Royal Louis 1780 by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1/90 - French 126-gun ship

Looking good. Have you checked the length of the dummy barrels so they don`t stick out too far? Just a thought. :)

/Mark

Thank you all for the likes and your comments. Many times a simple comment makes you see things from a different point of view and reveal something is not completely right. I appreciate all the comments and particularly those like this from Mark, who points out a good point.

Mark: I remember checking some of the cannons but not all. Will do that next session. Thank you.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Planking between the gunports looks as though it will be a problem. You have a bulkhead at one end to attach the planks to, but nothing at the other end. Could you epoxy some support strips to the sides of the gunports to fix the planks to?

Arthur: Yeah. I'm foreseeing a problem here, but that is how I understand the instructions. I was planning to epoxy the end side of the plank to the side of the frame and the upper and lower edges to each other over and below..

Planking this is going to be a very interesting job. :)

Thanks for your input, my friend.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

I thank everyone for your comments and your likes.

I just want to point out a mistake I made and that it happened  because my failing to plan ahead or foresee potential problems.

At the beginning of my log I pointed out that some of the upper surface of the bulkheads, where the false deck would lay on, was not leveled, and I showed a photo with a strip of wood laid over them showing the inconsistencies. I then proceeded to add small bits of wood in the slots of those bulkheads that needed raising and filing down those which needed lowering. HERE'S MY BIG MISTAKE. I didn't see that by doing this I would change the level of the slots where the cannon metal frames were to be inserted. This caused all that subsequent problem of having to realign the cannon metal frames. What I should have done was to modify the surface where the false deck would be laid upon, not the whole bulkhead altitude. Lesson learned! Hope this is clear and help somebody else to avoid a potential problem.

Cheers

Ulises

Strip of wood showing misalignment

post-975-0-87082200-1405079016_thumb.jpg

Arrows show the direction in which the bulkhead had to be modified

post-975-0-97116300-1405079044_thumb.jpg

BIG MISTAKE.Adding those little pieces of wood, or filing down some others, changed the  overall level of the slots in the bulkheads

post-975-0-48027600-1405079057_thumb.jpg

Ulises, great tip. Hope u recover from that mistake quickly.

Thank you, linda. I hope you are getting better.

Yes I'm recovering very nicely of my mistake, but that meant a lot of extra work, that's all.

Cheers :)

Ulises

Hola Ulises

Your mistake corroborates one thing, one never stops learning new things!!

Saludos, Karl

Do not feel bad.  You are not the first nor the last to make this error.  Many years ago I made a mistake on a template   transposing ww1 with ww3 I did not catch it until after I got started in the shaping.

David B

Hola Ulises

Your mistake corroborates one thing, one never stops learning new things!!

Saludos, Karl

Gracias Karl. Indeed!!!

Do not feel bad.  You are not the first nor the last to make this error.  Many years ago I made a mistake on a template   transposing ww1 with ww3 I did not catch it until after I got started in the shaping.

David B

Thanks David. It actually feels good to realize you've learn something new. Fortunately it was not a disastrous mistake, and correcting it only took a few more hours of work... (or pleasure???  ;) )

Very nice Ulises.  I bet having that behind you makes you feel a lot better.  I think I would have gone crazy if I had to line up all those gunports :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Very nice Ulises.  I bet having that behind you makes you feel a lot better.  I think I would have gone crazy if I had to line up all those gunports :)

Thanks. Fortunately there were NOT all of them. Just a few. :)

Hello Ulises, Every page of your log you are learning and helping others,your candour is much appreciated ,Thats what MSW is all about,So thanks.Edwin.

Thanks. My best reward is seeing someone saying: "This helped me!" :)

Update July 14-14

Hello all.

I finished placing all the cannon metal frames on both sides of my ship.

Port side was done a little quicker and more accurate thanks to the lessons learned on starboard side and the use of the jig to measure the distance between the first and second rows. Things like inclination are easily fixed thanks to the flexibility of the soft metal lugs in the mounting frames.

If by chance there are any inaccuracies at the moment of planking, they will be deal with on the spot, whenever possible. So far I am happy with what I've done, although I'm sure it's very far away from perfection.

