Royal Louis 1780 by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1/90 - French 126-gun ship

Hello all.

Couldn't wait and I'm posting these photos with the sole purpose of starting my Royal Louis build log.

post-975-0-46229500-1407704810_thumb.jpg

I'm under the impression this will be a real challenge.

Box and contents shown. I know before hand I won't be using some of the stuff in this kit. Like those metal boats: Plan to purchase wooden kits for those parts. Blocks: I'm planning to purchase blocks from an external source. Rigging thread: I will make my own. Too many metal parts. Still don't know which I will use or won't. Will decide in due time.

Actual build photos will come later.

All you see in the photos is all the room I have to build. That is a blanket closet.  :(

I dream of a really big and spacious shop.  ;)

post-975-0-13517100-1397178505_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-44629200-1397178512_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-53592700-1397178519_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-08601500-1397178526_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-93319400-1397178531_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-76752700-1397178537_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-53250600-1397178543_thumb.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

You will never ever see my workspace this neat and clean again. (I must confess it wasn't me, but my cleaning lady.)  B)

Now I feel more motivated to start building.

And yes, this is all the room I have to build my ships.  :(

post-975-0-38495200-1397259323_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-54661100-1397259640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Hi again,

I am so happy to be here from the very beginning to watch you build another magnificent ship!   If the box for your Royal Louis was any bigger then you would need a larger desk just to hold it haha.

But on the bright side, at least you don't have too much room to lose things  :P

Hi again,

I am so happy to be here from the very beginning to watch you build another magnificent ship! If the box for your Royal Louis was any bigger then you would need a larger desk just to hold it haha.

But on the bright side, at least you don't have too much room to lose things :P

He he thanks. Problem is a larger desk won't fit there.  :P

Oh my God! Look at the size of this skeleton. It fills my table! And without bowsprit!!

Where am I going to do the actual work???  :huh:

post-975-0-51649200-1397414374_thumb.jpg

I think you must change your workplace, for instance dinning or sleeping room for coset and viceversa, haha!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Anyway  good luck with your Royal   :cheers:

Saludos, Karl

start is there Ulises, I think you have to move to an other room in your house.

If there was one, I would've already. :)

Running a strip of wood over the upper surface of the frames, revealed that they were not properly aligned. Marked with arrows the direction in which some frames had to be adjusted. When they needed to be rised, a small bit of wood was glued in the slot.

post-975-0-23177600-1397439555_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-77493500-1397439561_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-95956300-1397439569_thumb.jpg

Oh my God! Look at the size of this skeleton. It fills my table! And without bowsprit!!

Where am I going to do the actual work???  :huh:

Hmmm ... maybe you could attach your keel-holder to a hat. Then balance the model on your head whilst working on parts at your desk.

Just don't turn around too quickly in that small space !!!

But, seriously, I know how you feel, UV. My own work-space isn't much bigger than yours ... at least not for another eight weeks. Then I'll have an entire bedroom dedicated to ship-building.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I plank mine using my thighs as a clamp and as a table :)

The surface area of the hull below the wales is absolutely huge, it gives a sense of the size of a 120+ gun first rate much better than the Occre Santisima Trinidad.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Nice kit. I also have experience with manufactures who puts lots of metal parts in the kit instead of wood :(

I wish you good luck with your built, I will follow it!

(By the way, you have more space to work than me ;) )

Nick :cheers:

Model building Projects in progress:

- Hermione la Fayette, Artesania Latina:

- LINK TO Forum (MSW): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2649-hermione-la-fayette-by-nickvn-artesania-latina-second-wooden-ship-built/page-1

- LINK TO Photo album (dutch website): https://modelbrouwers.nl/albums/album/11697/

There is a few metal parts but it's not that bad imo.

Some of the rigging items could've been wood perhaps.

I don;t mind the metal head rails, the galleries or the fences with the belltowers - they're all quite ok. I could see some making their own head rails if they wanted of course. The metal ships wheel is fair enough imo. My kit had wooden fibre boats rather than metal ones so can't comment there. 

One thing to think about is the "box wood" quantities supplied and if it is enough...mine was a few short which had to be supplemented by material form another mamoli kit.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Hi Ulises,

Is it so much bigger than the Vasa?

I'll be happy to follow your build, le Royal Louis is one ship from my favourite period of history.

Enjoy your build!

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Hi Ulises,

Is it so much bigger than the Vasa?

I'll be happy to follow your build, le Royal Louis is one ship from my favourite period of history.

Enjoy your build!

Hello Padeen.

Vasa: 940mm at 1/75 scale ; Royal Louis: 1080mm at 1/90 but a lot wider at the waist.

Thanks all for visiting and commenting. 

This looks like a real nice  build Ulises,it's a beautiful ship . I'll be look'n in from time to time  to ck on your progress. Have Fun!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Update April 15.

Glued all the frames, the 2 square bars that go all the length of them and a small piece that seems to be some sort of a holding place for the main mast.

Making sure frame one is 90o to the keel

post-975-0-73523300-1397604851_thumb.jpg

Double check

post-975-0-25561400-1397604946_thumb.jpg

A few more frames

post-975-0-15619400-1397604974_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-79715500-1397605019_thumb.jpg

Making sure at every step along the way, that everything is as it should.... and still mistakes happen :P

post-975-0-40070300-1397605031_thumb.jpg

Completed all the frames. Views from different angles.

post-975-0-84566900-1397605086_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-77487000-1397605124_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-36643900-1397605132_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-31854200-1397605139_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-78915800-1397605172_thumb.jpg

So far, so good!

Thanks for watching.

Thank you Azzoun.It is indeed a large model, and to me is so very beautiful. I am actually surprised there are so few build logs of this ship here in MSW as well as some other ship modeling forums I visit.

It's not a cheap kit, so that may be one of the reasons.

If I'm building this right now, is because I got it at a super discount at Model Expo back in 2010. I couldn't afford it at its regular price.

Hi Ulises,

This is a great looking project! You are off to a wonderful fast start. A beautiful ship and a really large model. Good luck on your new build.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Hi Ulises,

You're doing a great job on her.   I think you hit it dead center on why there's not more builds of her... cost and let's add size.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)