips I used on the Andrea Gail....the ones I used as shackles.   I have to look and see if I have four of them.   if not........then I guess I'll have to snow blow the eight or so inches {I'm guessing at the moment},  that fell between yesterday and last night.   February is here.......28 days of hell for this neck 'o the woods.   hope to have another update soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Go on, get out in the snow Denis!  You need a path to the road which goes to your supplier for those extra half round clips ;):)

That is some nice progress on the nets and trawl booms - this is going to look really good fitted up.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat........I did  ;)     we're not going to lose this snow any time soon now.   beads and trawl rigs are getting painted at the moment,  so I'll have to play with something else........    I did check......I only have three.   I will have to go,  but I think tomorrow will be a better day.   I did thread up the two lines I have set up for the trawl nets.......they are going to do just fine  ;)   thanks for the good work.....lov'in the fact that I took today off.....it would have been a sh__show at work!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking rather convincing Denis.

Snow?  That's a dirty 4 letter word ;)  It's been cold here too in Palm Cost, Florida - - - all the way down to 65F at midday. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Denis

The temporary jig that you fashioned out of the cardboard roll and eyelet was a stroke of genius.  It certainly seems to have made your life easier, because the nets really looked a treat.

Nicely done!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

very nice work Denis,

all looking realistic for the big  Northsea catch..... ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Fine looking nets. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks for all the fine comments........and to all who hit the like button  :)    jigs and such are our way of dealing with the little nuances in our hobby........whether to better control the part that we're working on,  or to create parts that would be impossible to fashion by hand.    through my years here,  I've seen many unique and ingenious aides.....we still haven't lost our instincts........the art of making our own tools.   some can be used over and over.....while some are made out of necessity......I seem to fit the latter.   I do tend to save them,  hoping that another use can be found for them.   I did some painting yesterday.......very exciting ;)   good thing there were other parts to add or make......or I would have gone mad.

I have some form of an update........there would be more pictures,  but the camera wasn't cooperating,  being low on charge may have been the culprit.   in this photo,  one needs to look in the center........this part was very hard to get a good shot of.   I mentioned the idea I had using the half round jewelry pieces,  that I used on the Andrea Gail build.   they will make perfect shackles.   bad part is.......I only have three of them....I will have to get more.   the thread is run through a channel on one side,   threaded around the outside of the half loop,  and run through a channel on the other side.  when the net rigs are connected to them,  they will be closed together and seized.  the same will be done on the cone end of the net,  although the line attributed to it isn't there yet....but it will be soon.   this gives reason for the double block.   the line has been cut,  and the shackle half installed,  waiting for when the rig is added to it.

post-612-0-36910200-1487092684.jpg

that's it.....dangling in the air.   here are a couple of poor shots in the make shift paint booth.   I made up another jig to hold the bead string,  while it was painted........it didn't go so well.   no matter how one tries........you can never paint the dark side of the bead  ;)

post-612-0-67898100-1487092882.jpg

post-612-0-28010800-1487092895.jpg

while this was drying........the extra light issue was resolved.   the three lights,  I had made brackets for,  are now in place. 

post-612-0-27802800-1487093001.jpg

post-612-0-74911100-1487093024.jpg

one will light the net winch area........there is to be a larger spotlight that will light up the rest of the main deck area.   the other two were put in the aft section,  to light up that deck area.  almost time to begin fleshing that area out

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That looks great Denis, those nets and gear are really starting to take shape.

cheers

Pat

thanks Pat and Lawrence........and to those who hit the like button.    things started out so well this week.......too bad it came to a screeching halt by Wednesday,   with me getting a stomach bug.   if anything came from it.......I hope I lost some weight  ;)   I did make it to Hobby Lobby in search of some more of those shackle looking thingies....too bad I forgot my glasses and couldn't read the packages.   it's a good thing the admiral was with me,  yet again...........she found some.   the ones I had are in antique or bronze.......the ones she found are like a chrome......or even a pearl color.   no matter.....I can paint one up to match.......small consolation for not having any at all  ;)   there might be a picture or two......I need to check the camera to see.....this being the first I've been at my computer,  since I got hit with the bug.

no Lawrence........we got hit with three bands of snow.......two little bands with the big one in the middle.   we were so lucky for the month of January,  until now.........February......28 days of hell.  add the way I've been feeling into the mix,  and it's living up to it's name in spades! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did have two pictures in the camera.   in this application,  it's too bad there isn't a call for chrome silver.......they would have fit the bill nicely.   I'm sure I can use these......hide them in paint or something.   I think blackening would be hard,  as I'm sure that they are coated with something.

post-612-0-12951100-1487363368.jpg

post-612-0-87910100-1487363378.jpg

if I go back......I'll make sure I have my readers.   then I can do a more complete search  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis, my wife took me to Hobby Lobby the other day. I went down a few of the jewelry making aisles and immediately thought of you and this build. There really are a lot of things made for something else that can be used for what we do if you put your imagination to it!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

hi all.......just a short note to let you know,  I'm still bobb'in in the wake.   what I thought was a stomach bug,  turned out to be that my lower G.I. got washed out by the antibiotics I took.  it hasn't been pleasant,  but I'm on my fourth day of pro biotics,  and slowly getting my house back in order.   thanks for the well wish Patrick,  and thanks to all who hit the like button.

thanks Jesse.......I hope something will benefit you.   I usually go in with an open mind.......something comes to it sooner or later.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Will be good to see you back in the shipyard Denis; hopefully you are well and truely on the mend this time.

cheers

Pat

I am good sir.........thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nasty stuff Denis. My Admiral had that and came down with a bad C.Diff infection that landed her in hospital for a week.  Keep on the probiotics for at least 2 months to be safe.

Edited by Jack12477

I think blackening would be hard,  as I'm sure that they are coated with something.

Denis you can change the color by heating them up they will turn just like the tempering chart straw to amber to dark purple to blue.

Michael

Edited by michael mott
spelling

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks for the good word gents.......it's been a couple of weeks since I've felt like doing anything.    "things" are starting to look up {not literally}.......today,  I've actually done some bead painting.  I'm hoping to get back to a steady head of steam {toot,  toot}.   

thanks Michael.......I never thought of that!   have to give that a try ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye...I love your HobbyLobby finds....  I get things for my builds there all the time...great material to modify for model building fer sure.

Your build is looking very clean and spot on....coming to the end almost......:P

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

thanks gents.....and those who hit the like button.   it was good to spend some quality time at the computer again..........even more to do a bit of tinkering :)    no real progress as of yet,  but I'm working on it.   after reading the suggestion Michael gave me,  I set up some of those shackles in my vise.........then I went out to get my propane torch.   sadly,  the bottle must have been low enough,  and the cold of winter robbed the rest of it..........the bottle was empty.   I'm shoot'in for a trip to Wal-Mart or some place to get a new bottle.........could've sworn I had one on hand.

I'll see what I can come up with today ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

OK..........I finally went out and bought a bottle of propane!   I have two nozzles........both of them look like they were made in the 50's.   one of them would not work at all....the other one isn't faring out to well either,  but it did work.   I think I should toss these and buy a new nozzle ;)    I had threaded a few of the 'shackles' on a pin,  and clamped it in the vise.

before.jpg.4da2ad4add4e3aae091926cf1bbad84f.jpg

then I put the heat to them........not a good idea to leave the heat on for too long.........or this happens.........

after.jpg.c543bcaa729bf76109c379fb72e9ffdf.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: