Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

Moving right along with the Syborn! She is looking great.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Looking better all the time.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Mark and Edwin...........no.......I'm far from an expert.   sometimes I wish I knew everyting there was to know.......but I still find myself digging up more info on them.   thanks for the kind word  ;)

thanks Bob  Anja and Patrick........I'm going to try to keep up on this build.....can't believe I left her idle for this long.  thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 months later...

thank you Lawrence.......  this was part of my first experiment in the replication of hulls from parts panels.   I did the same with the Holiday trio,  but I have a sad feeling that three hull,  is the best those templates will do.   the only thing I wished I would have done.....was straighten.....or even invert the curvature of the bow line.   now it's the fore deck and aft deck.....that's my next frontier.   thanks for the comment and looking in........hope you follow along ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Just ran across this log tonight. Enjoyed looking through your build pics. Nice job!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I did the same with the Holiday trio,  but I have a sad feeling that three hull,  is the best those templates will do.  

Next time before you cut out the wood parts put the sheet on a copy machine then you will have a paper master and can make as many copies as you want.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

thanks Jesselee....still a lot more to do.......see you in 2014!

I did that with the Gothenborg Bob.   I can do what I intend to do with the Danmark diagrams........I'm going to bring the parts panel diagrams to a copy place,  and have them blown up.   I still have those  :)   I still have a few ideas kicking around in this old{er} brain box of mine.   I think it best to keep them there for the time being though ;)  thanks for the thought

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 months later...

something I have been meaning to do on this build, is the gallows. I have a pair of metal ones from the Nordkap build. they are nice......I used the pair that I had gotten from the replacement parts for the build, but these were slightly different. I would have to alter the feet, because they don't move very well.

post-612-0-62922600-1397840732_thumb.jpg

they also look like they were attached incorrectly. I'm going to make some out of wood, similar to the metal ones. I started by notching some 3/16 square stock, the same length as the uprights.

post-612-0-65632300-1397840916_thumb.jpg

after some cleaning up, the notches look better

post-612-0-45746300-1397840975_thumb.jpg

I didn't have strip stock that was the correct thickness, so I added 1/32 to a length of 10 mm planking......it equates to 1/8th of an inch thick

post-612-0-03800700-1397841298_thumb.jpg

it was then cut to the length of the caps, and a short piece was cemented on the tops......later sanded and shaped

post-612-0-60083500-1397841448_thumb.jpg

the first one was assembled using 10 mm brads

post-612-0-65827900-1397841495_thumb.jpg

to assemble it, a thin shim was laid between the upright and the cap, creating an air gap, so the uprights could fan out. I remembered to do this for the first two.....the third on, however, I forgot.

post-612-0-83708000-1397841729_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-38784500-1397841741_thumb.jpg

you can see how this affected the third one......I have since repaired it. all I need to do now, is create the feet for them. I might also make a fourth gallow rig, so the nets can be deployed on either side of the ship.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Augie and Mark for the likes :)

thanks John......I have a good model there.....it just lays there, and I copy it :D :D get the feet fabbed and assembled.....paint and hardware, and I think they'll look rather cool! :) this one's ready for deck work and stanchions. a little here, and a little there.......as long as it goes in the direction I want it to go :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks good Denis, a neat tip with the shim to give the right amount to the fan.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks Sjors.......with the nice weather coming.....I figured I'd start doing a few thing I've been putting off. thanks for the good word!

thanks Michael......seeing the work you do.....it gets me thinking ;) I knew I wouldn't need much....the shim 'jig' is probably 1/32 thick. if I can make the shoes so they adjust to the angle, I'll be a happy camper. looking at the metal one....you can see that they can't move. that's what prompted me to try making them.

