Le Mirage by fnick - Corel - 1:75 - wood

Hello Nick That is a great job you have done on the planking. Sand it up and put on some finish coats and should look brilliant.

On my next ship (2nd) I want to do the planking like this, so I have book marked your blog so that i can fire the

questions at you.

I think you are being a bit fussy about the timber colours, Timber is timber, it quite often varies, some fades

a bit quicker, and even after you put a finish on, keeps fading. Hold a bit of wood up and turn it around it

often goes from light to dark and back again.

That's why we like it so much and this hobby, its real, nature made it. 

Keep the posts coming. Thanks Chris

Thanks for the likes Belco, Gunther and Chris!

Hi Chris

Thanks for your comments! Much appreciated. Yes maybe I am being fussy but heh it's my ship! :P . The colour differences are a bit difficult to see from the pictures. I know what you mean about the timber varying naturally but with the naked eye the walnut on the keel looks different enough to the walnut used for the planking that to me it just doesn't look right. Also the walnut timber I used originally was very brittle and difficult to work with which makes the keel look a bit messy anyway irrespective of the colour.

Anyhoo this is all a bit of a moot point now since I have removed said wood and have started replanking.  :D

When everything is replanked I'll post some before and after pictures side by side which will hopefully show what I meant.

Cheers

Nick

• 6 months later...

Evening all

time for my 8 monthly update  :rolleyes: . Where does time fly? Oh yeah work, kids, sleep, etc  :D . Finally got one side replanked. I'm much happier with the result. Here's an overall shot to start off with.

post-600-0-48236200-1457219040_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of before and after shots.

post-600-0-46007600-1457219107_thumb.jpgpost-600-0-71329900-1457219151_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-18506500-1457219278_thumb.jpgpost-600-0-45438900-1457219302_thumb.jpg

and finally

post-600-0-93779800-1457219333_thumb.jpg

Just need to finish the other side and then I'm back exactly where I was in the summer last year!  :D  :D

Nick

Beautiful. You are doing an excellent job. Your planking looks very well done. Never mind the discolored planks. I think they give the ship more realism. :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Never mind the discolored planks. I think they give the ship more realism.

I completely agree as long as it at least looks like the same species of wood!  :D  My lighting setup in my garage ( two fluorescent bulbs) doesnt help show what  I mean on the photos. I probably should take some pictures with natural light but UK weather is not the best at the moment!! :D

It may feel like three steps forward and two back

sure does... :(  :P

but it will be worth it in the long run

it already is Nigel!

Cheers 

Nick

Hi Mike

Thank you very much for your comment!  :)  :blush: .It is walnut I can assure you :) . The walnut above the yellow wood (can't remember name...) came with the kit and the walnut below I ordered from Jotika and they do match. However I also got some other walnut (supposedly) that looks nothing like what I'm using now so go figure. I know you can get dark walnut as well. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Cheers

Nick

• 1 month later...

Evening all

Minor update but mini major milestone as far as I'm concerned. I've finished replanking what I ripped off last August! Only took me 9 months!  :D  :blush: A loooooooooot longer than I thought but oh so worth it.

post-600-0-25425000-1462573720_thumb.jpg

So back to finishing the second planking. One band of 9 planks to do. That won't take long right?!?  :P  :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking

Nick

Beautiful work Nick!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Nick, my Pegasus is slowly coming along, thanks for asking.  I'm finishing the upper hull second planking which is a little tricky given that I'm testing and using stains and taking extra care to get the lines right.  I'll post an update soon.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 3 months later...

Wait for it....

post-600-0-81143500-1472076733_thumb.jpg

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Second planking is finally finished*

post-600-0-48237900-1472076853_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-96083500-1472076871_thumb.jpg

*well ok apart from two/three planks to reglue, gaps to fill and sanding the entire hull... :rolleyes:  :D

Sorry for poor quality pics (from mobile) but I just couldn't wait till tomorrow to get the SLR out and tell you guys and girls  :)

Happy Dance Time!  :dancetl6:

Nick

Nick,

Your #72 pic of the stem is indeed perfect, as is all of your hull planking. A pleasure to follow along.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all

First of all thanks for all the comments and the likes.

Finally got round to taking a couple of shots with the SLR. I've sanded down one side and sorted out all the gun ports so hopefully they are all the same size (more or less  :D )

First of all here's the non sanded side for comparison.

post-600-0-34476200-1474318809_thumb.jpg

And then the sanded side. Sanding and gun port sorting out probably took around 8 hours ish.

post-600-0-90327600-1474318921_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nick

Turning out to be a real beauty Nick.  Very nice job!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice !

My dream is to make model from natural wood, which require more skill than I have.

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Very minor update. Managed to drill a hole in all the gunports to fit the dummy guns. I wanted to do that before installing the decks and wales. Hasn't come out too badly. I did manage to loose one of the guns  :angry:  between counting them (and yes I did have the correct number!) and installing them. I am not too worried as I am sure that it will turn up as soon as I order a replacement.  :D

Couple of pictures (excuse the quality...)

post-600-0-80366500-1487595503_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-45276200-1487595512_thumb.jpg

The guns are not glued in at the moment. I'll do that at a later stage. Next step is installing the deck beams and the main deck.

Thanks for looking

Nick

growing up, testing my wife's patience (they are on half term holiday) and stopping me from doing more ship modelling  :D . My boy is a typical 5 year old bulldozer and my daughter is a fully fledged threenager...

So pretty normal really  :rolleyes:

Nick

PS: Love them really

Evening all

The deck supports are all cut to size. I'm in the process of sanding them down to a slightly curved shape.

58b4a96b4ec4a_DSC_0896(Custom).thumb.JPG.0042bfc71dfba197e2195e2bd5a47c94.JPG

Question for you all: the instructions mention (see pic below figure 13) that once the deck is glue the top of the bulkheads should be cut off. It just seems far easier to mark the top of the deck support on the bulkhead and cut it before the deck is glued. Yes the deck does have notches to help line it up with the bulkheads but in true Corel style they don't appear to!:rolleyes::D.

58b4a96f11537_DSC_0898(Custom).thumb.JPG.d80b461c85be6995fc480db36c106c34.JPG

so anyway I can't see why I shouldn't cut the top of the bulkheads off before gluing the deck as that seems far easier. Or am I missing something...?:unsure:

Nick

I would say you could go either way,but you may want to set the deck in place & mark the extensions at the level of the deck first so you won`t have a dip when you lay the deck planks. In other words, the extensions should be cut off at the same level as the false deck. Hope that helps.

Mark 

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways