Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

Hi Popeye, well, looks like you have most of your tool problem or the lack there-off, solved  ;)  Yea, a lathe is great but for model building there are other and cheaper options that work just as well - - - although slower.  Do you have an old fashioned coping saw?  The one you can put those thin multi teeth  teeth per inch in?  

Okay, I bought a Proxxon jigsaw because I saved-up the money but I could have done the same jobs with my very old coping saw my mom bought for me when I was a young lad.  It just takes more time but it can do the job.

A lathe?  Do you have a ½ inch or ¾ inch electric drill?  You can make a neat little lather for wood turning with them.  Mount it to a ¾ inch piece of plywood, add a tool rest and you van even add a tailstock.  

Turning chisels?  Some of the Exacto blades can work or a kitchen paring or potato knife can be converted into turning chisels.

Did I need a lathe to turn those brass pulleys?  No, I could have used that old jigsaw with metal cutting blades.  Cut the groves and finish with a file, then cut them off the rod and finish with a fine file.

Do you have a drill press?  Great, you can make masts and yards, tapered and all.  No?  Again, the ½ inch or ⅜ inch electric drills cane be used just as effective.  Sandpaper and lots of time.

A planer for thinning planks?  I don't have on, would like one though.  I use a small wood plane and files and sandpaper and time.  You have time don't you ????   ;)  :)

Could I use a mini bench saw?  Yes indeed.  So far I have been able to use handsaws.  Oh, I forgot, I have a Sears bandsaw and a sanding machine, indispensable?  Hmmm, they have saved me a lot of time but again, it's all about time and convenience.

I have a 10 inch jobbers saw but not used for model building.  My wife wanted to make furniture therefore we bought the 10 inch circular saw and the band saw.  With the right and self made attachments you can cut planks to less then 1 mm thick.

Not to belabor the idea about all those fancy tools and equipment, we can do with a lot less.  One thing I would invest in is a Dremmel type tool.  That'll be a real asset and a set of mini drill bits.  You can make mini router bits from broken drill bits etc, etc.

You have a very keen mind Popeye with great ideas and innovation seems to be in your blood, let it fly and the sky is the limit - ooh -  pun intended  :D

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

darn.......I see this post too late......gotta shuffle off to work......talk to you tonight  ;)        thanks Piet!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It's hard to argue with Piet's point of view, so I won't.  In fact, I have virtually no power tools that I use for the ships with the exception of a Dremel tool and a drill.  Almost everything can be done 'by hand' with a few simple tools and lots of patience and there are plenty of excellent 200 year-old models around to prove it!  That said, I think proper tools like lathes and milling machines can certainly add to the precision, accuracy and reproducibility we strive for in our modeling.....provided one spends the time in learning how to use those tools. 

Just one word of advice.  If you do decide to invest in some 'cool tools', buy the best you can afford.  It will pay off in the long run.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Popeye, I just finished going through your build log and I found your build very enlightening.  I have always had a fondness for working vessels.  The way you are building your Syborn has taught me many new things. 

David B

Popeye,

thats a very nice Trawler on your slipway, you are doing a great Job with your scratch build, and you`ll have no Limits to your phantasy, Keep those ideas coming. I think it was a good idea to lean this on to the typ ships you mention in the beginning, so you need`nt "invent the wheel twice" and saved much design time, and it is good looking

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Nils............you mean the Nordkap.  I started with work boats........I'd love to get another Nordkap and build another old Billing's kit out of it.....the Progress.   I wouldn't mind getting another Cux as well  ;)  I look forward to the day when you bring yours to the table  I thank you for your kind comments....I do enjoy how much that can be added to these types of builds:)

I hope I didn't teach you any bad habits David  :D    the only thing I wish I had done,  was make the bow straight,  not rounded.  I think it would look much better.  this is a method I wanted to try,  since I'm not too good with CAD,  or drawing blueprints.   a second hull can also serve well as a test build,  for when new ideas are tried.   heck......it even allows a person to get the most out of a kit!  ;)   thanks for the good word....pleased to have you looking in  :)

oh Sjors........your buying tools for ALL the right reasons!  :)   what I could do with those parts panels  ;)

I wouldn't dispute what Piet is saying either Augie............I have done just as well without those tools.   perhaps somewhere down the road,  I might get into buying them.  I'll stay away from the cheaper ones  ;)

I appreciate all the ideas Piet........I have used the drill method.   I know full well the burns you can get from heated sandpaper.   I have a coping saw......don't know where I got it,  but I have one.   I also have my trusty scroll saw.......used it for a few ideas that sprang into my head.  I bought thin blades for it........I forgot where I put them,  but when I rearranged the garage,  I found them.   I have a dremel too.

