Spanish Galleon 1607 by kirill4 - Lee - PLASTIC - 1:100

Good afternoon,

Dear В.E,

Thank you very much for your attention to my project. I really appreciate the positive feedback from such a great modeller like you.

Often look at your work for inspiration! :)))

All the Best!

Kirill

Kirill,

This is so beyond the beyonds that I am almost speechless. Almost!

I love everything about what you have achieved, here, and am completely astounded by your rigorous attention to detail, and the superb results you have achieved throughout; your weathering, your ornamental/heraldic additions, your masting, sails, rigging.  The natural lay of your rope coils, and the perfect interplay of taught and slack between the standing and running rigging.  It is all truly magnificent and evident of an unwavering commitment to a standard of excellence.

I will be re-visiting this build over and again, and I will be PM'ing you for particular advice on rigging cord, sails and the like.  I sure am glad that you came out of the woodwork, so to speak 😏

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Dear Marc,

Thank your very much for your attention and warm comments :)

I'm very glad that You found interesting  my "spanish galleon" experiments:)))

... of cause, when asked,I will be glad to share  all my knowledge /methоds in rope imitation and sails making...

by the way,

as I consider rigging questions quite important,I will take the opportunity to say a few words...abt material for model rigging...

next my model I' m seriously planing to equipt with self made ropes(by using rope making mashine) complitely, all rigging, but not like on this model,where  self made ropes were used mostly for stays, and for some ,a few only,running rigging ropes... ,

on this model for running rigging ,in common,I used ordinary sewing threads as they were arrived from the shop,but only painted them by acrylic paint...

and on macro foto you could see that most of the ropes have very " loose" structure,which I don't like...

but ok, it will be corrected on the next model...

the best staff for making ropes,by my opinion, it is threads "gutermann", type"tera"...

before I ve found this threads , I' ve spent /waisted a lot of time,money and material in experiments which threads are the best...

#need to be easy to paint, and and must be complitely without fluff!!!#

when found them, I ve bouth all available sizes in one time , ordered them like a kind of "set" ,which lately could be used for own ropes making...

my compilied set ,looks like this( one of the shop from many...)

15231506_m.jpg

details/text and prices in russian...

but I believe,if contact ( website adress in lower left corner of the foto)with supplier ,they could arrange all ness-ry info in english as well...

if not this shop,than  knowing id No of this threads and maker, same could be bouth in other places...

All The Best!

Kirill

Thank you, Kirill.

I am debating whether to make a rope walk for the Soleil Royal project, but I have time before I am anywhere near that decision.  I am also considering buying line from Chuck Passaro, but I suspect it would be significantly less expensive to make my own.

So, is this Guttermann line polyester?

Hi Marc,

by my experience, I could say,

Making own rope, undoubtedly will be much less expensive than buying them somewhere...

Consumption ,when rigging - quite high due to manipulations with ropes...need always to have them in excess for convinience...and if try to use "shop "made ropes,they became gold :))) - at least for me,when I m making rigging,I have too much threads waisted...

one more advantage making own ropes - you will make exactly that size,which you need according to your rigging plan...

for making rope you need not expensive and very simple machine...and suitable threads...than some weights approx 1kg max,for heavy ropes...and small portable el.drill...for making process faster....that all...

I saw on our shipmodel market( russian) ,some of our colleques offer "High End" rope making machine(I' m planing to buy such in the future) ...they are fantastic in work,and looks nice

for example ,like this https://shipworkshop.ru/products/all-products

...but funny things, simple machine ,even made from cartoon without any pinions, works with the same good results as HighEnd rope machine! :)))

I have this ,3d printed unexpensive brand https://modelshipyard.ru/product/trosomot-trehprjadnyj-pr-va-rossija/

I guess, Guttermann line is  polyester, with no fluff at all...at least this brand, "tera" ... they have wide range of threads , but this  "tera" serie, is what we need for model rigging purposes...other type of their product could be with fluff - which is not  suitable,at least for me...

Edited by kirill4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Krill, 

your work is beyond brilliant, your eye for detail is amazing, it is inspirational to me as I am just starting work on 

Soverign of the Seas, to be frank I don’t ever expect to attain your level of craftsmanship, I spent hours studying 

your work. 

I sent you some information that you asked for about Red Jacket, I don’t know if it went thru, let me know and I can send it again.

regards, 

Audiman 2

aka. Jay

Good day,

Jay, Thank you very much , for your attention and comments,

I' m very glad that you found somthing interesting / or useful for your current project in this my galleon build log... :)

*but This Soverign of the Seas, is it clipper, or it is that old famous ship, from 17 century?

* information about Red Jacket, I saw your message, where your mentioned book as a source of additional information about RJ, is that you mean?

If yes, I saw it... thanks , need to find & buy this book  / wnen I be back home in May.

Very nicely done and beautifully made

I will follow this build.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 8 months later...

Good day Dear Community!
I’m continuing experiments with using" potal"( fake gold) instead of gold paint (maybe this idea will be useful for someone to use "potal " for gilding decor on the model.,and ...and not only decor ... 
It could be used for guilding model's stands ... some other parts on the model which surfaces need to be looks like " metal" 
On the first foto you could see difference between gold acrylic paint and "potal leafs"
Presently I’ll try to replace paintings of all decorative elements. which were painted by gold paint in the past (the first photo shows the difference between the gold paint and potal leafs)
...and repaint them with "potal"...

