Phantom 1868 by lcopley98 - Model Shipways - First Build

Hello shipbuilders, 

After only a few days of biting my nails, my Phantom kit finally came in via USPS. It arrive much faster than I thought it would. My confirmation email told me that it would be shipped via FedEx Ground and that it would take 5-7 business days. It only took USPS a couple days, so I was pleased. Upon opening the shipping box, I was greeted by a very nice looking Blue Box!

28219ah.jpg

Opening the box overwhelmed me. The plans seem so detailed, but this is only a beginner design. I thought, "What have I gotten myself into?" Haha! I double checked to see if all the parts were there. I must be honest and say that this took awhile. I have no idea what some of the parts listed are. So, I'll say that I think everything is there! But, if I end up missing something, I am sure it will be no problem to replace later on down the road. 

I examined my hull and found that it seems a little crooked in some spots. Especially the rear of the hull. 

294jerc.jpg

zx3yvr.jpg

Do I just sand this down to make it look as even to the naked eye?

Well, I began trying to fit the two hull templates together. Reading Chuck's practicum, I found that I need to shave a little bit off the back end. (I think that is the stern?) However, I found it very difficult to remove the wood with my Hobby knife and #11 blades. You can see how I tried to take a little bit off and sand it down. I think that I will buy a carving tool tomorrow to make this a little easier. That is, unless someone else has a better method. So the back of the hull I left a lone for the evening with hopes that I would find an easier method to trim some of that excess wood off. 

Onto the front of the hull, I also ran into some problems. I've read the other build logs and everyone seems to bypass this step pretty easily. I was't kidding around when I said I was a beginning. I have two photos and was hoping someone could give me a little advice on how the front template should fit. 

2j9wef.jpg

In the picture above, the 'R' matches with the edge of the boat (These are called rabbet lines, I think). Am I correct in living that line up with the edge? If this is the case, you can see the gap that remains toward the middle of the hull. I have tried a couple different things with sand paper, but I can't quite seem to get that to lower any. Where should I sand to make this fit better? Or....

25aoztk.jpg

I matched the template up toward the center of the hull. You can see that this way there is a small gap in the curve of the hull and the R line does not quite match up to the edge. My gut tells me that the first image is right, I am just not sanding in the correct spot to make the template match up. 

Problems problems! And this is only the beginning. Any help is welcome!

Guest Tim I.

Welcome to MSW! 

Model Shipways always provides excellent kits, with a lot of detail. Since you are building with Chuck's practicum you should be in pretty good shape. 

I look forward to seeing how your Phantom shapes up!

- Tim

Hello. I remember one if my first trials at wooden ship building was a solid hull one.A friend told me to lay the template on the hull and draw a mark with a pencil on the hull on the spots that I saw the template touching the hull. Sand until the line disappears and repeat. Long process but I think this is the most accurate. In all honesty, I have to say I have never built a solid hull kit, but this was what my "teacher" instructed me to do.

Hope this helps.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

G'day mate (you got a name?),

If you're having trouble getting enough wood off with sandpaper I have two suggestions :

1. Use a fairly heavy grit paper to take off the bulk - 60 or 80 grit. Then use gradually finer grades (150 and 240) to finish the hull, ending with about 400 grit.

2. Use a cork block to which you can Contact Cement the 60 or 80 grit paper. This will give you a lot more pressure than you can apply with your fingers alone, and will make a flatter hull without dips. Use a 2nd cork block filed into a half-round for the concave areas around the stern. To replace the paper, heat it with a hair dryer set on MAX or better yet a heat gun - the paper will peel off the block easily.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

• 2 weeks later...

I have not built the Phantom but my first ship model was a solid hull also and you have made a good choice. I would wager Dan is right and you may be using too fine a grit of sand paper at this stage. Also remember to just relax, its not like we are building the Space Shuttle here. The wonderful thing about wood and a painted hull all mistake can be fixed or covered up :) You will make mistakes we all do a lot of this hobby is identifying problems and coming up with solutions so dont worry you will do fine. When a mistake happens you fix it and move on but so far you are doing fine.

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

• The title was changed to Phantom 1868 by lcopley98 - Model Shipways - First Build