Thanks for visiting! :)

post-975-0-67824700-1405369372_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-75736900-1405369380_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-50642000-1405369388_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-14585400-1405369398_thumb.jpg

She looks real good Ulisis; coming along very nicely.  Will you be painting these red before applying the planking?

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you Banyan. I plan to put first planking, then file the frames to level with the planking and then paint red just before second planking.My guess is that this order will eliminate any chance of a bright metallic shiny spot after the second planking. Open to ideas, though. :)

Sounds like you have it well in hand mate; I'll follow along with great interest.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi

I built the Del Prado Victory awhile ago which used a similar cannon bracket. I had a lot of challenges with these so understand some of the fun you are having. To ensure that these were in line and laying flat against the frame I laid temporary planks just below the cannon brackets and used this as a guide. When doing the actual planking I planked over the whole cannon bracket and made sure that a lot of glue was spread around the outside of the bracket. Once the planking was complete I then cut the planking over the cannon bracket away exposing the metal bracket ready for painting. Do not know if this helps.

James

Thank you Pat.

James... not sure I understand your procedure, but in the case of this Mamoli kit, the frames protrude over the planking, so you lay the first plank making the ends of the planks fitting against the outer sides of the frames. When this is done, you file or sand down the frames to level with the planking. There is no chance of planking over the cannon frames.

I'm not sure if I understood your description or if you will understand mine :)

In this photo, I'm "faking" a plank held in my hand to illustrate my description.

I appreciate your comment, though! :)

post-975-0-28558600-1405374619_thumb.jpg

Ulises,

That looks to be a pretty big chunk of metal to be cut off after planking.  Is it possible to cut it down a bit to make the job later, easier?   Grinding metal generates heat and that could soften glues.  Or a slip of the file and the planking is damaged.  The ones on the upper deck where the full cannons will be don't look as oversized.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark. Remember this is a fake plank which I'm holding in my hand. The actual amount of metal to be filed will be less. Anyway this is a very soft metal. It files down very easy.

About damaging the planking, this is done after the first planking stage, so it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for your input.

That's good to hear Uiises.  I saw the pic and thought "that's a lot of work"...  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

find the mistake...

Thanks. I guess you will find plenty of that here  :D  :D  :D

Hello all.

Posting here to hear some expert's opinion on this matter.

After finishing placing the metal cannon frames, instructions say to glue now the gun carriages in the upper deck without the barrel. (Underlined in the instructions.)

And then fix the upper decks, so these cannons will be covered by the decks.

At first I didn't see why without the barrel, but then I saw that with the cannon barrels sticking out, sanding the metal frames flat to the planking is going to be more difficult, and you run the risk of hitting a cannon and pop it out of its place. I was planning to fix a small strip of wood over the carriage where the gun rests on the slots, to make sure those cannons will never be off their place.

However, gluing the barrels after the planking is done, will make it more difficult to properly glue the barrels on the carriages, leaving them in a very vulnerable state, in my opinion.

So: fix the barrels at the beginning, making the gun barrels more secure but making sanding more difficult and risky? or gluing the barrels last making them more vulnerable?

At the moment I'm inclined to the first option. (Hope this whole thread makes sense.)

Thank you all.

Ulises

I remember filing down the metal frames & finish the outer hull before mounting the gun barrels. I`m sure that with my skills I would have knocked every gun barrel out while fairing the hull. If I was to do it again I would throw away the metal frames & use a U- channel for all the dummy barrels like the Corel system. Just my opinion,however what some people find difficult others find easy. :)

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Small update July 16-14

Cleaned all the cannon metal frames joints, and painted red the upper frames where gun carriages will be installed.

Carriages are only dry fitted in these photos.

Line up of 32 deck gun carriages.My kit came short of 2 sets of wheels, so I had to improvise with a small strip of wood to raise one of them. Fortunately most of these will be under deck, so they will not be visible. Only 12 of these will be fully visible in the middle of the deck.

post-975-0-25697800-1405520241_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-25686900-1405520487_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-18556100-1405520494_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-68844100-1405520500_thumb.jpg

Thanks for visiting!

Cheers

Ulises