I don't use it too much though,  but I got a  small booklet with it that shows all the neat attachments you can get for it.   I'll look into it a bit more.  ;)   I do like your idea for pulleys.........I will need some for this build.   I'll see what I can come up with.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I did make more progress on it on Friday.  after the paint was dry,  I put the frames in it.

post-612-0-92876400-1402799757_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-54902700-1402799768_thumb.jpg

I began to make the aft cabin

post-612-0-84458200-1402799813_thumb.jpg

once it was squared off,  I did a bit of sanding,  and then put the roof on.

post-612-0-79895600-1402799914_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-18182100-1402799924_thumb.jpg

it was time to trim and attach the funnel

post-612-0-43692400-1402799955_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-25883500-1402799971_thumb.jpg

then the rim was made from some very flexible wood stock and cemented in place.  it was sanded and shaped......filler was used to fill in the small gaps

post-612-0-79417700-1402800116_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60098000-1402800131_thumb.jpg

I did a bit of sanding,  and then gave it a coat of primer,  to seal the balsa.  this will be sanded a bit more later

post-612-0-68001000-1402800220_thumb.jpg

I gave it a coat of paint.   perhaps I can do something to hide the small imperfections

post-612-0-36701600-1402800300_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-98845700-1402800313_thumb.jpg

as you can see,  this Billing's paint is very shiny.   I have never used any paints,  that had this much shine.   it dries to a hard finish.....good for the balsa........god know how many marks I had to sand away while doing this ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

you'll also notice that it's on the other table.........I'm trying to get back to her {the Goth}.......I swear!  :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

Whichever one you switch over to... we'll be there.  Lots of chairs at lots of tables. :D  :D :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Really nice fit on that stack. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

thanks Mark........I never know where a crazy idea will take me next ;)

thanks Augie.......I was almost ready to make up some tear drop ribs and make a second one.   every time I'd turn around,  there would be a nick or something,  that I couldn't explain.

thanks for the likes!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's the trouble with Balsa Popeye, you need to be so careful with it.

Great job mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I've worked with balsa a lot for the model aircraft (naturally).  Yes, it's subject to 'hangar rash' with dents and dings coming from apparently nowhere.  Filler and sanding usually handles the nicks.  For dents we either steam it or inject a little water into the dented area and wrap in Saran for a while.  Sometimes this 'hydration' will return the wood to it's original form.  It's just too malleable for our ship work ---- except for filler blocks!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Fantastic job, Popeye.  The stack is great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Aye Popeye,

As long as you jot down the right content in the right log, and use the materials on the propper build, I don't much mind you switching, I'm daft alreay catching up a years worth of build logs  :o  :huh:  :blink: 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks Mobbsie and Bob  :)  once I get to the deck planking......it will all come together.   I still need to do some touch ups......especially those darn cap rails!

that's like using balsa sheeting for the hull of the lobster boat...........what were they thinking!   it looked much better after I had planked it over.   thanks Augie!  ;)

good to have you looking in Carl.......don't feel bad........after my three day stint at work,  I usually end up playing catch up too.   I just glad your back  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

WOW !!  That stack is really looking spiffy Popeye and so is that back cabin.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Looking good mate. I would have to agree things would be easier if you were to use something else besides balsa. I like bass and aspen.

David B

Looking good Denis!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks Piet,  David,  Michael,  and John.   when I saw that the funnel was prone to nicks and dings,  I should have covered it over with some 1/32 basswood.   but I didn't.....it came out alright though.   I have a couple more thing to do,  and then it can be permanently placed.

thanks for the likes as well  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

OK.......  I was off on one of my tangents the other day........next thing I know,  I'm on a tangent,  in the middle of a tangent :huh:    I mean...........REALLY........is that possible?!?!

recent musings have caused me to switch gears for a bit.......   if you've read my log on the Half Moon,  you have seen what I refer to.........the ship's boats.   I made the boat for the Half moon build,  and while I was at it,  I may as well work on this one too.   I did get a boon out of the deal......I have a second boat!  

