Royal Louis 1780 by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1/90 - French 126-gun ship

You are busy Ulises !!!!!!

I thought I've bin away fro 2 weeks but what I see from your work it looks like 2 months !!!!

Everything is very well done !!

Sjors

Sjors! I was beginning to miss your likes!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thank you and Pat for your comments, and everyone who clicked the "like this" button. This encouragement is always welcome!!!  :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

G'day Ulisus

Sorry for being absent from your log for a few weeks. Great stuff that you have done. I'm amazed at the amount of work that you have completed in such a short time.

Regarding your idea about plugging on the bow doors QUOTE: Drill small holes on the wood. I put a drop of Boiled Linseed Oil on a piece of fine sandpaper. The dust will mix with the BLO and fill the holes. This will make the effect of plugs. Great for deck planking. ;) this is a brilliant idea mate. Another thing that will go into my memory vault!

Regarding the 34° of the bow sprint. What Pat told you re the digital level, is what I do as well. If I'm not mistaken the angle of taken from the waterline not the angle of the deck (which could be on an angle it self).

havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 3 weeks later...

DISASTER!!!!

I am brokenhearted. I was working on these pieces, (125 and 126) which come flat and are supposed to be bent to form some sort of 3 sided semi-circle. When I tried to bend them, they broke, wood and windows came apart and it was a total mess.

post-975-0-92990800-1465580128_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-75007100-1465580215_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-34461500-1465580260_thumb.jpg

My jaw dropped when I realized that without these parts the ship could not be completed.

I contacted a fellow member here who was building this kit and after planking the hull he decided to quit in order to focus on more important things for him. I asked him to sell me those pieces, but he already gave the kit to someone else.

I have contacted several kit sellers who sell this kit to see if they sell spare parts, with no success.

So after a long thought I decided to try and make them scratch using sheet aluminum. I've never tried something like this.

Anyway, here is some progress.

I am tracing the profile of the parts using a pen engraver.

post-975-0-56594600-1465580506_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-39129000-1465580546_thumb.jpg

It is actually nice to see a shapeless and ugly hole like this...

post-975-0-76081000-1465580592_thumb.jpg

...becoming, after some time and careful effort, a nice square like this...

post-975-0-47127400-1465580658_thumb.jpg

I am not sure what the final outcome will be. Anyway, this will be one hell of a job for me since I've never attempted anything like this, and one that certainly will keep me busy for the next several days.

Wish me luck!!!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

I have no doubt in your work. It will be ok

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Good luck Ulises - your Royal Louis is gorgeous, and I'm sure this will end up being only a minor, temporary setback.

What about making them in wood?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thank you Nenad, Sjors and Mike for your encouragement.

So far, so good.

Mike, wood will be my next try if this one fails. I am NOT giving up!!!

Ulises, take a look at my Royal William build log. Fabricating a part like that is not difficult, you just need to think outside the box! Personally I wouldn't bother with aluminum, I would make a frame out of plastic and veneer over it. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

It's safe to say we have faith in your abilities, Ulises.   I too am not sure about aluminum.. styrene or wood maybe?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hmmm... yeah. On second thought aluminum may not be my best option. Thanks a lot mates. I will study other options now!!!

Perseverance and experimentation will find you a solution you can work with Ulises; I am sure you will overcome this mishap and it is great to see you haven't given up on it.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

G'day Ulises

I'm sorry for your 'disaster'. You are very courageous to attempt this very difficult replacement, and what I can tell, you are doing just fine.

All the best mate. does it mean that you have to do make the other side aswell?

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

G'day Ulises

I'm sorry for your 'disaster'. You are very courageous to attempt this very difficult replacement, and what I can tell, you are doing just fine.

All the best mate. does it mean that you have to do make the other side aswell?

Havagooday

Greg

Thanks Greg! Yes, I am making both 125 and 126 parts, 2 of each for each side.

Thank you very much for your thoughts, Arthur.

I have no soldering equipment nor skills to do any soldering. The only thing I need to do is the three section windows. The rest of the pieces are OK.

