HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

One thing I did Stergios (I used the supplied CC rope), was to ensure that it had been fully straightened to remove any kinks ( simply running through fingers or leaving a length suspended from a door frame with a clamp on one end as a small weight).  It should then hang a lot more naturally, and if necessary then a little watered down PVA can help as well once on place.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

20 hours ago, drtrap said:

Davemc, jason, thank you so much.

I've prepared two rope-specimen (using watered pva and floor varnish respectively).

I'll inform you about the final results...

Well, i think that the floor varnish is the best option to stabilize ropes and footropes and give a natural sense of the whole creature.

Removing the pins-counterweights from the pva hardened rope leaves a rope sticky spot at the place of each pin which is totally undesirable....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi to everyone.

After the final trimming of the yards I'm showing you the latest picture of the ship and this way the stage of the current construction. Sorry for the anti-dust cover :)

Now, I really need your recommendations on "how to proceed, next":

working on the standing rigging ?, working upwards (and outwards)?, leaving the vulnerable bowsprit and its rigging for later? Doing something else?

Thank you in advance.

Stergios

IMG_1912.JPG

Bowsprit standing rigging does not interfere with the other masts - I also started from the back.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

On 17/6/2018 at 5:59 AM, Beef Wellington said:

Bowsprit standing rigging does not interfere with the other masts - I also started from the back.

Hi Jason 

To my knowledge, to be able to put and finish the stays (main and preventer) I have to fix the bowsprit dowel in advance.

Am I wrong somewhere?

Hi Stergios - my apologies, I used the wrong words in a hurry.  The bowsprit does need to be fitted as you describe for the main, preventer stays to be completed.  There is also a fair amount of standing rigging on the bowsprit that I would suggest doing before you do that.  I think I actually did the bowsprit standing rigging before actually starting the mast standing rigging working from the stern.

What I meant to say above was that its not really necessary to attach the jib boom at this point - makes manipulating the model much easier as the jib boom seems to be an accident waiting to happen.  Good Luck!

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

On 18/6/2018 at 3:27 PM, Beef Wellington said:

Hi Stergios - my apologies, I used the wrong words in a hurry.  The bowsprit does need to be fitted as you describe for the main, preventer stays to be completed.  There is also a fair amount of standing rigging on the bowsprit that I would suggest doing before you do that.  I think I actually did the bowsprit standing rigging before actually starting the mast standing rigging working from the stern.

What I meant to say above was that its not really necessary to attach the jib boom at this point - makes manipulating the model much easier as the jib boom seems to be an accident waiting to happen.  Good Luck!

Hi Jason and thank you again.

I think I've finished with the standing rigging of the bowsprit. The rest of it's rigging, needs to have attached the bowsprit to the ship.

Pic to follow...

So (excluding the jib boom, I strongly agree with you), what's in your opinion the very first point to start with working the rigging form the stern?

Cheers.

Stergios

Everytime I'm seeing the plan, I feel more unsecure about those "H" structures, named as "3 mm single blocks" in the plan...

It is possible to be in fact 3 mm deadeyes?

I tried to find a reference using Petersson rigging period ship models, but no chance....

What do you think?

Thank you

IMG_1944.JPG

Edited by drtrap

• 1 month later...

Now ready to place the main mast back stays and those (spotted in red) ropes structures (i'm not sure about their terminology).

A question in brief: I've applied serving at the upper 1/5 of the shrouds of the main mast, those days.

Should I continue the some way (serving) of those rope structures, too?

Thank you

4 - Αντίγραφο.JPG

On 8/5/2018 at 9:06 PM, Davemc said:

Sorry beyond my knowledge and skill level

Dave

Thank you Dave.

I still can't understand their role and orientation.

Am I dealing with those so-called "main topmast halliards" (L. Petersson page 39)?

Studying the Snake plans I'm not seeing any connection with the yards....

Any advise from someone senior modeller?

Thank you.

They look like back stays to me.  There should be a set on each side.  The halyards would be on the running rigging diagram.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thank you all for your replies.

It was my fault to show you a wrong initial picture...

I'm asking you about the threads noted in the circle (see pic below) ......

Those are different ropes, A 1mm and B 0,75 mm and I dont think those are the topmast backstays...

Apart for the issue of the serving I'm trying to realize their orientation and final (could be a yard ??) attachment .

Thank you again.

4 - Αντίγραφο.JPG

Edited by drtrap

Hi drtrap,

They are the Topmast backstays,respectively from fore to aft.

The first is the Shifting Backstay.

The second is the Breast Backstay.

The third is the Standing Backstay which is set up with deadeyes.

I have checked Steels' dimensions of Standing and Running rigging,he quotes for a 6th rate ship

such as HMS Snake :-

4 1/2" rope for the Standing Topmast Backstay and the Shifting Backstay and 3" rope for the Breast Backstay

hence the two different sizes quoted on your plan for A and B. They have nothing to do with yards or running rigging.

I have just noticed that there is an almost identical arrangement on the Foremast except the Breast Backstay is further aft.

I hope this helps with your problem.

Kind regards,

Dave :dancetl6: 

Edited by davyboy