I hope I can make this work....this will look especially cool.   so,  I'll make them,  and if I can use them both,  it will be all the better.   if not,  I'm sure there will be other projects down the road.   now,  these pictures I'm sure most of you have seen........I just want to get them in the respective log.  it starts out with both of the plastic boats.......slight differences,  but for the most-part,  pretty similar.

post-612-0-87916300-1403806747_thumb.jpg

then the outside of the hull was planked.

post-612-0-95644600-1403806783_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-92425000-1403806792_thumb.jpg

both of the hulls are planked now.  I was going to remove the keel and skegs,  but since they are going towards a more modern ship {build},  I will leaver them as they are.   Bottom paint will bring them into the picture.

post-612-0-08831500-1403806952_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-96383700-1403806962_thumb.jpg

I had two 4 mm thick block panels with the rib parts laser cut into them.   I had punched out one of them and found them to be too thick.   I decided to cut them in half at this point........this met with a bit of a problem,  because some of them broke.   so, once I unravel the mystery,  I can continue with these two.

post-612-0-55462100-1403807132_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so......these guys are all planked now,  but I'm still working on the Half Moon boat.   in the meantime,  I have these guys in the works as well.......sorting out the rib problem.   the plastic boat was too big for the Half Moon......I see that now.   I made a good move in my decision to scratch build one for it.

post-612-0-51097800-1403807398_thumb.jpg

there is quite a bit of interior detail that I need to put into these two boats........there is also an insert I need to clean up and shape.  it's not laser cut.......one of the remnants from the Nordkap build.   I had laid the inner keel in one of the boats so far..........but this will give you a fair idea of the inner detail I want to do.

post-612-0-66181500-1403807615_thumb.jpg

I stained all three hulls.........here is the full monty of them ;)    this is where they will part ways with each other.......the Half Moon hull got the mahogany tint.

post-612-0-77945000-1403807697_thumb.jpg

so now it will be to give the other boat an inner keel,  so I can add the ribs.   I only have one of the inserts that I spoke of,  so I'll have to make a second one.  I'm also in the process of sorting out the rib parts and gluing them back together,  in the event I need longer ones

post-612-0-22140200-1403807872_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97783800-1403807881_thumb.jpg

there are other parts I'll need to make for them as well.........should be a hoot!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice way to make use of different parts.  Your planking and interior detail is nice.  What kind of wood did you use?

David B

thanks for the likes.........I know you've seen most of the pictures earlier,  but it keeps the gaps out of the build.   it's my hope that I can get the both of them on the build.........who knows.......maybe some davits?!?!?!?

thanks Carl....this is good info for those who find these plastic boats in their builds........."now,  what the heck do I do with these?"  either that,  the keel and skeg can be removed and the shell can be used as plugs.

thanks David.......you must be referring to the scratch built boat.  the only part that was used from the Half Moon kit,  was the gunwale...it was the only real part I had.  the rest of it is mainly basswood and Annegre {an African wood....rough cut}.  the planking for the plastic boats,  is Annegre,  which from what I've been told,  is a light mahogany....comes in two different shades.  the rest of these two will be scratch built.......the ribs will be the only parts I'll use for them.   as for the different parts........it's not what you get in a kit........it's what you do with the supplied parts ;)   I've got parts from other builds that I hang onto......didn't fit my concept of the subject I was working with.   one day,  out of the blue......I may need a certain part.  I'll look in that bag {it's getting to the point that I need a box},  and I'll see something that I can modify.  I jokingly call it my bag of tricks  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice Work Popeye, the 3 Hulls look Fantastic

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

They look great! Never thought about planking a plastic boat- good idea!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

thanks Pete......this was done in my first build, a newbie idea :)

http://wenzelswharf.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/the-nordkap-476-part-40/

http://wenzelswharf.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/the-nordkap-476-part-38/

http://wenzelswharf.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/the-nordkap-476-part-39/

http://wenzelswharf.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/the-nordkap-476-part-22/

these do have some aspects of the boat.........others are just for musing. feel free to browse around the Wharf.......I don't mind at all! ;) this build was my kick start into this wonderful medium. for an already started build that was given to me, I truly enjoyed it. .....and I learned to bash.......something I think every newbie should try. if you think about it, it's the basis for all that one will do in a build......fashioning parts and making shapes. I continued looking for the logs where I made the boat......Eureka!

http://wenzelswharf.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/the-nordkap-476-part-19/

just click on the links at the bottom of the page, and you'll see these logs in order. it all boils down to what is supplied in the kit before you, and what you do with the supplied parts. sorry to have gone on such a tangent Pete, but I wanted to show you how I got this idea.......more importantly, that I was a newbie when I though of doing it....I had not read of it being done before.

thanks to you as well JesseLee.........in continuance to what I've been saying, truth be told......it probably has been done before. I can't really say that it was my idea.......I probably just brought it to the forefront again :) I'm glad I did though......it is a good idea. for those who are at a loss with scratch building, this is a great exercise for the imagination.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: