Le Mirage by fnick - Corel - 1:75 - wood

Nick,

As far as I understand the plans the bulkhead tops are to beveled before inside planking commence.

What does the instruction say?

So, the deck can be installed prior any bulkhead tops are trimmed.

Please disregard the three sentences above.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks for the comments gents! Mark as far as I can see the deck extends to the bulwarks so I think all I need to do is ensure that the bulkheads are trimmed to the same level as the deck supports. In any event your suggestion of making sure there are no dips is a good one!

Nick

Hi Simar

Thank you very much for your comments! :) Yes I did spill the planks from 1mm thick walnut sheet. It did mean that the second planking took much longer that it would normally have done but the results are in my opinion definitely worth it. I would not do a second planking any different from now on!

Thanks

Nick

PS: I used the spilling method described by Chuck here: Lining off a hull

• 1 month later...

Evening all

I've glued on the wales and the upper boards(?) on the port side. Not having any suitable clamps I basically glued them using super glue for immediate hold on small sections and wood glue for the rest for a longer hold. Unfortunately some of the super glue has seeped out (the dark patches) :(. Hopefully I wont regret that when I apply the finish (planning to use danish oil at this stage). Of course if anyone has any ideas how to get rid of super glue...;)

I've also glue all the decks on but that was probably (another) mistake as this will make some of the deck planking and installing of some of the guns more problematic. Oh well lesson learnt for next time. 

5907a90f2a5db_DSC_0060-crop(Custom).thumb.JPG.ab9895f8ad09c8f39554c5db3669327b.JPG

5907a9250e981_DSC_0064-crop(Custom).thumb.JPG.4310e4e7a01b9aff4d2f48701eb8b3ca.JPG

I also just realised my backdrop isnt best suited for model photography. Think I might invest in some large stiff white card which hopefully should be more suitable.

Thanks for looking

Nick

This looks like a beautiful ship. :)

Acetone dissolves CA, but you must be very careful not to unglue what needs to remain glued ;)

I would not put any finish until all the CA spots have been removed. Test with a little thinner applied with a rag. Thinner gives you a very approximate way of how your planking will look after applying the finish, and it evaporates very quickly without damage. If you see spots after applying the thinner, very likely you will see spots after applying your finish, but then, it will be too late. :o

Hope this helps.

Ulises

PS Edit: Do not apply thinner over painted areas!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 1 year later...

Evening all

Yikes, can't believe it's been over a year since my last update... (well actually I can... :( ). I've not worked on Le Mirage for quite a few months until about a month ago. Decided I should line the gun ports even though the instructions make (as far as I am aware) no mention of this. It's one of those tasks that would have been a lot easier BEFORE I put on the second planking! :D. I try to spend half my build time at a go doing those before doing something else far more interesting like planking the deck. 

Slowly (very slowly), it's moving along. Just nice to see some progress. Here are some progress shots.

5b046eaf8f80d_DSC_0356(Custom).thumb.JPG.28ddacc7761f186d0e75eb1abcbd08c9.JPG

5b046ebe75def_DSC_0351(Custom).thumb.JPG.a65de069fd0eadaeae2382498ad6aaf5.JPG

5b046edab5f9d_DSC_0353(Custom).thumb.JPG.533c8dbbe2c36240eabe14868f1e43c3.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

Nick

Nick,

So glad that you have re-opened your shipyard. Yours is the best Corel Mirage that I have seen so far!! super nice work, I started this one years ago

but never finished it. 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Looks great Nick!  The King would be proud :P

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Must resist... No can't... 

"Thank you. Thank you very much..." 😝

Seriously thanks for the very kind comments. Far too generous. Yes it's good being back in the shipyard. Trying to take advantage of free half hours here and there as opposed to waiting for a two hour slot to be free. Doesn't exist anymore with 2 kids! 😁. 

Cheers Nick. 

Ps: thanks also to all who clicked on the like button 

I know the feeling.  I have three and after a day of work and then coming home to my real job and getting them fed, bathed and in bed, often times it’s hard to find the energy to work on my models.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

17 hours ago, fnick said:

Must resist... No can't... 

