Rope edging on sails

In real life this is sewn on. However, i doubt if you'd want to go to the trouble on a model sail. The bolt rope can be carefully glued along the perimeter of the sail using white glue. This will dry clear. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Or, you can use fabric glue.  Both seem to work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On the other hand, if you like to sew, here is what I did which turned out nice. A simple round stitch along the edges of the sail holds the bolt rope in place. Very theraputic...

post-2494-0-06593600-1397700640_thumb.jpg

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

I did the same as Peter on my Mayflower, but I used a small amount of fabric glue to attach the "rope" first and hold it in place while I stitched.

post-167-0-20764400-1397701208_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Could someone tell me the best way to place rope edging around the edge of sails. I really have know idea on how that is achieved as the plans of the Amati Arrow call for this edging. Thanks

Hi jiljilia,

here is a Version which is complete machine-sewn, also the bolt rope to the edge..

I boroughed my wife`s sewing machine

Nils

post-3445-0-97723900-1397725252_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-37814800-1397725206_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-89727700-1397725208_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

This is my way for sailmaking:

http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=427

Tadeusz

My models:
From kits
Vasa, HMS Victory, Le Solei Royale, Friesland
From scratch
HMS Warrior 1860,
Esplanade,
Grosse Yacht
Norman’s ship,
HMS Speedy,
La Royale
Peter von Danzig
Polacca XVII cent.

Current project:
SS Savannah 1818

nice sail making Tadeusz43,

thanks for sharing..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I would caution that actual sail twine used to sew on a bolt rope is not nearly as thick as even the finest of sewing threads would appear in scale. Modern sail twine is just a bit thicker than dental floss and although I imagine it was considerably thicker "in the old days" before nylon, it could not be sewn through any fabric if it was as thick as even the thinest rope.

Having said that, I do like the way an actual sewn seam or line of stitching puckers the fabric a little, it tend to impart a texture to the fabric that adds to the organic look of a sail, even if these puckers themselves are out of scale.

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

Does anyone apply any product like Scotch Guard to their sails before attaching them to their model, to protect them from airborne dust.and also making them easier to clean.

jud

Edited by jud

Tadeusz43 I like the step by step on the sails as the rope edging is exposed and that's how I have to do my sails. Thanks.

Petervisser... the therapeutic lessons are coming I'm sure and sometimes my patience does were thin and sewing a thread  around a rope will, I'm sure increase patience.

Sherry, thank you for your ideas for gluing as I did go out and buy myself a tube of speed-sew.

Mirabell61... I copied your plans for my files as there are ideas that I like in what you do with sails.

Thanks to everyone as the time to do my sails is drawing nigh.

• 3 years later...

Gluing the boltrope onto the sail COMPLETELY AVOIDS out of scale thread and out of scale stitching. I honestly can't think of any good reason to sew the boltrope onto a model sail other than if one is slavishly sticking to real world practice out of a sense of litteral interpretation. But even then the sailtwine passes through not around the boltrope.

33544818350_9d37d1b698_o.jpg

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution