NMBROOK

UK Timber Suppliers

NMBROOK   

I would just like to give a 'heads up' to anyone in the UK looking for quality timber.I had a nice chat with a fellow that runs a company based in Norfolk.He supplies various timbers for modelers,but does not supply box or Ebony.I have ordered some Pear from him for one of my current builds.Finding Pear in the UK is awkward when you don't possess a sawmill to reduce planks down to modelling sizes.He keeps a quantity on stock,but tells me larger orders will be delayed a little as this will necessitate cutting to order.Everything is thickness sanded not just saw cut.I did discuss with him the possibility of supplying a 'timbering package' in the future as I do have HMS Sussex to build,fully framed.The frames work out at 9/32 inch thick and he does say for a large order custom cutting and thickness sanding is not a problem.I have no connection to the company,i just want to pass on the details as he comes across as being a 'breath of fresh air' for modelers in the UK wanting more exotic timbers,mainly Pear.He doesn't have a fancy 'add to cart' website preferring to take card details by phone.Here is the link which lists the 'stock' sizes of what he offers.

http://www.twigfolly.com/

Kind Regards

Nigel

tkay11, mij, Lizzy Borden and 6 others like this

NMBROOK   

Thanks everyone.I will run the verniers over what I receive and report back to confirm everything is as specified ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

mij and mikeaidanh like this

NMBROOK   

I just thought I would follow up my original post as my timber arrived today :)  :) I am pleased the quality as all sides are thickness sanded and checking with the verniers revealed a tolerance of +0.1,-0mm so for what I want,I can't grumble at that.

Kind Regards

Nigel

tkay11 and mij like this

That is good news Nigel. I will buy from them in the near future. Thank you for undertaking the guinea pig role.

Mike. 

NMBROOK   

No problem,my pleasure Mike,I had to find another supplier of Pear as I have exhausted the stock at my regular supplier :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have bought Boxwood cut to my size from:Original Marquetry Lt:www.originalmarquetry.co.uk :Phone 01179442640

Also try Exotic woodshop (hardwoods u-k) e-mail:exotichardwoods@aol.com: Phone:01298815338: European Boxwood

Regards Janet B                        

NMBROOK likes this

mij   

Two weeks ago, I was looking for a company in the UK who could supply me with a length of Boxwood, and I found a company in Kent called Timberline,

01732 355626.

I spoke to a guy called Alan who was very helpful, he supplied me with a straigth piece of Castello Boxwood 1200 x 100 x 52 mm for £60 with delivery and it came the next day.

I have no connection to the company.

mij

NMBROOK likes this

Matrim   

If you are looking for exotic than turning suppliers can often offer very rare wood types in sizes modelling saws can handle as well.

NMBROOK likes this

Kevin   

I would love to add to the uk listing  a wood yard I was pointed towards- it is a self service yard with lots of different woods in various thicknesses and length and bowl blanks

they also do a service of milling to order

http://www.yandles.co.uk/

Edited by Kevin
WackoWolf likes this

Ian B   

wow, thanks everyone I am sure I can get what I need from all your help :)

I will let you know how I get on

Ian

RoB Shaw   

For anyone wanting to purchase steamed swiss pear try sales@skyestimber.co.uk a uk based mill and exotic wood stockists. They stock waney edge pear boards in various thicknesses, widths and lengths.

Rob

tkay11 likes this

JRB9019   

Rob,

I'm impressed. With all that wood you have there, that's some serious modelling you must have planned!!!

post-2632-0-09782100-1448036988_thumb.jpg

mtaylor likes this

RoB Shaw   

JRB Is that a picture of the timber stock at Skye's timber? I will purchase from them pear for framing but they also stock a variety of woods for scratch building, thought it a useful link for uk stockists.

Rob.

mtaylor likes this

JRB9019   

Rob - yes it's Sykes, and that's just the hardwood section. They have another huge area for softwoods!!

John

mtaylor likes this

For those of you looking for wood in the North Yorkshire area, I have just "discovered" a very good supplier 2 minutes off the A1(M) between Thirsk and Ripon.  My local supplier was John Boddys at Boroughbridge, but they have ceased trading; so looking around, I found Duffield Timber at Melmerby.  I went there this morning and picked up exactly what I wanted from their off-cuts selection.  They even threw in a decently sized free sample of an African hardwood resembling Boxwood, for me to experiment with.  Prices seemed very reasonable.  Telephone number is 01765 640564 and Postcode is HG4 5JB.

Geoff

Canute, mtaylor and Kevin like this

I was looking for a supplier of cherry for my next project and came across a company called Surrey Timbers Ltd. As they are based not too far away from me, just a 40 minute drive, and in need of an excuse to escape from the house, I decided to visit them at their premises in a small industrial unit in the grounds of Loseley Park just south of Guildford. Really glad I did! They have a fantastic range of exotic timber as well as the cherry and maple I was after. Timber heaven! I have never seen such large pieces of fabulous wood. An upstairs area is devoted to smaller planed pieces and they also do a range of wood turning blanks. A small family run business, these guys really know their timbers. Their web shop is well worth looking although it only gives small insight into what they have in stock. 

Telephone: 01483 457826

Cheers,

Graham.

mtaylor, tkay11 and pompey2 like this

johnrs   
Posted (edited)

I've used sycamore which is a member of the maple family and is relatively cheap for a cubic ft if you can cut and plane it yourself and widely available ,

If it's not been fully seasoned cut it to the lengths you want then stand the cut lengths on end not flat the timber will finish whiter in colour that way 

Edited by johnrs
mtaylor and Canute like this