Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

Ouch... I daresay that was a tad too long, Denis.   I hope you have some spares.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Believe in learning the hard way do you mate? - ouch  they looked pretty good too which makes it worse :(

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

hello all you fine folk :)     been a short pause here....but hope to get moving on her again.   today I got to finish painting all the beads.

thanks Mark........oh yea.....I bought a couple of packages of them.   I want to go back to Hobby Lobby........with my reading glasses,  and hope I can find the antiqued ones.   if I thought this model would look good with the chrome ones,  I'd use them.....but I think the antique ones look better.  they have them also in copper and steel {the last time I bought them}.

thanks Pat........you gotta break a few eggs when experimenting.   I guarantee.......these were annealed! ;)  

thanks Tom........I have my good day and bad days.  I know now that if they glow red,  then I've gone too far ;)

anyway.........back to the beads.   before I got side tracked {which is very easy for me to do},  I had painted only part of the Yellow ones.   when I painted them with the primer,  for whatever reason {can was too cold......not shaken enough....}  they came out looking rough and oddly painted.   I left them that way........I felt it would add to the overall look of them when painted with the color coat.

I also allowed the ghosting,  which gives them a weathered look.   I did yellow ones........

58c9b66e49be9_1.jpg.69c9c5b0380b897cf34d4c0577318d7a.jpg

then some red ones.......

58c9b689a5304_2.jpg.d97a3b077f7d7c14090936f7a5fe8c22.jpg

...and just for giggles.......I did some white ones.......

58c9b6afd7485_3.jpg.3fd20ceb910bff3f47dfca23d5c8f318.jpg

they are all done in flats.   when I did the Cux 87,  I did them in yellow and white.   is there a rule out there concerning using three colors?   I know that the colors are used for identifying whose nets or traps belong to fishermen or companies.   I have some vents to make,  so I will let them dry.

58c9c01581c24_4.jpg.2db5f8a4781494bfa98feb679e9a5e85.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I am with John on that one denis; the only thing I think to really consider (which it appears you have) is that the colour combinations need to be high contrast so as to make them more easily visible on the sea surface.

cheers

pat

thanks John and Pat........I kinda thought the same thing......wasn't sure about the international thing.  it's funny too...I was watching the Perfect Storm last night,  and quite a few of their larger buoys were orange.   cripes........I have plenty of orange.   I could have painted them that color and been done with it. :)    next one...........next one ;) 

thanks for the good word and thanks to those who hit the like button :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

got a chance to do a little bit to this build as well yesterday.   before I get the nets up,  I wanted to finish with the portholes in the cabin behind the helm room.  now that they are fitted,  I can fill them in with window maker and get'em installed.

58cee2c80fcc1_1.jpg.eb020d54f8ac9082dbe08f32d25d9102.jpg

58cee2d6f0c23_2.jpg.89f3d83f5f6a3b7313f8b26ac959ad54.jpg

I had one made for the helm room,  but now I can't find it.   that would be the roof........I made another one.

58cee34aaa0b2_3.jpg.cb42e5f0df370ecaf2d4b1bd03deccf8.jpg

I'll get some more done soon. :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

drat!  I just noticed that the starboard stern light is pointed upward.   gotta fix that!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Kees.........and all who hit the like button.   I wish I had done more,  but the sizing of the portholes might not have been a good thing,  if I had assembled the nets before hand.   there is not much else that requires me not to add them now.  the portholes need the window maker.......and then the aft deck can be done.   drat!  I still need to get new ink cartridges!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

It's great to see you back into Syborn, again.  And...as Kees has said, the overall shots show just what a marvellous job you're doing.  A true little gem, I'd say.

You must be getting really close to finishing her off.  Have you got a display case all sorted for her?

Cheers

Patrick

thanks Patrick......still a bit to go yet.   for as long as this project has taken,  it's going to be a very happy ending   :)   not that I'm tired of it,  but because I'm not use to having a project last this long.....I know I have others.   fear not though......there are a couple more fishing boats in the que........namely {namelessly},  the boat that spawned from the Holiday harbor project.   I'm still at odds with it.......I'm thinking of continuing her here in this log,  rather than start a separate one for her.   I value any thoughts that you fine folks may have.

...as for a case.......nawwww,  wish I could,  but my budget doesn't allow for it.  we do keep our eyes on the flea markets and stuff.......recently we heard that Hallmark is closing in the mall.  they are selling off everything,  even their cases.   it would be cool to pick up a case like that.   we keep looking ;)

thanks for the good word my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

thanks Patrick......still a bit to go yet.   for as long as this project has taken,  it's going to be a very happy ending   :)   not that I'm tired of it,  but because I'm not use to having a project last this long.....I know I have others.   fear not though......there are a couple more fishing boats in the que........namely {namelessly},  the boat that spawned from the Holiday harbor project.   I'm still at odds with it.......I'm thinking of continuing her here in this log,  rather than start a separate one for her.   I value any thoughts that you fine folks may have.

...as for a case.......nawwww,  wish I could,  but my budget doesn't allow for it.  we do keep our eyes on the flea markets and stuff.......recently we heard that Hallmark is closing in the mall.  they are selling off everything,  even their cases.   it would be cool to pick up a case like that.   we keep looking ;)

thanks for the good word my friend!

