NMBROOK

UK Timber Suppliers

Hi Everyone;

I posted on this subject somewhere else,  but I can't find it now.

Roger's remark above is similar to my own experience: I spoke about boxwood with the forester on a large estate near where I live.  They have, as Roger says, a lot of box for ornamental or boundary trees.  The forester was extremely helpful,  and let me wander around marking various branches or trees. He then lopped or felled them for me,  sliced off the smaller branches,  and let me take them away for sawing and seasoning.  For this service he charged me £33 per 100kg (220lbs)

Even if you need to get a friendly sawyer to do the initial re-sawing for a few pounds it's still a very economical way of acquiring some first-class timber.

All the best,

Mark P

Here in the States, one could only dream of having boxwood growing locally and at a very reasonable price it would appear.

Morning Mark;

It would seem, sadly, that you need an aristocracy, or well-established plutocracy;  and that is a whole different subject matter.

All the best,

Mark P

Posted (edited)

Here's the results, boys and girls.  Here's what $90 will buy you in boxwood. Soda can for scale.

YoxRenx.jpg

That doesn't include VAT because it was exported, and they made sure to remove all the bark for importation into the US.  I am probably going to have to order at least another $150-200 worth to do one large ship.  They did ship very quick though; five days from order to reception from England to Washington State.  

Edited by rtwpsom2

On 19/07/2018 at 9:17 PM, rtwpsom2 said:

I'm in the US and was looking for boxwood but no one has it over here, so I've been looking for UK suppliers.  I found Workshop Heaven and I just ordered 5 pieces about 8-10 inches long and and inch and a half square (roughly) for about £67 with shipping. It seems awfully expensive but I couldn't find it anyplace in anything but Syren's milled sizes (which I'll probably get a few of too once I have a better idea of what I'll need). At least it is true buxus boxwood and not castello.  I might have to start growing some boxwood shrubs around the property so I have some supply in the future.

I can vouch for the quality of the boxwood supplied by Workshop Heaven. I bought a small billet some time ago (cost £8.90 incl. p&p) and it's the real deal - genuine close-grained boxwood. I've found that a small amount goes a long way, although to be fair I tend to use it for small fittings rather than for larger stuff such as spars and frames. I've still got some of the billet left:

Boxwood.thumb.JPG.fd64aebd7cf6047daa2b4457ae8ed0b4.JPG

It's probably worth reminding folk that antique boxwood rules still appear regularly on ebay for as little as £3 to £4 including postage. I've bought several over the years, finding them great for blocks. This cost just £4:

Ruler.thumb.jpg.9a46480ae22c2884e2639da81ea19b64.jpg

It's surprising how many blocks you can get from a 2' folding rule.

Derek

Evening Gentlemen;

Another good source in the UK,  and perhaps in the US also,  is wood-turning supplies.  They normally sell complete billets (sections of branches around 12" long and 3-4" in diameter,  at a very reasonable price,  if you can collect.

All the best,

Mark P

Just a note to say that yesterday I received some wood that I ordered from Timberline in Kent.  I ordered some pear and boxwood and the quality is really nice.  It should be very easy to mill as it came straight and sanded and the grain and colours are lovely.