Royal Louis 1780 by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1/90 - French 126-gun ship

Hello Bill:

I'm glad there is another RL builder. How far are you into it?

Do you have a build log?

Happy New Year to you too.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hi Ulises. I am just about finished with the first planking. I received the kit from another modeler who had laid the keel and started work on the decking. He had also installed the gunports and some of them were a little bit askew. So two of the forward gunports on my model will have closed doors ( due to rough seas :-) ).

I did submit a few photos as a start to a build log, but I'm not much of a photographer and, frankly, the first planking does not look that good, I have some low spots that are going to need filler. I am going to try to make the first planking as good as possible to make the second planking go a little smoother.

Bill

Bill

Finished builds: Albatros by OcCre 1:100 Badger by Caldercraft

current build: Royal Louis

Well Bill... seems like we are at the same stage and with the same issues. :)

I am about to finish the first planking also, and as you, it doesn't look very pretty to me. I am awaiting to finish with the wood, the filling, the sanding of the metal frames and the general fairing of it to muster the courage to post some photos. :)

Best regards.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

• 1 month later...

OK. So... although not completely done with the first planking yet, here's an update of my RL build.

I finished with the wood placement of all the first planking on this massive hull. A lot to be done here yet: sand flush the metal frames, sanding and fairing the unevenness of the wood, lots of filler on the oops areas, etc. I also finished building and shaping the bulwarks which was very troublesome because the drawings are not too clear on this area. The bulwarks are formed by 4 layers of wood: The first is the first planking; then some vertical planks are placed on the inside. The second planking on the outside, and yet another last planking on the inside. 

The decks are completely planked also, but not yet finished.

Thanks for visiting :)

Ulises

post-975-0-69174200-1423347632_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-07839300-1423347672_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-18403500-1423347759_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-17481600-1423347784_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-21422700-1423347800_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-66852700-1423347812_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-93658200-1423347828_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-02317700-1423347839_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-19002800-1423347849_thumb.jpg

Hehe Thanks Arthur.

That table top is removed and underneath there is a green flannel flat surface with slots for your poker chips, drinking glasses and everything needed for your card or domino games!   ;)

Oh and thanks for your comment on the ship!.  :D

And a big thank you all for the likes. 

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Thank you Bill.

My very next step will be to sand down the metal frames to level with the hull, and sand smooth all the wood in the hull. I plan to sand it all and then paint the whole thing with diluted wood glue to strengthen any weak joint that might have escaped to my eye.

This Russian guy has an excellent build log of this kit. It's in Russian, but Chrome allows me to translate it to English. Imperfect, but you can get the idea of what they are talking about.

http://gallery.shipmodeling.ru/main.php?g2_itemId=76728 (Thanks to michael101 for the link)

Just happened across your build Ulises. You're doing a fine job on her and I'd like to pull up a seat for this one if you don't mind.

P.S.  Glad you found a larger area to work on her with. :)

Cheers

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you for your kind words, Edwin. It's really satisfying when someone says they are learning something from what you do.

Glakie: I thank you also for your comment, and you're more than welcome to come and see... but actually, I'm building my ship in the same closet where I started her and where I've been building since we moved to this house in yr 2000! 

Thank you for your kind words, Edwin. It's really satisfying when someone says they are learning something from what you do.

Glakie: I thank you also for your comment, and you're more than welcome to come and see... but actually, I'm building my ship in the same closet where I started her and where I've been building since we moved to this house in yr 2000! 

Thanks Ulises! Oh when I saw the big table and chairs, I thought you might have been doing some work there.  Sorry.  :rolleyes:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

I can't believe it took me more than five months to finish the first planking of my ship. This hull is HUGE!

I finished placing all the wood on the hull, leveling the metal frames to hull level, sanding and smoothing the hole thing and painting red the metal frames.

I plan to let the second planking just a bit short from the openings to achieve the effect shown in the first photo. Not sure how this will come out.  :o

Also, do you see the photo of an unpainted frame with the upper right corner slightly rounded? Well.... all 66 red frames were like that so that was something else to fix.

The hull is not perfectly even... there a re a few albeit very small bumps here and there, but that will have to do.-

Thanks for watching!

post-975-0-66212300-1425151188.jpg

post-975-0-62979000-1425151209_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-04213300-1425151246_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-40190500-1425151263_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-91890400-1425151277_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-33058100-1425151288_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-17215200-1425151299_thumb.jpg

Followed you here from your post in "latest profile pic of your build". Decided I just HAVE to see this :) Hope it's not too late to pull up a chair.

I feel your pain, having to square off 66 of those metal gunports. The realization that you have to do something tedious, and do it 66 times over and over again ... is something only a fellow modeller really understands! 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I will be following this build closely as it appears to be very similar to the Royal Sovereign, which I may be soon starting as a scratch build.  Looks like it will be quite a challenge and I think your build will be very helpful.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

And time stood still......

5 months....very quick Ulises  :D  :D  :D

You have find a good way to fit in those steal gun ports.

I like it ! ( yes, I also hit that button :)  )

Then the planking....I think you can make it smoother by using filler.

You've got to do a second planking ?( of course you have )

You still need filler for the gaps in the hull.

When you put the second planking on right now, you will see it later ( after you've done the second planking )

So be brave , use filler and sanding it smooth !

Please ????

Sjors

You are doing a fine job on this monster. As I recall I knocked down those frames with my Dremel & finished them off with a file. I also recall having to square up those rounded inside corners. Have faith - the hardest part of this build is about done.

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Thank you all for your comments, encouragement and likes. :)

Sjors: Okay okay. I will use some more filler.  ;)

Mark: I started doing the frames job with coarse sand paper on a wood block. Then I found a small file with very sharp and big teeth. Rasp I think it's called, and that made a lot of difference. Finished port side in 1 and a half sessions.

Well... you guys got me cornered. I guess more filler is the order of this next week building schedule. ;)

Jean-Pierre: I think I prefer the "find-and-mark-the-location-and-open-with-a-knife" method for doing the gun ports. Supposedly Mamoli does it that way so the frames are correctly positioned right away, but I found out this is not always the case. I had to manipulate some of them to correct position.

Look what you made me do! You know who you are!!! :D

post-975-0-36950600-1425259267_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-92352900-1425259280_thumb.jpg

There's a great product used by auto body repairmen..... called "Bondo"  I find it much superior to any other filler in the world.  Sets up quickly and can be sanded smooth as a baby's butt.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hola Ulises:

I suppose you are buying the filler by gallons!! jajaja :D  :D  :D

Saludos

Thanks for the tips. Since I'm almost done with my filler needs (yeah, right) I will use what I have and experiment new stuff later. ;)

UV I hope i'm not telling you to suck eggs or anything ... but when I use filler, I apply enough to fill the depression and then immediately use a spare plank to scrape the excess off. This wastes less filler, and makes sanding much easier later. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

There's a great product used by auto body repairmen..... called "Bondo"  I find it much superior to any other filler in the world.  Sets up quickly and can be sanded smooth as a baby's butt.

I prefer using Elmer wood filler. A little bit goes along way.  

David B