Draftsight Question

I have been using AutoCAD at work for years but needed something for my modeling at home so I got a copy of Draftsight. I have to say that I love the program. It is very much like AutoCAD and pretty easy for me to figure out.

I am at a loss on one thing though. When I first loaded the program I was able to select several items such as erasing more than 1 object at a time. Now when I select a second object the first one is un-selected. The same goes for trimming. I can't trim a circle tangent between 2 lines. Also when I try to draw a curve it only lets me select 3 points.

I'm pretty sure I messed something up in the settings but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Al D.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I have the free download version at home and I am convinced if you want it to function properly you need to purchase the full version.

It also seems to crap out at the most inconvenient times.

Text will work per my settings when it wants to.

Dimensions likewise.

But it is free and I am only getting older .... I find myself slowing down so doing things twice all of a sudden seems to be the new natural thing to do

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Al D,

To select more than one line, when trimming, erasing, etc hold down the shift key while selecting.  For the curve there is the arc, which is drawn with three points, and there is also the spline that uses many points.  I've been useing the free version of DraftSight for a couple of years now.  I don't know it all but I'm willing to share.  Hope this helps.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Al D,

To select more than one line, when trimming, erasing, etc hold down the shift key while selecting.  For the curve there is the arc, which is drawn with three points, and there is also the spline that uses many points.  I've been useing the free version of DraftSight for a couple of years now.  I don't know it all but I'm willing to share.  Hope this helps.

Bob

Bob,

I don't know why I didn't try the shift key. Maybe because It was midnight after a long day. :( I bought the boxed program for less than $40 and it works fantastic. For what I need it's as good as AutoCAD. Now I need to get a big screen for my tired eyes. :D

For my first project with it I am laying out a Constitution 2 deck battle station section with 2 long guns on the main deck and 1 carronade on the spar deck. It will use the gun kits from Model Expo.

Thank you for your help.

Al

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

• 2 weeks later...

I have the free download version at home and I am convinced if you want it to function properly you need to purchase the full version.

It also seems to crap out at the most inconvenient times.

Text will work per my settings when it wants to.

Dimensions likewise.

But it is free and I am only getting older .... I find myself slowing down so doing things twice all of a sudden seems to be the new natural thing to do

I recently upgrade from WinXP to Win7. I then downloaded the most current free version of Draftsight and my cursor was so sluggish, I gave up on the program. I have all the latest video drivers for my video card and monitor; I'm running dual core and 4gb ram. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong.

My copy of SW2004 run just fine on Win7, I was concerned that it wouldn't and Sketchup is working quite well too. Draftsight isn't though. :(

Current project: Retired

www.howefamily.com

For many years, I used both AutoCad and SolidWorks when I was working.  Now I run DraftSight on a cheap Toshiba laptop with Win7 and have no problems.  If you want to continue with DraftSight you should contact their tech support.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I do not run DraftSight but I run Autocad 2013 on my Laptop. Until I upgraded my Ram to 6 gig's I founf it sluggish. The Tech guy I use said it was the refresh time that made it slow. Since the upgrade it has worked flawlessly. You might want to look at this.  By the way I use windows 8.

Dave

Edited by DaveF