Good luck Ulises! I'm sure you will figure out something that works!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hola Ulises:

In some cases I have had to make similar parts that you mention. What I do with with good results is to take the original part and pressed it in modeling clay (the one that is sold as play dough - plastilina) Once the mold is done, fill it with Devcon plast-steel, in Mexico "PlastiAcero" (comes in 2 similar to the epoxy resin tubes). When dry you can cut, sanded and painted without problem.

regards

Thank you all for your support.

Karleop. Good idea. I may have some plastiacero around as I use it frequently. Never thought about using it on molds of plastilina. Another option!!!! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Don.

Wow... this sure is a delayed answer. I am very sorry I didn't notice your question until now.

My kit doesn't come with any coloring guide. I am going with "Barn Red" color for the carriages, the same color I used for the bulwarks and black wheels.

Btw I built Heller's RL a very long time ago. This kit was a pleasure to do.

Best of lucks.

Ulises

Ulises,

Hmmm did I fall behind in your build log, or have you gone "ship supersonic"?  Great amount of excellent work. Looking very good.

PS: Yes your part #112 is a difficult bit. I had the same issue, though I did not know how to do it correctly, and it now needs re-work.

Well that is the great part of MSW - we learn so much from each other as well. You did a great job of figuring it out.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Ulises,

I don't how you tried to bend those pieces, but if they are like other models they are made of a soft cast metal. On my Royal William there are dozens of parts made like that, most of which need some serious bending as well. I had good luck using a small butane torch and an anvil. Just be careful not to melt the parts with the torch. Pass the flame back and forth quickly over the parts only until they are just too hot to touch. Then place on the anvil and form the curves with a small plastic or nylon hammer. It worked for me and I never broke a single part. Just work slowly.

You appear to be a skilled builder and will figure something out. Good luck.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

Hello fellow ship modelers. Here's some good and bad news.

I wanted to post an update when the whole transom was completely done. I have completed only the rear part, (not the sides) as you will see in the following pictures. The sides, the area where I posted before that the parts broke and cursed and blah blah blah, will have to be finished later.

I am still thinking of ways to do that area. So many options, so little... whatever :)

My sister, who is totally dependent upon me because her diabetic feet and other illness,  and lives with me, broke her hip, had to undergo surgery and today is being moved to my home.

So my building time and mood will be severely undermined for some time in the future.

So I decided to post what I have done so far.

As always, thanks for visiting, and every single word of positive criticism will be taken in account. 

I love you guys!!! :)

This area had to be filled

post-975-0-56189400-1471368803_thumb.jpg

I used play doh to make a mold. then I moved the parts a bit downwards. I then filled the space with "Plastiacero" (Plasi-steel) which is a two part epoxy component with a metal charge that hardens very hard.

post-975-0-14420100-1471368856_thumb.jpg

Here the two parts with the extension added and filed, and partially painted. Also the upper curved part partially painted

post-975-0-00222400-1471369077_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-50538700-1471369130_thumb.jpg

The upper part glued in place. The white wood parts you see are fillers which will be reworked later

post-975-0-59148700-1471369188_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-05721900-1471369280_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-54238700-1471369296_thumb.jpg

Here the 2 vertical sections have been glued. You can see at the right the black spot plastiacero left. I used plastiacero to bond metal to metal, and 5 min epoxy to bond metal to wood.

post-975-0-58277000-1471369328_thumb.jpg

Lower and upper  balustrades added.

post-975-0-07119700-1471369448_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-51429500-1471369512_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-06510400-1471369559_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-49974000-1471369581_thumb.jpg

Close up of one of the winged female angels. I didn't know angels had gender, but this one obviously do. :)

post-975-0-99180400-1471369685_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for visiting!!!

Ulises

Thank you Arthur!

My sis had a small crack in the bone where the femur joins the pelvis. It was rather small, so they put a "nail" and a plate there. No need for prothesis Thank God.

Thank you and all who posted above for your good wishes!

One update and 20 pictures  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thank you my friend !!!!!!

Nice stern.....of the ship of course !

Wish your sister all the goods that's possible in this world !

With you as a nurse ,is must be good  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Sjors: Thanks for counting the photos for me. :D  :D

And thanks for your kind words for my sis. We will move her to a special care home this Saturday so she can have better care.

I am actually a lousy nurse :) ​    ​​

Very neat work!!! Love the color.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher