Santa Maria 1492 by Dominic - Artesania Latina - 1:65 Scale

I think the point has been made quite enough. The comments have obviously been taken on board. Further comments along the same lines are neither helpful or constructive. Give the guy a break and get on with some modelling.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Like I said, a teaching moment!    :cheers:  Congratulations, your response shows maturity and well done for putting your head above the parapet. That I believe sincerely, is the purpose of the build logs.

A final note, the Santa Maria was my second build so about where you are now.  As you can see from the pic, I chiseled off the planking, a bit of a pain but it came off without too much damage to the first planking. Sanded the last little bits.

Of course, you do realise that we'll all be watching your progress on the Jolly Boat with interest.     :huh:

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

I must add my comment as it was one of the first...  Dominic, youare RIGHT - the camera doesn't help. When I'm pleased with my result, I take a photo and when I see the photo, I'd like to eat it... (it reveals all the imperfectnesses - a tough word). Cheer upmate, keep going :)

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

• 2 weeks later...

I've continued work on the Santa Maria this last week. Finished the second planking and trimmed out the gun ports. Sanded the entire hull with gradually finer grades of sandpaper and finally applied two coats of varnish. I don't think my unorthodox planking turned out too bad.

Next I've started fitting out the decks, starting with the hatch combing and poopdeck edging. I decided to use some spare veneer to edge the poopdeck before adding the rubbing strakes.

092.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

------------------------------------

Regards,

Dominic

Current Build: HMAV Bounty by Caldercraft 1:64

That looks very good, excellent finish on the hull and neat outlining of the poop deck and half-deck hatch.Sometimes it just looks better when you mitre the corners so that's something to think about in the future. Otherwise, well done, the lower planking is almost invisible and would disappear completely if you tarred or tallowed below the waterline.

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Thank you. For this build I am sticking to the instructions, no mitring strangely enough...

As for tarring or tallowed...really? It is a model after all. Sorry I just feel that there is a limit when it comes to accuracy...the way some of you guys talk you may as well just build the real thing :huh:

Regards,

Dominic

You are doing brilliantly Dom!! Don't worry to much about the critics, I am sure they get it wrong too sometimes. Yours looks great and you should be very pleased with you efforts!

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi Dominic

I think your planking looks great.It is super neat.If you are happy with it and you didn't set out to create a build that is historically accurate,more something that is a display piece,then good on you,it is your model.

I understand other members wanting to 'push' you in the right direction,but I think this hobby is a bit like stopping smoking,i.e. you will do it when YOU want to.

Please don't think of this as an elitist forum,because it isn't.As you know there are a great many builds on here by modelers of varied experience.Sometimes posts may come across not as intended.I left the modelspace forum because I kept getting PM's asking for advice including links to other members work allegedly showing how not to do it,this is not nice.I have been doing this longer than most members but not as long as some,I will offer help in spades to anyone that wants it,but never criticize.I don't think any of these posts are quite in the same league.

I am certainly not wanting to fuel any arguments as model building is meant to be relaxing. :)  :)  :)

Nat is correct in what he says in that there isn't the help and experience when YOU wish to take your model building to the next level,on the other forum.You will no doubt reach a stage when you want to stretch your ability further as things do become routine,that is the only reason I push myself in terms of what I want to achieve.In the meantime enjoy what you are doing.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Oh and Mark,we will have to agree to disagree,but 99.9% of hatch combing joints were 90 degree half lapped not mitred :D

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Great work, Dom. She's coming along beautifully. 

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Last night I was rubbing down the rubbing strakes, (see what I did there?), as I wasn't happy with the gap that had formed between the outer strakes and the veneer that I added. So after rubbing the stain off I ran a tiny bead of cyano gel into the gap and sanded lightly with a coarse paper allowing the dust to settle into the groove. Then smoothed over with a fine grade and re-stained. Looks much better in my opinion.

105.jpg

106.jpg

Next up I started on the main deck waterways. The fore waterway had to be bevelled on the inside to sit flush on the deck/fore wall. The port/star waterways needed some shaping first. There was enough flex in the wood latitudinally to allow it to fit but I decided to soak/clamp and allow to dry to shape first. Then sanded, stained and fitted in place.

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

Currently I am working on adding the timberheads:

114.jpg

More later.

Regards,

Dominic

I've fitted the knees for the 1/4 deck and it's fascia. I am now working on the external rubbing strakes. Starting with the main deck strake I soaked and clamped the strips so that they dry to the correct shape then stained and fitted them, fitting the two upper strakes following that. These ones didn't require pre-shaping first so was stain/dry/fit.

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

Regards,

Dominic

• 1 month later...

I'll try tat one again. I have just found your log. I have inherited a partially built Santa Maria. All the bulkheads have ben fitted along with the main deck. The problem is, the whole is twisted out of shape. I am trying to figure out a way to straiten it without having to pull it all apart.

Hiya, forgive the lateness in my reply.

I don't think there is a way to straighten without taking apart, if is at that point. And depending on what was used as adhesive may dictate on how you can take it apart. If it was just ordinary PVA, the easiest way is to soak in hot water for a few minutes and it should come apart quite easily. Be sure though the keep the parts flat whilst they dry as you could end up with a worse problem than when you started.

Forgive if you already know all this, it can be hard to gauge a persons experience unless you already know.

Good luck.

Regards,

Dominic

Thanks for that. I had hoped to not pull it all apart, but it does seem to be the only way to fix it properly. It looks like they have used PVA glue, so hopefully I can pull it apart easily.

Dave.

• 5 years later...