HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

Beautiful work Paul,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Sorry to hear you have been unwell and glad your on the mend. I don't do the ship too often as other things take over, Summertime. (my log shows this) It  is difficult to pick up after a long break trying to remember where im at. The rigging for a first timer is tough, not the actual rigging itself but the sequences to avoid lines getting in my way and it looks like the dead eyes on the shrouds and ratlines come very late in the build. 

This is just beautiful work...   if I get this point in my own work, I'll have lived beyond what I think I can achieve at the bench.

Cheers guys, the lower shrouds are to be installed as late as I can possibly leave them so I have access to those mast as much as possible. The only reason I fitted them was to enable me to fit the standing rigging over the tops of the shrouds and hide more work. 

I have been messing with my new DSLR today and the Victory was my target, so here is a few random shots of her as she stands today

Oh MSW the new site is fantastic and so easy to put pictures on than it was before, hats of guys and thank you 

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good, Paul. I believe that you can find pre-formed hulls in the correct scale. But you will find that you will be bashing them to suit your model. Thus, I think you might be better off to scratch-build them.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Sort of expected that but really it's quite a crucial part to decide  not to supply with a model ship. ok I got two which swing from the davits. My guess is they assumed it only had the two because today they are not in situe on the vessel 

Hi Paul, this site is great and I know others on here use them - Cornwall Model Boats.  Here's the link

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html

Cheers

Nigel

Current Build - HMS Victory, Caldercraft - scale  1:64,  started September 2021

Cutty Sark, Constructo - scale 1:115, finished August 2021

HMS Bounty, Constructo - Scale 1:50 - First wooden kit build, finished April 2019

On a previous post, you questioned why manufacturers left out so many things on the model and, if you want them, you have to fabricate them. First, Second and Third are; cost, cost and scale and difficulty. They do not want to overburden the lower level modeler. They can list the kit as intermediate rather than advanced. This, of course widens the potential market.

Regards

That makes good sense, I wasn't sure if I could build a ship so the Caldercraft one would have been a bit expensive to find the hobby wasn't for me. I never took in account the scale issues on a mass scale. bad enough making a few.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2017 at 5:04 PM, Paul0367 said:

Still going slow but adding in extra detail of the tackle used to assist the boat removal, boats which the kit has decided were not important enough to fit.... Does any one know where I can get boats of the scale of 1.92 for this kit, Or am I to make my own

DSC_0341.thumb.JPG.6902b1bbc4dd2deb0c1bf57c6ac6c62c.JPG

I have done just the main mast upper shrouds, reading other forums this was recommended to be carried out on the bench, this make life mush easier. I actually made them the same thickness as the main shrouds as the kit states but I felt them to be to thick and after further research found that the uppers are actually thinner ropes. Yep after all the work I had to strip them and start again.

DSC_0340.thumb.JPG.10f5b943673c372ac228bc6d300e3238.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I'm still going, putting the many blocks and fittings on the mast, lower ratlines are ready but I will leave them as late as possible before fittings go on to keep access to the mast bases. lots of work but little to show and trying to rig her as she really was is very time consuming and tricky at this scale 

PICT_20170828_111926.JPG

Your work is very exact and neat, Paul. Keep going just the way you are.

With regard to the number of boats that she carried, I believe that a little research will show there were more than just the two hanging from the rear davits. The beams over the central opening would have had supports for two boats sitting side-by-side. These would then have had additional boats nested on top.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 1 month later...

Winter arriving in the UK and building re-starts.  I have started adding many additional details from the books that I have at my disposal before the ratlines are fitted and a lot of access is lost. Despite the kit being basic in its approach to many areas, there is a lot that can be added depending on where we as builders are prepaired to take it.

Main Jeers and main slings added on the main mast. 

20171016_183935.jpg

20171016_183939.jpg

20171016_223313.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Still here, slowly building through life’s commitments, rigging is taking quite some time studying what went where and what it does and how to rig avoiding the, I can not get to it now because I rigged that first scenario. The rigging fitted so far is just loose except main stays and when I’m happy the access is not comprised I will fix them. There is no rush and she will probably take me as long as the real ship to complete at this rate of knots. Hope your all ok out there. 

FB707DBF-0FEA-4473-90C6-30DD8CAF5DEC.jpeg

Greetings Paul 

I have not been around for a while. The rigging? The most enjoyable part of the build, with a few snags here and there. I made the mistake of not adding rings of thread around the deck and the belaying  areas, before I started the rigging, and it became nightmare later, with all the rigging finished. I am prob telling you the road you know. Yep it’s a cracking build. Well done.  Keep enjoying it. Regards DAVID

Enjoyable mmmm hardest.... getting good info on the rigging is difficult. Drawings etc, I need Caldercraft plans there so much better for rigging. Anyone out there who can copy me some would be a instant hero. Problem I have is a start building, then leave a while and have to re pick up where I left off and it takes ages to grasp the point I’m at. Rigging full time would have me go crazier than I already am.

Did you sort out your smaller boats for her.?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Paul. I've mentioned before that this was my very first build, too. You are doing waaay better than I ever did !!

With regards the rigging, I just followed the numbers. Do two or three (or four or five) lines each night, and you'll get there in no time at all. I think your decision to leave the stay-lines temporarily unattached will prove very wise. I do recall experiencing difficulties getting my fat fingers in to tie lines off to the belaying pins.

You may find that you will need to fix the stays and rat-lines before the rigging is finished, as some later lines tie-off to the rat-lines (flying rigging).

Have you considered pre-making some rope coils ?? You'll need about 40 or more. Tie off your lines to the pins, super-glue in place, trim the excess rope, and slip a coil over the belaying pin. Use a diluted PVA mix (about 30 PVA/70 H2O) and "paint" a bit onto your coils and then shape them into place with your tweezers, so that they will permanently hang down convincingly.

Also, I found left-over rope coils to be very useful for hiding mistakes (obviously, YOU won't be requiring those).

When I was rigging the upper masts, I found it quite tiring on the wrists/forearms. Never tried this myself, but mayhaps you could try setting your model at ground level for these sections.

Keep up the great work !!

:cheers:  

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nice comments, thank you, I have started making a few coils for the belay pins, I also do a few lines a night well until I have had enough, I couldn’t sit there bashing them out all night, I also find I have to be in the mood to do the ship and really I am one of the lucky ones as she lives in a room of her own and I can just come and go. That said If I have a long break it takes me ages to pick her up again, this log helps to look back on. I have prowled other builders sites and taken advise from there errors regards rigging and trying to avoid them. It’s certainly the hardest part especially, hard in respect of lots of research required, if your going for the real way things were done, problem is it’s very visible too