HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Paul

Yep it's looking really smart . Make sure you can remove the pins after the planking. I am probably totally wrong but are you using an ipad for your photos, or are they deliberately sideways and up side down to show the planking. Keep up the good work and enjoy your build. DAVID

I'll be very interested in learning from your cutting in all those gunports. I'm a chicken about doing that. NIce build!

You're right...it's a tricky job. I made a template right from the side view of Constructo's plans. My USS Constitution gunports wound up exactly where they should be, but I could only tell when I mounted the stand-offs for the deadeyes and the holes lined up very close to where they were supposed to be. Sometimes you win a few.

Paul0367,

You're right....the Victory is wall to wall gunports. Some models give you pre-cut slabs, but Construco tells you to plank the whole ship and then cut the holes. That's quite a big difference!

Edited by Hipexec

Anyone building this kit, treat yourself to some strips of Walnut and ditch the Manzonia, the images are of the Manzonia bent, but I wastred a lot of strips trying to achieve this. The wood grain runs similar to what I can only describe as ply, and trying to bend so tight just split, split, splits and more splits before I got it to bend. Hot water, Steam, you name it I tried it. I will be replacing the lost strips with Walnut which appears the same. Colour matching of the same timber in the kit, don't get me started with that one. I may paint her but still haven't decided so the wood has to at least be reasonably close match

Oh, just to let you know if your feeling brave to attempt it, well lets face it you have the Manzonia timber, use a plank bender, the pliers type that just creases the back with a blade and be careful, you need a lot of pressure but to much and watch it fly past your shoulder. Crimp as close together as possible mm even and bend as you crimp, they will behave eventually.

post-11858-0-54415800-1402078609_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-41539300-1402078658_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

WOW, I am so jealous, just looking into getting my Constructo Victory. OMG am I going to need to buy a lot of clamps. You've made a really great job of the hull. keep up the good work.

Bootes

Bootes

Colour is just a pigment of your imagination !

Current build:

HMS Victory - Constructo 1:94 

MTDORAMIKE This is my first ever build of a ship, I looked and did my homework regards the kit to cut my teeth on, If money was no object I would have gone Caldercraft all the way but it's a lot of cash for a first time build. Also instructions were the best on the Constructo, that said you do have to read ahead of your actual work to get the idea, they sort of think we're all experienced in this hobby. ( reading your comment you have built many). Manual is all colour as I'm sure your past constructo kits were. I did need to surf the net to find out what Ayous wood was / looked like as it's not marked up, just bundeled with a band around. I actually had to do this with all the timber due to not not knowing what they looked like, Oh the ply hull main section as with most kits was bent, I used the cannon mount timber to clamp it straight, the captains cabin fairing ply was marked up back to front on the paper page supplied. The planking went really well, took a while but went well, Contstructo do supply 0.5 mm x 6 mm veneer strips for those who struggle planking plus they are all the same shade. (I have no idea if this is the norm with there kits). I started using the brass pins in the kit which require a pre-drilling of the plank to prevent splitting. I then used the coloured pins in the pictures previous, they clamp really well and speed up the process by saving pre-drilling. Oh also the grates main spar should run fore to aft but the plans show port to starboard on the lower deck but upper deck the correct way. Mine are as the plan but only the purest will see it, still I may put mine right way soon. Wow I'm going on here but hope I've helped, get this kit and at sub £200 you wont be disappointed

Edited by Paul0367

I'm building a Constructo USS Constitution and agree 100% with your assessment of their wood and bending it. I have a big scrap pile to prove it. Keep up the great work!

I have to agree, with all the Constructo kits that I built, bending the wood was the worst part of it. It's beautiful wood, but tends to be a bit brittle and they usually don't do a double planked hull. I found that wetting the wood thoroughly with hot water and lemon juice seemed to help break down the fiber a bit and helped it bend a little easier. But for those tighter bends, I would use a pair of plank crimping piers with just enough force to help the wood bend a little more and without causing too much damage to the wood. This was done after soaking for a couple of hours. 

MTDORAMIKE This is my first ever build of a ship, I looked and did my homework regards the kit to cut my teeth on, If money was no object I would have gone Caldercraft all the way but it's a lot of cash for a first time build. Also instructions were the best on the Constructo, that said you do have to read ahead of your actual work to get the idea, they sort of think we're all experienced in this hobby. ( reading your comment you have built many). Manual is all colour as I'm sure your past constructo kits were. I did need to surf the net to find out what Ayous wood was / looked like as it's not marked up, just bundeled with a band around. I actually had to do this with all the timber due to not not knowing what they looked like, Oh the ply hull main section as with most kits was bent, I used the cannon mount timber to clamp it straight, the captains cabin fairing ply was marked up back to front on the paper page supplied. The planking went really well, took a while but went well, Contstructo do supply 0.5 mm x 6 mm veneer strips for those who struggle planking plus they are all the same shade. (I have no idea if this is the norm with there kits). I started using the brass pins in the kit which require a pre-drilling of the plank to prevent splitting. I then used the coloured pins in the pictures previous, they clamp really well and speed up the process by saving pre-drilling. Oh also the grates main spar should run fore to aft but the plans show port to starboard on the lower deck but upper deck the correct way. Mine are as the plan but only the purest will see it, still I may put mine right way soon. Wow I'm going on here but hope I've helped, get this kit and at sub £200 you wont be disappointed

Thanks for all the info, if I remember on some kits Constructo supplied veneer strips for double planking if needed, but that was later on I think and not in their early kits. I was able to never double plank a Constructo kit and usually finished off the hull with clear varnish. What stunning wood it would turn out to be. I actually found a Constructo Victory kit for $411.00 shipped in the U.S.