18th century English Longboat by Chuck - FINISHED - c.1760

Chuck, the model shows oarlocks at every thwart.  The kit show them alternating.  It also shows that the deadeyes are rope-stropped and hooked on to the chainplate rather than how it is done in the kit.  What is tied on to the backstays?  Thanks for all your help.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

There are many variations.   This is just one example.   I decided to go with a single banked longboat at only 26 ft long.   This example from the NMM is much larger.  But you may add more oarlocks if you like.  It would not be historically inaccurate   Also  The way the shrouds are shown here are more accurate.  They were simplified in the kit rather than use the hooked method.  You will notice that most of the lines are hooked..    The hooks allow for quick demasting when the boat is to be stowed or set up for sail.  I did decide to add the hooked back stays though.   Rather than just tie them off at the cap rail as I thought it would look too kit-like.  The rope coils on the back stays are the falls from the tackle.  They are belayed to the line above the block as done on the kit.   Thats why I posted these.   Just in case folks want to go the whole nine yards with it.  The scale makes it difficult though but it would really kick it up a notch.

Chuck

Thanks for the terrific photos, Chuck. So we may post any of the Plans and Photos pictures so long as we credit them? This is good news as their library is very extensive.

Greg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Yupp....and I personally clarified this....just do the acknowledgement and if you want to go the extra nine-yards place a link as well.  See below...

Access to and use of ‘www.rmg.co.uk’ and content provided on these pages is provided by the National Maritime Museum (NMM) on the following terms:

• By using www.rmg.co.uk you agree to be bound by these terms, which shall take effect immediately on your first use of www.rmg.co.uk. If you do not agree to be bound by all of the following terms please do not access, use and/or contribute to www.rmg.co.uk
  • The NMM may change these terms from time to time and so you should check these terms regularly. Your continued use of www.rmg.co.uk will be deemed acceptance of the updated or amended terms.
  • If there is any conflict between these terms and specific local terms appearing elsewhere on www.rmg.co.uk then the latter shall prevail.

Permitted uses

We encourage you to use www.rmg.co.uk to extend your knowledge of the Museum and its topics. Subject to certain limitations, there is no copyright infringement by ‘fair dealing’, which includes use of www.rmg.co.uk content for one of the following purposes:

• private study 
  • non-commercial research
  • inclusion of content in thesis produced by students who are attending an educational establishment
  • criticism and review (and news reporting)
  • downloading content and storing a copy on a temporary basis for the sole purpose of viewing such content without alteration or addition.

Where the NMM has the right to do so, and where indicated, it has also made its collection records and images available for non commercial reuse under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA) licence http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/.

Chuck,

Thanks.  I will take a look at the paintings to see what I can find.  If I can make signal flags for a 1:1200 scale HMS VICTORY, I can make an ensign or pennant for a 1:48 longboat.  :-) 

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck, a bit off topic since this isn't rigging related, but in the pic above I am noticing the decoration at the stern and around the top of the hull. Looks like metal of some sort. I know the kit provides the friezes to use for this, but which is more historically accurate, a painting on of the decorations, or adding a carved element instead?

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Oh no its not wire at all.  It is indeed painted. Some larger barges had some carving though.

Chuck

Wow, Painted?!?! In that pic it looks very 3 dimensional

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

We could use it for signal flags.  "England expects.....".  We could utilize the whole SDSMG fleet for that one.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Nice Job indeed. I love it

cheers    :cheers:

Robert

And when the workaholic grabs me, I sit quietly in a corner and wait until the attack is over

Into dockyard:   HMY Royal Caroline 1749 made from Bone

74 Gun-ship 1781 (engl.) Admiralty Model M 1:50 by M. Stalkartt

Chuck back to the basic hull, you say you drilled holes,- Did you actually insert pins, or just drill and fill to simulate

all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I found that the drill and fill method works quite well... or in my case, pinhole and fill.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 8 months later...

Chuck - On Jeff's web site he mentions that you used mostly Boxwood from him for this model. Do you have a list of the woods you used? Is there a timbering set similar to the Pinance?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I never worked one up...but I am sure that someone here in this forum has a list.  Its basically just whatever is on the materials list plus a sheet for the keel and stem and transom....

Chuck

Hi Floyd, The material list in the kit calls for the following;

Strip wood

6 @ 1/32” x 1/32” x 12”

10 @ 1/32” x 3/16” x 12”

1 @ 1/32”x 3/32” x 12”

40 @ 1/32” x 1/8” x 12”

10 @ 1/32” x 5/32” x 12”

3 @ 1/16” x 1/16” x 12”

1 @ 1/16” x 3/16” x 12”

1 @ 5/32” x 5/32” x 12”

The keel, false keel, stem and rudder are cut from 3/32” sheet.

The transom is cut from 1/16” sheet.

I hope this helps.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Rusty! Jeff should be giving you a kickback for all the biz you are creating. :)

By the way, Chuck, did you and Rusty come up with a location on the forum for the Wood list for the Syren. You would not believe the number of PMs I have received after mentioning in a build log. since it does not belong to me and I am not an admin. I feel it is better to leave this to the 2 of you.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Yes I was but I cant think of a logical place to put it.....can you send it to me in a PM.  I imagine I will just keep it on hand as most will end up contacting me for it.  I suppose I am logical keeper of that list.

Chuck

Hi Floyd, List sent to Chuck. Also you can direct people to me for the list too. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got a good source for #69 and #70 drill bits?  I have a drill bit set that has those two sizes and I use them all the time.  I've broken a couple of them and would like to replace them, but I don't want to buy an entire set of drill bits to just get the two I use all the time.

Dan

Dan,

I received my Micro-Mark Catalog yesterday and they have quite a few drill bits on sale.  #69 and #70 on sale $7.75 a six pack.

Bob R.

San Diego Ship Modelers' Guild
Nautical Research Guild

USS Constitution Ship Modelers Guild

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1:76 scale.

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Higaki Kaisen - Woody Joe - 1:72 scale

drillbitcity.com  They are located somewhere in Chicago.  An alternate would be any model railroad shop.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful build Chuck

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Plans are only available with the kit.   You can buy one at Modelexpo-online.com or on ebay.

Chuck