"Thank you. Thank you very much..." 😝

Seriously thanks for the very kind comments. Far too generous. Yes it's good being back in the shipyard. Trying to take advantage of free half hours here and there as opposed to waiting for a two hour slot to be free. Doesn't exist anymore with 2 kids! 😁. 

Cheers Nick. 

Ps: thanks also to all who clicked on the like button 

This, for me, is the key; 1/2 an hour doesn't seem like much time, but it sure makes a difference in the long-run!  Incremental progress.  You will get there.  And this really is a superb execution of the Le Mirage kit.  I will be following along with great interest.

Also, with regard to your cyano bleeds;  you should be able to simply sand your surface and apply finish.  I use cyano to repair un-intended breaks when wood carving, and the glue line never shows through the surface finish.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all

Small but quite satisfactory update. All the gunports are lined! Glad that's finished. Busy planking the decks. That is progressing quite nicely. Progress picture below. On the second picture I was quite close with the flash so the true wood colours are no way near as harsh! Just saying :)

5b26cc1923d56_DSC_0357(Large).thumb.JPG.bc28ef911c9827c378b5b135515f3cbb.JPG

5b26cc35aca35_DSC_0358(Large).thumb.JPG.55e1d3b491f801c9a6a562c01eabb5e5.JPG

5b26cc4840417_DSC_0361(Large).thumb.JPG.79a4d15da6837f3708b3a1a8d556bbfb.JPG

Oh and a big thank you to Hubac's Historian for the tip on how to get rid of superglue stains. worked a treat! Still got a few to remove.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Hi all

quick update. Deck planking finished. Treenails simulated by pressing pencil into deck. Unfortunately in a few places planking was flush on supporting deck so pencil went through ☹️... Havee no planking timber left (and I was being careful with wastage!) So will check to see if the couple of holes can be covered up by deck furniture. Dark patches are where I used same type of timber sanded down and mixed with water and PVA to fill holes. Color did not match... Does not look as bad in real life but not sure what to do about that for now. First level of handrails glued down. Here are some pictures.

IMG_20180811_151541039.thumb.jpg.ad4e4b41498827f859e3ff88d03add8f.jpg

IMG_20180811_151557062.thumb.jpg.9c643dedde55c04da4171fbcc30e0e70.jpg

thanks for looking.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Morning all

I now have a table saw! 😀😁IMG_20180913_215107023.thumb.jpg.6eebd125067df57450e792c54cd10547.jpg

Wow the difference. Would have taken me 30min to cut 3 or 4 handrail supports,file them.all 50 odd I needed done in 10min with a far superior finish. ,£120 very well spent!

So handrails are nearly all installed as shown below.

IMG_20180923_065545236.thumb.jpg.811954034ae5a67a63a94a0a6e885808.jpg

And chamfered

IMG_20180923_065630083.thumb.jpg.602c298ef4943f0b8660844c48eebd26.jpg

Remaining handrails are made with golden columns. All I need to do is get rid of a few remaining superglue spots and it's time for a coat of Danish oil.

I won't do the deck yet.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

Edited by fnick

Congrats on your buy!!!

Anyone has an idea how this saw compares (performancewise) to the much more expensive Byrne's?

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

I am so tempted to purchase a table saw, however they really scare me.

Out of interest what  model # is it?

Great build by the way.

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

I used to have a Dewalt 10 inch table saw. Now, THAT was scary. 🤐

3 hours ago, Ulises Victoria said:

Anyone has an idea how this saw compares (performancewise) to the much more expensive Byrne's?

Check out Fnick's other thread about this saw.

Link:

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

The Proxxon is basically the same saw as the Micro Mark. The fence on these saws is one of the keys on how well they function. The fence on the Micro Mark is terrible. It is hard to set and it come loose. Saving up for the Byrnes. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

As Jim replied, Proxxon basically the same as Micro-Mark.

It should read the other way around as Micro-Mark is a Chinese copy of Proxxon.

I have an older Proxxon that does a decent job,  but after working with Byrnes table saw, there is nothing better than Byrnes! Saving up for that table.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

How could I?

Nick, I am sorry ..... I forgot to mention how nice your Le Mirage is coming together.  Beautiful done.

Respectfully