Prins Willem by amateur - Corel - 1:100

No lanterns totday, but plain rope.

I tried to belay some of the lines. Its maddening work: you cant reach the belaying points down the main mast (down teh fore are no belaying points: all lines vanish into the deck). I fear for my ratlines: the ends are coming loose as I get stuck in the shrouds with my fingers or rigginghooks and other helpfull tools.

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

Mizzen mast: braces of the main topgallant (I did not keep my camera properly upright, no worries, the mast is still the correct way up :) )
IMG_1127.JPG
Not very clear picture, but the braces of the cro-jack,attached to the main shrouds, and belayed down the main mast. 
IMG_1128.JPG
As my rigging here does quite deviate the Corel-stuff, I was a bit anxious that the braces woud interfere with the backstays, but they are running nice and with sufficient clearance.

I'm now puzzling on the braces, sheets and clewlines(?) of the fore and main sail, Corel, Ketting, the original model all show something different, and none of them following the book...... to be continued :)

Jan

Hoi Jan, the rigging sure looks daunting and you are puzzled????  What am I going to be/do - - - tear my hair out?   ;)  :)

It'll all fall in place, of that I'm sure.  It's really looking very good.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Jan

I am slowly working on the Prins Willem.

I have completed some of the standing rigging.

I do not know all the correct nautical terms so I have attached one of you pictures with

an area circled.

Do you have any tips or tricks for completing this part of the rigging? I have tried a few

different methods to complete this and I was not happy with the individual line tension.

The line I am using always seems like it should be more flexible.

JMS

IMG_1061.JPG

It was one of the difficult parts: the blocks are not heany enough to get the line sag naturally. I did not use the corel-thread, but something else (I think it was Amati), and far thinner than the Corel-line. 

I started from the bowsprit, next the running part to which the spider blocks are attached (without tying that one off to the stay). Next the 'spider part' working inside out, using clove-hitches to tie them to the stay.

next I have attached a small weight (paper clip) to the spider blocks, and have been tweaking endlessly with the running part to get thetension right. As soon as it looked okay, I have more or less fixed the whole thing, by brushing it with a diluted white glue. 

It took me at least four or five tries to get the thing more or less good, without overtensioning it, and having the stay pulled outward. And yes, I have been rerigging the stay-block to get more tension onthe stay... Both blocks are almost touchi g now, as Ineeded quite a lot of tension in the stay to have the whole looking OK. Problem was also that my spritmast tended to go backward, as I tensioned the lines. Delicate balance indeed.

Jan

• 2 months later...

Now, where was I?

PW is still on the table, but since we decided to sell our previous home, no work was done. So, it was like this, and still is, gathering dust on the table.

IMG_0471.thumb.JPG.053f448175e3199010ac2e0c59960a14.JPG

I would like to do some work on him this week, but there are so many orher things to do: garden, house-things, work :(

Jan

And my first problem showed up:

Corel does not have proper belaying points for all ropes around the fore mast.

in stead you have to glue the rope into a hole in the deck.

So, when the rope does need retensioning, there is no way of doing that without destroying what is there.....

I cut the rope from the hole, but was left with too little lenght to reattach it.

I glued a new rope into the deck, and will try (wish me luck) to hide the fact that there are two ropes in the first block it will go through.....

IMG_0483.jpg.208d5998dc13592d7438620b82b21d31.jpg

And forgive me the quality of the pic: done with an Ipad, with no flash. I promise better pics will follow (don't aks me when :) )

Jan

To please @cog, here are some better quality pics (Canon 400D, Tamron-macro-lense, tripod: this is the best I can deliver :))

The first is the focsle, after some tydying up, and finishing off ropes. The problem is: as the deck shouldn't be there, the belying pins are much to low, so there is no way of forming neat rope coils: they should almost all be put down on the deck.

IMG_3235.thumb.JPG.561b9d15a3790a2d65082f16ea02933e.JPG

The second one is an oldie: nothing changed here:

IMG_3237.thumb.JPG.83f041bb1eab53ffeb37743371b416c7.JPG

Here is the line that was cut of in the block. Good enough for me :)

IMG_3238.thumb.JPG.aa1e5e659470bb2c405af2ecc6f26e69.JPG

And here the top:

IMG_3239.thumb.JPG.caae5d72daac6e99252c40990fb771ef.JPG

And here the work still to do:

Main mast, and mizzen, both rigged, but not finished.....

IMG_3241.thumb.JPG.87fdd89a9c3d02bbe48196f0f2ebec59.JPG

IMG_3243.thumb.JPG.94833cbae701776e0a8087f5722e1dd1.JPG

But tomorrow my summer holidays are over, and work kicks in.....

And yes: all the fuzz you see is dust. After 15 years, she is getting a bit dusty :)

Jan

Edited by amateur

18 hours ago, amateur said:

I wasm't so much wondering as to whether the question would be asked, but more who would ask it

Always willing to comply with your wishes Jan. I'm just sorry you can't find the time to keep her spick and span (same expression in English, funny isn't it Jan) now I understand the reluctance  to take sharp images and you keep them blurry ;)

It's a pitty life kicks in so frequently ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 3 months later...

Jan

It is very helpful following your build as I am working on the same kit.

I just got to some of the running rigging and was confused on where to terminate many lines around the base of the fore mast. I thought I left somthing out an reviewed the plans many times with no luck. Then I consulted your build.

Thanks so much.

BR

JMS

• 1 month later...

