Korean turtle ship by MSzwarc - FINISHED - Young Modelers - 1:100, kitbashed

The painted mask and dragon's head look great. I like the artistic license you took with them. The flag looks very nice as well.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Mike, I have to echo John and Patrick, great job.

I have some months to go for the decision how to paint the dragon's head and mask.

Cheers,
Wim

Current build:
Creole Queen scratchbuild and Korean Turtle War Ship

Finished: King of the Mississippi, Bon Retour, Chinese Pirate Junk, Nave Egizia
Next builds:  Gundeck Vasa; Bounty (bashed)

Thanks for your comments.

More modeling madness. I decided to get the anchor out of the way since I didn't want to even think about the spikes yet. The kit anchor consists of two wooden pieces, with a thread wrapping. As I compared it to photos of anchors on turtle ship replicas, though, I could see that neither the construction, nor the shape of the flukes was the same, so I built my own anchor out of 21 pieces of wood, paper, and brass.

1363205198_239_FT6268_anchors_.jpg

1363205198_239_FT6268_anchor2.jpg

With the anchor done, only the spikes remain, so it was time to figure out how I would do them. I considered miniature nails as well as pins, but rejected both as too large and not the look I wanted. Studying photos of the spikes and armor plates on the replica in Seoul, I decided that the spikes should be 0.02" in diameter, and should protrude 2mm from the tile. I decided to make them out of 0.02" dia. brass rod, 4mm long as follows:
1363205198_239_FT6268_spikes.jpg

1) cut rod to 8mm lengths-- easier to handle in The Dremel than 4mm
2) point both ends of rod in Dremel rotary tool
3) cut 8mm rods in half
4) blacken using Blacken-It

Finally, 0.018" dia holes are drilled in the center of the armor tiles, and the spikes are press fit by pushing in with a piece of plastic rod drilled 2mm deep with a 0.025" dia hole. This tool ensures that all the spikes protrude only 2mm from the tile. On the test section I made up, no glue was necessary for a good, tight fit.
1363205198_239_FT6268_test.jpg

The process works, and results in the desired appearance, but producing the approximately 500 needed spikes will be tedious and time consuming, so I'd best get on with it.

Mike

In progress: nothing
Completed:
Midwest Chesapeake Bay flattie
scratchbuilt Grand Banks dory

Young Modeler 1:100 turtle ship

This was the morning when father, mending one hole in the thermos-flask, made three

--Dylan Thomas

you are doing some excelent changes to the kit

i always love all these specialy made tools and jigs that are invented to make the model come together

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Mike, well done. You made it a scratch built of it by those lovely amendments.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

To break up the tedium of making the spikes, I decided to begin installing those I have finished. The installation goes quickly compared to fabricating the spikes. I started at midship so I could define the unspiked pathways around the hatches. I've got not quite 2/3 of the spikes made now, and about 1/3 of the spikes installed.

1363452722_239_FT6268_spikes_installed_2

Mike

Completed:

This was the morning when father, mending one hole in the thermos-flask, made three

--Dylan Thomas

Mike,

Hats off to you. Those spikes look really great. You must have a rather large fountain of patience.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Mike,

Great job on the spikes. The result looks very realistic.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

This is looking really nice! Your build is inspiring to say the least.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Impressive is not a good enough word to describe the work you have done.  This shows no matter the subject and or scale, any kit has the ability to be modeled to a high standard of detail and scale.  I also model in card as well and I never have really thought to do as you have using this medium as part of the process, I have used a strip here and there for bindings, but never as you have.  Master piece is the word I am looking for.  I look forward to more of this most informative thread of a vessel I have never heard of.  Thanks for sharing this,

Rick

Wherever I am at...........there I am

KARTONIST in the making.......... B)

Thanks for the comments, everyone, and thanks for taking a look at the build log. The turtle ship is now finished, and I've posted pics in the completed model gallery.

1363810284_239_FT6268_completed.jpg

Edited by MSzwarc

Mike

Completed:

--Dylan Thomas

Mike, have taken a look at your turtle ship in the completed model gallery - it is fantastic, a valuable asset in your collection.

Congratulations,

John

:champagne:

<br />

<br />

Mike, you've made an impressive model, congratulations with the result.

Very nice pics in the gallery.

I hope I can build mine at the same level.

Cheers,
Wim

Current build:
Creole Queen scratchbuild and Korean Turtle War Ship

Finished: King of the Mississippi, Bon Retour, Chinese Pirate Junk, Nave Egizia
Next builds:  Gundeck Vasa; Bounty (bashed)

Looks amazing - must add to wishlist - congrats on the great finish

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Congratulations Mike on an outstanding build of a unique and interesting subject.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very excited to see this build. I have seen a kit similar to this but in a larger scale, 1/65 I believe, and had been very tempted to purchase. I have seen a documentary on this (The Discovery Channel I believe). I will be watching this very closely as I have always been interested in the nautical history of South East Asia. So far it is a beauty.

Hi.
A very nice model. Quality workmanship.
Quote from post No #5  "I've installed the oars and cannons, which need to be in place before the roof gets planked over. Unfortunately, the oars will make handling the model for the remaining work a lot trickier."
I have dome something similar to this and used very small magnets in the hull and metal pins inside the oars to hold in place when ready.
I spent many years in Korea. I loved the place :)

Regards Antony.

Edited by AntonyUK

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 4 years later...

an impressively incredible build. The job you have done with the hexagonal tiles and the dragon's head have been outstanding!

There is a model of a Turtle ship in the Ventura CA Museum

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line