As You could see, I changed a little color of my sails...made them more dark - on the foto you could see difference in color between mizzen and bonaventure sails and main and fore sails as well

Also I repaint anchor's wooden parts partuatly and rearange imitation fasteners which joining two wooden halves- bolts imitation made from acrulic contur paint 
and I prefabricated " plates " for main tacks and made "boarding" anchor, which later on will be fastened to the bowsprit ...
and yes, I decided to replace Stern Shields,and made it in relief but not flat picture (foto print) as before...

as example boarding anchor /approx  size compare to human body you could see on these pictures ..

27988200_m.jpg

27988417_m.jpg

27988255_m.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

DSCN6763.JPG

DSCN6764.JPG

DSCN6766.JPG

DSCN6767.JPG

DSCN6768.JPG

DSCN6769.JPG

DSCN6783.JPG

DSCN6784.JPG

DSCN6787.JPG

DSCN6789.JPG

DSCN6790.JPG

DSCN6792.JPG

DSCN6797.JPG

DSCN6833.jpg

DSCN6843.JPG

DSCN6845.JPG

DSCN6847.JPG

DSCN6848.JPG

DSCN6850.JPG

DSCN6852.JPG

DSCN6853.JPG

DSCN6855.JPG

DSCN6857.JPG

Edited by kirill4

Good day,
Dear friends, there is small updates - I prepaired grapnel for installation... on the foto , it isn't fitted yet, just try to see how it will looks like at place.
Will be continued in march 2020...
Wish all of you All the best in coming 2020!!! :)))

DSCN6859.JPG

DSCN6861.JPG

DSCN6864.JPG

DSCN6865.JPG

Kirill - nice to see you back at work.  The ship looks just spectacular!

The potal is a striking contrast to the gold acrylic.  Does this product retain its luster, over time, or is it necessary to varnish or lacquer over it?

Also, I am intrigued by your new 3-D tafferal medallion.  I see what looks like an impression of the medallion in grey modeling clay.  It is an interesting idea to contain the clay within a jar lid.  So, my questions are these:

Is that, in fact, just plain old modeling clay, or is it a rubberized mould medium?

Did you sculpt the negative impression of the medallion into the clay, so that you could then make a resin casting?

What, exactly, is your process, there?

Edited by Hubac's Historian

Hello Marc,

Thanks , :)))

To preserve potal luster, it need to be varnished or lacquered... there are many special liquids for that effect on the market(decoration hobbies)

... after almost 5 months, I found that it became a little bit redish in color, but remained same luster ...so better to protect it

presently I covered all with glossy acryl lacquer.

For making medalion...

as "donor" ,for this tafferal medallion served ordinary chip /less than dollar  price /plastic medalion ... I found it somewhere years ago by ocasion in some small shop on the street , that time I liked medalion picture quality as all smallest details were nice visiable , I bouth it just for case - and now this case happened :))) 

for making negative mould I 've used two components epoxy , like a solid paste, they call it "cold welding"here in Russia, actually it was not designed for this use, but for making small repair of leaking pipes for example , etc...

I used it because it just was under hand, lets say :)))  and didn't want to spend time for waiting special components delivery from internet shop...

but quality of the casting , as You could see < not very good... small details missed during "casting" process

but for better result I think spesial staff need to be used -  rubberized mould medium +resin casting- something , as Dafi used when  reproducing nessesery copies in his VICTORY project

In my case , for making copy of this medalion,

first, I made negative sculpt in this two components "clay" and than ,using same staff again,

I made positive sculpt - to separate positive and negative substanceses, I used silicon grease.

She's a beauty!! Excellent work, looks like a real galleon. :imNotWorthy:

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Thanks Jonathan, I'm glad You found it interesting ...:)))

Wish You all the best!

Kirill

Beautiful work.
Something to be proud of :imNotWorthy:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Amazing work  - just shows that plastic can be made to look  life like.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

superb job!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear Bill97,

I'm sorry for delay with answer , for some period I didn't have access to the net... this kit is not rare, I saw a few firms did repack of this kit -AOSHIMA- IMAI series Large Sailing Ship No8;No12,

LEE 0886, scale 1/100

even russian Modelist repack it - Моделист 110016 1:100 Spanish Galleon (Испанский Галеон),

in case of difficulties to find it ,than most easiest way to find rare models - wisit Radek site https://www.hismodel.com/articles-category-5 ... sometimes it looks like he has everything I could wish to find( regarding plastic models of sailing vessels) !!! :)))

Edited by kirill4

Thank You very much Ron for attention and warm comments , I 'm glad You like it :)))

• 4 weeks later...

Thank You very much  Tomasz  for your attention to my project and remarks :)

Thanks Marc,

It is not yet completed ... need good final push /kick to me to complete - remaining  flags,anchors ,swivel guns ,braces lower sails and think how to manage stands... some minor things  remains but I feel no power  to fix them :))) 

looks like much easy to press buttons on pc :)))

next project most probably english elizabethian galleon - want to make some conversion of airfix GH ... will try to transform it to the  size and shape of "Revenge" or "Elizabeth Jonas" galleon ... I think this kit is the most accurate kit represents elizabethian galleon , almost exactly reproducing famous Baker 's picture of galleon 

attachment.jpg

2.jpg

17434978_m.jpg