As some family members did claim the table in theliving, I turned to this lady yesterday.

I managed to finish all the rigging of the fore, and almost all of the main mat. The clutter of loose ends around the mastfoot is gone, and replaced by some (not soneat looking) rope coils. As soon as prperdaylight returns, I will get you some pics. In the meantime, I turn my ate tion to the mizzenmast.

Deviatng from the Coreldrawings was fun, but in the end, I think there is not much added value of that. Increasing the number of sizes of the rigging lines did pay of: 

Corel used three line sizes, I used 9 different sizes. I should have made a prper administration of what I used where, because remebering over a ten year period didn't quite work: there are some minor inconsistencies.

Pics will follow. :)

Jan

45 minutes ago, amateur said:

Deviatng from the Coreldrawings was fun, but in the end, I think there is not much added value of that. Increasing the number of sizes of the rigging lines did pay of: 

Corel used three line sizes, I used 9 different sizes. I should have made a prper administration of what I used where, because remebering over a ten year period didn't quite work: there are some minor inconsistencies.

We all get older Jan ... I don't need 10 years to forget such details...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

As daylight didn't quite return, I took some pics with a flash.

Flash and close-up results in suboptimal pics, I know...... 

I am a bit struggling with the Amati-line: it was sold as 'pure natural', but white glue doesn't have much of an effect on it: when the glue sets, it holds the rope-coils together, but as soon as I apply some white glue to it to fix it onto the deck, the line becomes springy again, and goes all over the place. Difficult to get naural coils in that way: I need to harden the glue completely around the dowel, resulting in coils that are completely circular on the inside, and a bit too high.

The hanging coiols are formed in the way Edt showed them with Yound America: again: the rop wants to go in every direction, So I need the coils completely glued down. The Corel stuff (although looking a bit polyester-like (glossy), does handle quite a lot better in forming the ropes and gluing them down.

Two pics of the Focsle:

IMG_3623.thumb.JPG.5bfcc2625680643d851fa2498c0d1fe8.JPGIMG_3621.thumb.JPG.2dd01353a614877c865e500898196b96.JPG

The space around the main mast: (yes, there lies a drill-bit, to hold the rope down to its place while the glue sets....)

IMG_3619.thumb.JPG.5354910a264e73ae05df96d20a864f4c.JPG

IMG_3620.thumb.JPG.5e598c5d3609e1cd6cae88b2481d7a74.JPG

IMG_3624.thumb.JPG.d1cedf8437938e2e584f7abf7406b703.JPG

And one of the foot of the mizzen:

IMG_3622.thumb.JPG.92cab5809972729fbe584b1e1c8aac04.JPG

Perhaps I can do some more today, but without sunlight in my working space, and with rope that doesn't want to do what I want it to do, it is slow going.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Actually, the space is still rather large: I can reach all places with my hands, tweezers are needed to belay the lines, but still, I had expected worse. 

It is mainly because she has no sails: therefore the number of lines is reasonably limited: no bowlines, no buntlines. That is quite a number of lines (and very tiny blocks) less :) 

Jan

Nice work Jan.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I need to clean my desk, and to make some pics, but today the unthinkable has happened: I tied the last knot on my rigging.

Now, I need to make some sawdust for the remaining stuff:

I still need:

- guns

- gunport lids (including hinges, rings and ropes)

- lanterns

- anchors

- anchorrope

- anchor buoys

- flags

Not on the home stretch by far.... :)

Jan

Edited by amateur

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I made some sawdust today. I fitted gunportlids on one side of the ship (two sides to go :) ). Next the second layer on the inside will be done, two rings (inside and out, and some paper hinges. 

I made a mistake some years ago, by following Kettings: he shows none-square gunports, implying that it is a bit difficult to get the gunports nicely fitted to the hull, without pointing in all directions.. (but leaving them all closed is not an option)

IMG_0692.jpg.b2465962cc8f19555af0e7b00734e37f.jpg

so far for today.

Jan

I wrote 'closed gunports are not an option', but the admiral was of a different opinion.

her arguments:

-no sails, minimal riggi g, ship is clearly in harbour. Why would you run out all your guns?

- you left off all the smaller guns on the upper decks, why would you include the guns in the main deck?

- If it isdifficult to attach the lids neatly, why show them open?

After thinking it over, Itend to choose the admirals side: also the original model in the Rijks does show her with ports closed.

decisions, decisions........

Jan

I asked on an other forum (a very interesting German one), what they thought of open vs closed. The odds were very much in facvour of 'closed'. Therefore (also given my own hesitations, and the clear preference of the admiral), I decided for closed.

That made it more important to have the lids at a snug fit. So I wnet over them again this morning.

Starboard done: I fitted all lids using Tamyia tape to their gunport, to prevent mix-up.

IMG_4076.JPG.c895139a9784649e624d14430f40eea9.JPG

Next comes the hinges. GIven the size of the hinges on contemporay models, I decided that the Corel provided ones are not a serious option: too wide, too thick, and most of all: horrible bolts.

Hope you agree with me :)

IMG_4077.JPG.a43b3548f2104e695fd68204e61ec8a3.JPGIMG_4026_detail.JPG.f51d9d13e1e4eb3545ba82b2bd33e111.JPGIMG_7608_detail.JPG.d6d5600fb52a1c9f473d00a6a6ab63dc.JPG

So today will be: cutting small strips, painting them black, and adding them to tine squares of wood. I guess the carpetmonster will be lurking :)

Edited by amateur

Keep at it!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me