I'll try fixing the metal ones.....one of these days, on another build perhaps :) thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

when I finished doing the deck planking on the United States build........a thought occurred to me.  I haven't finished the fore and aft planking on the Syborn!   ohhhhh.......don't tell me I just cut up the rest of the planking for her!  I took her out of the closet and had a look, and then a sigh of relief.........I had used the darker Annegre on her!   the Annegre comes in two different hues.......a lighter and a darker color.......I have {had} a package of both.   after I was done rejoicing that I didn't  'starve' the build,  I figured.......what the heck......I'll plank the fore deck......and perhaps the aft deck too!   might as well........she's on the table  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you for the  'likes'  gentlemen......I apologize for not getting the progress up sooner.   I had this done yesterday,  but my first mate had to go to the vet for his check up.  he did very well :)

anyway.........to set the stage for the fore deck planking,  a 1/16 border was lined along the edges for the stanchions.   a  'tip' was also added the the bow stem......repeated sanding rounded the edges a little,  and this was done to change the look.

post-612-0-35165100-1401379555_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-07693700-1401379565_thumb.jpg

I think I should have extended this along the cabin bulkhead,  but with the companionway and stairs,  I figured that I had better not.  a border plank was laid spanning across,  and the deck planking will meet it.

post-612-0-65273000-1401379901_thumb.jpg

as this was done......I got the feeling that I may be wrong in my assumption of the plank color.  I need to remember that the main deck was done some time ago.......it has had plenty of time to cure.

post-612-0-58678700-1401380072_thumb.jpg

I did a bit of sanding once the starboard side was done........just me being impatient with how it will look.

post-612-0-06044500-1401380146_thumb.jpg

all sanded and ready for clear coat.   I used a semi gloss lacquer for the main deck,  and so I will here as well.  caution.........the colors will be way off,  but I think as it cures,  it will dull down.

post-612-0-63566200-1401380425_thumb.jpg

the roof of the companionway has been painted.   here it is with two coats applied.

post-612-0-43475300-1401380492_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye, I just discovered this build log. Amazing work , as I went thru your build log I could not help but notice a Bass and Guitar carpet with a Strat and a flying V . Do you play ? anyway how's the Holiday Harbor comming along ?

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Looking good, Popeye.

Bob

thanks for your kind comments and the likes......I wanted to do something else........it's scary to think that these builds are connected together in some way  :)

thanks Pete:     welcome to the build :)  I hope you find it interesting.  as you read,  this is another in the experiment of using the parts panels to create multiple hulls.  I know it's sort of the cheater's way out,  but for those who aren't into CAD  {like me},  it can be an alternative,  or even a fun project to play with.  the Holiday Harbor fleet are put away at the moment,  two of the hulls are planked.  one has the deck platforms......the second one,  I want to change it around a little.  the third one.......well,  it's become a decision maker......in a necromantic thought.......I may have other uses for it.  I've been looking at other kit plans.........this could be very dangerous!   yes,  I play bass.........I have Fender squire P-body,  an Epiphone Les Paul {a Gibson knock-off},  and an obscure bass that doesn't have a name on it......I don't even know who makes it.  the admiral bought it for me when I was taking lessons.  I have fun with it  :)

thank you Bob and John:   I really need to touch up some of the paint work.......:)    wouldn't it be nice if I could have a table for each one,  so I wouldn't have to clear the table every time.    my luck.........the admiral won't let me use the living room........it would be perfect!   :D  :D   I should have another update soon.......perhaps I can make use of some of the old Nordkap fittings I have  ;)

thanks Dave:   welcome to the build as well ;)   so glad to see you picking up the x-actor again.......you have an amazing talent.  your pirate ship is top notch,  and your dual La Coronnes build is really sweet as well!  your knack for scale is quite good  ;)   form what I can see.......I'm not sure if I'd be the one to show you anything........but if I do,  I'd be pleased to do so :)   enjoy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hum, MSW says I've read this build log when I click the preview this topic.... but I can see I need to go back a do a reread of this one.

Looks like you've slipped another one passed me, either that or my memory is fading.

No matter, rereading build logs is my favorite past time. I've found that I gain so much more now as I go back and reread.

Hi Popeye, I am old school as well , no cad .I use pecils and paper,  and loft from the offset table . experiments are part of the fun. Epiphone makes a great product, I have a Epiphone Dove acoustic, wich is the  replacement for the Martin D-1 that I wore out, I have to say that it is a decent Guitar and it sounds good. I look forward to watching this Build you are doing an Awesome job.