Hi Denis

I totally understand about the case, or lack thereof.  Hopefully, one day you'll score one at the right time or place.  

As for your next boat, well, I reckon that you should start another log; that way, even more people can enjoy it.

Have a great week.

Cheers

Patrick

Denis, I vote that you start a new log.  Adding it to the end of this log will only hurt this log.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

My vote is for a separate log also Denis

cheers

Pat

sounds unanimous to me ;)    belay that order........give 'er a dry dock of 'er own!  it'll still be a while......this was something I was toss'in 'round in my head.   by that time,  I should have a name for 'er.   thanks all for the help.......couldn't see leav'in 'er in with the other two......that wouldn't be right either.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I spent a little time with this build today.......I think everyone is waiting to see this.   I installed the starboard side net.  it involved fastening the net to one of the trawl rigs,  as the first step,  using metal rings to do so.   a length of hemp rope was seized to one side of the rig,  and about 26 colored beads were strung on.   I ended up choosing the yellow and white ones.

58d466c548911_1.jpg.e17bc505aede74c7459a2fcf71c1dab9.jpg

at the other end of the net,  a ring was fastened there too.   a shackle was threaded on some rigging rope,  and fastened to the net via the ring.

58d467320473d_2.jpg.ac42f500cec22db6abae120f1cc529a9.jpg

it's a bit blurry,  but you can see that the sides were crimped together before it was seized.  all of the beads {buoys} were spaced and cemented in place on the rope.when lifted,  the buoys hang natural.

58d467c7adeb2_3.jpg.28b3feae1c73aa69c8c97042d02106fe.jpg

{I laid it out to show} ;)    the assembly was then fastened using the shackle that I had previously threaded on the net rigging.   the rigging rope that is on the other end of the net,  was threaded through the block {double block}  and tied off to the shroud spreader and given a rope coil.

58d468a1029bc_4.jpg.6c99ed14a5d052d3ca40c88e9b1f27d9.jpg

58d468ae59355_5.jpg.696a95276ac4cf2b0f4966d0a3be28a4.jpg

I made up a bunch of these curly looking things........these need to be trimmed and shaped,  and used to fasten the bottom lip of the net to the buoy string.  the upper lip of the net is fastened to the center chain supports of the rig itself.

58d4693aa1244_6.jpg.4e4332f37ca0d947caa9cd0f9450d420.jpg

58d4694a6b835_7.jpg.0186271a9a05127bfe59f368a1d57984.jpg

the port side net is on the desk.......it will get the same treatment and installed on the ship.   thanks for looking in :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice progress Denis.  She's looking really very great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Ya got my vote for "cool" - nice work Denis; that looks really good.

cheers

Pat

thanks very much everyone for the comments and likes........even I wanted to see how it would look ;)    I put it half together on the table and finished it on the ship.......it worked out just as well.  I'm hoping to get something done today,  but it don't look promising.  if you read my Thermopylae log...you know why :(   I will try to get the other net up.  it will get the other net rig from hanging off of my crane light.   the clothes pin that I'm using for a counter weight hits the shade {which is metal},  and makes the sound of a ship's bell,  whenever someone walks by the table.  it can get annoying when it rings past three bells ;)  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

there ya go Tom and John.........nearest I know of is Boston.........you can be there when they come to haul me away! :D:D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Popeye....fine build.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hi Denis

Brilliant work on the net.  Now all the effort that you've put into the  trawl rig, buoys, winches, etc, is all starting to make sense.  I can just picture Suborn chugging the seas trawling those waters.

Speaking of trawling, if you could just send her over here...there're a few recalcitrant goldfish in our pond!

Cheers

Patrick

I hear the Jaws music now Patrick........ :D  :D    liable to scare the gold right off the little fellas!   thanks for the good word.........and to you as well Rob!   I didn't get to the port side net........and work is as I remember it...........what a drag! ;)    before I forget yet again..........I did fix that stern light.   I'm also beginning to make the vents for the decks.   more once the work week is over.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

today I devoted a bit of time on the trawler.   the port side net is on finally........you may have seen a trace of the net on my desk,  in viewing the progress on the Thermopylae.   as mentioned,  I did start cutting the parts for the vents.  I was going to use the horn type vents,  but they didn't look right on her.   these are the bits I have to piece together.

58e82c926a671_1.jpg.3f613a89b3b42c600f719de00b1538fb.jpg

the net and the buoy beads were on my desk,  cluttering things up.   taking the trawl rig down from my crane lamp,  I began to put it together.

58e82d062137c_2.jpg.c378bcd12a35365f112a6ac4fd159c66.jpg

gluing the beads on the line is time consuming........do a few......wait for them to dry........do a few.   either that,  or they move around on me,  and I have to keep fixing them.   it was assembled onto the boom and rigged.  the process is finished.

58e82d8f3c3c2_3.jpg.4d6629c31e1a984f3e2740156c244b4b.jpg

58e82d9c29475_4.jpg.f80e097e569f458e935d8466e78612a1.jpg

next will be the vents,  and then onto the stern :)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: