HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

Looking good Stergios, it might be worth considering doing the gammoning soon, it doesn't interfere with any subsequent rigging but you might appreciate having it done before the other rigging makes it more difficult than it needs to be.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you all guys!

@Jason thank you for your advice, everything is placed temporarily for the moment. Putting the bowsprit on and off the board enable me to proceed to the realative rigging anf fittings but in the other hand to store the ship into the custom-made anti-dust naylon bag, every time I'm away the shipyard .  ;)

I consider as my 1st permanent step, doing the gammoning.

Thank's again.

Edited by Stergios

• 2 weeks later...

Rigging of main and preventer stay collars finished

post-944-0-23161600-1477313561.jpg

post-944-0-12797900-1477313572.jpg

Now its time for the next turn.

I'm thinking to leave the bowsprit mounting and other relative fittings for a later stage because I want to avoid any unexpected "injury" of those parts.

So my plan is to continue and accomplish any other "posterior" and "vertical" rigging is now available, and to leave the two final stages of yards and bowsprit for the end.

I'm not so sure what;s your experienced opinions for my thoughts... 

Edited by Stergios

Looking good Stergios, I mounted the bowsprit standing rigging before any of the masts and associated rigging without any problems,did not seem to get in the way at all (except for boomkins which went on with the masts)

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I did the same thing. I rig from front to back but fellow club members prefer back to front. Its a matter of taste.

Keep up the great work,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Well, is a real headache trying to understand the rest of the rigging of the ship....  :rolleyes: (especially when this is your 1st effort).

Did you find your way from the plans of the kit or from other period rigging manuals? 

Thanks

Edited by Stergios

Always the key references...D'Arcy Lever's "Young Sea Officers Sheet Anchor", and Lennarth Petersson's "Rigging Period Ship Models".

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I used Lever and Pierson along with the plans.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Before I go, three basic questions to know in advance:

a) Have you used 1 brass wire for the respective connections or something thicker? The No 145 on the right, could be No 146 1,5mm wire?

B) Have you used the casting material of the kit for the boom rings of the yards (No 152, 153) or card-paper or stirrups?

and

c) I'm not seeing any of those "caps" (at each end of the yard) into the kit... Is it something important? Can I deal without its existence?

Thank you in advance again

post-944-0-99929500-1477659832.jpg

Edited by Stergios

Can't remember what they are called (trucks?) - they are lashed to some of the backstays and they keep certain lines of the running rigging configured so they don't foul others.  Not the best explanation, but hope it helps.  They are called out on the plans if I remember correctly.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Stergios,

The item you have indicated with the yellow line should be on the photoetch supplied with the kit. If they are the same (which is likely) as in the C.C. Cruiser kit the rounded portion is too large and the flat portion too wide,easily fixed with a small file. I had to reduce mine by about 1mm to fit with the yardarm end dimension given on the Cruiser plans and approximately halved the width of the straps as they looked very out of scale.

The trucks are for the Topsail Yard ties which should be led through them. They are lashed to the aft Topmast Backstays,their position should be shown on the rigging plans.

Dave :dancetl6:

Edited by davyboy

Before I go, three basic questions to know in advance:

a) Have you used 1 brass wire for the respective connections or something thicker? The No 145 on the right, could be No 146 1,5mm wire?

B) Have you used the casting material of the kit for the boom rings of the yards (No 152, 153) or card-paper or stirrups?

and

c) I'm not seeing any of those "caps" (at each end of the yard) into the kit... Is it something important? Can I deal without its existence?

Thank you in advance again

a) I used what was recommended, no issues

B) Yes, photos in my log think show this

c) I used the caps, but as Davyboy pointed out, they are too big.  I made card to simulate the various iron band, the PE end cap is not really needed and its easier to not use it I think.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Stergios,

The item you have indicated with the yellow line should be on the photoetch supplied with the kit. If they are the same (which is likely) as in the C.C. Cruiser kit the rounded portion is too large and the flat portion too wide,easily fixed with a small file. I had to reduce mine by about 1mm to fit with the yardarm end dimension given on the Cruiser plans and approximately halved the width of the straps as they looked very out of scale.

The trucks are for the Topsail Yard ties which should be led through them. They are lashed to the aft Topmast Backstays,their position should be shown on the rigging plans.

Hi Dave

Finally I've found those parts, I'll try to test their dimensions tomorrow.

Thank you! 

Btw do you think that the brass wire No 145 on the right side of the photo/plan (post #860) is in fact 1,5 mm brass wire (No 146)?

Thanks again. 

Edited by Stergios

Any idea for those casting parts (6 pieces)?

Cheers

Not sure if it's of any use for you, but I found a nice image of a truck in a book about masts and rigging..

wantkloot_zpstxqgvqh7.jpg

With one or two holes.

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Hi Dave

Finally I've found those parts, I'll try to test their dimensions tomorrow.

Thank you! 

Btw do you think that the brass wire No 145 on the right side of the photo/plan (post #860) is in fact 1,5 mm brass wire (No 146)?

Thanks again. 

Hi Stergios,

No idea really but I would definitely use 1mm brass wire,1,5mm is much too large in my opinion. I used the 1mm on my Cruiser,looks ok.