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

it's OK Keith..........the way I bounce around these builds of mine........you probably did!  :D  :D   I'll be here for a short.......I'm trying to make my way back to the Goth ;)   I hope your doing well.   thanks for looking in  ;)

yepper Pete.......I used the Epi quite a bit when I was playing in the band........no big thing ;)   hey......what can I say,  I take Jack Benny's lead........I practice to be lousy :D  :D   I use flat wounds quite a bit.......hate that sound made with the changes.  I do have an old Harmony 'flying V'  .......I just use it to appegiate blues.   it's all good  :)

I forgot to mention a rather funny event........ I used a couple of pins {the ones with the colored heads}  to keep the planks tight against the other planks as I was laying them.   to keep one of them close by,  I'd drop in on the main deck.   well,  with the movement of the hull in the cradle..........it fell into the mast hole!  now......what are the chances of that happening?   now my hull is like a maraca!  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

When you finish her, stick on a label somewhere saying 'Rattle OK' so you don't go crazy 15 years from now trying to figure out what it is :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sweet Popeye,  what do you run it tru ( GK 800RB with an Ampeg SVT 8 10 Cab ) LoL . thats  What my last Bass player's set up was . Have you tried Roto Sounds he swore by them . Wow down the Mast hole unbelivable . Will the Mast still fit ?  I think you may have better odds with the lotto

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

I'll always know what it is.......I have one of those pen magnets...I'll try to fish it out  :D   thanks Augie ;)

I don't have anything that elaborate.......I have a Trace Elliot Boxer 30 w/ bass boost.  speaker's built in.....plenty loud enough for what I need.  I'm not sure what the set up was I used when I would go play with the band.......very nice,  I can tell you that!  mast will still fit....it's all open on the inside ;)   thanks Pete!

thanks Brian and Ed.......hopefully soon, I can start to get some of the hardware in place.  next will be the helm structure and aft decking.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

now on with the aft deck.   I gave it the same stanchion border,  as I did the fore deck.   soaking the strips,  it was hard to get that curvature at the stern........but I got it.   to set up for the helm structure,  I used a compass to draw out the arch.  I did the same to mark off the dash board.

post-612-0-56119800-1401580948_thumb.jpg

I'll need to fix the port side curve........but I have it all down,  as well as the outline for the helm.

post-612-0-33928100-1401581049_thumb.jpg

the front wall will have four windows.  these window frames are part of the Nordkap fittings that I have on hand.   the fittings I got from Billings,  didn't have them in it.....I went ahead and built the Nordkap with what I had.   Harold found his set much later in the build.

post-612-0-90553900-1401581228_thumb.jpg

center line.......the windows were marked out and cut out.

post-612-0-72936700-1401581270_thumb.jpg

when they were finished,  I cut out the two side walls and the dash,  which will be trimmed to fit later on

post-612-0-57602300-1401581329_thumb.jpg

now silly me........I should have marked off the separation lines for the paint,  but I was in too big a hurry.       I can always do it later,  I suppose.   the side windows were cut out........only one per side would fit.

post-612-0-09106800-1401581461_thumb.jpg

I know.......this picture is very misleading........I even had to do a double take :D    I'm not following any plans....just what I have in the old nogg'in.........it is centered though  ;)

post-612-0-00973300-1401581644_thumb.jpg

it kind of hard to see with the glare.......but after some sanding,  I gave it a coat of paint.   I'm going to give everything another go over,  before I give it another coat of paint.......with a better brush than the one I used the first time  ;)

post-612-0-68471400-1401581848_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-71519900-1401581863_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-50779600-1401581881_thumb.jpg

the dash isn't cemented in yet......it's just laying in there.  the sills for the windows are the same thickness as the wood I used to make the walls.   now to figure the arrangement for the back parts of the structure.........one work day down........and the admiral's trying to talk me into taking Monday off.

does she really think she has to do that...........!?  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She’s coming along nicely. I like what your noggin is telling you to do.

Bob