HMS Victory by Paul0367 - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - First wooden ship build

I love that shot through the cannon portal, really cool. You did a tremendous job planking the deck. I'll tell you, that hull planking wood supplied by Constructo is absolutely gorgous. Constructo is one of the top kit manufactors when it comes to supplying top not wood in their kits.

I was messing with the camera on my phone when taking the picture through the cannon cut.

I find the timber very good quality, ok Manzonia is a swine to bend also the Ayous is tough but I have no past experience in model ships to compare there quality. You on the other hand with your back catalogue

will know the kits well. Take a look at the image above of the plan view of the victory, you will notice the timber used at the very rear is not the light Ayous, therefore does not match the decorative pieces that drop down towards the cabin. (Ayous would not conform) and as I was painting her it wasnt a problem. ? can she stay natural

Edited by Paul0367

I actually don't see an issue with it, although the lighter wood is supposed to represent the yellow or ocre color and the manzanita is supposed to represent the dark colors of the ship. The way I look at it is, if a change, correction, addition or mistake is balanced on both sides equally then there's no problem. I call it artistic license. But, both sides of the ship need to be the same and equally balanced. So my answer would be yes, you could still leave her natural if you like.   

sorry I missed the start of you build, lovely work, lol I wish I could go back to that stage on my build, I will continue watching your work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Think I've come cross model ship buildings worse job, framing canon ports. Only manage a few and get fed up

lol wait until you have to do the gunport lids and lanyards, drove me bonkers, not only that i also spent hours and hours on the linings and repeated them twice before having the lids in the shut position, so you don't see them

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Im a big fan of the natural look and from what i see you should have no problem avoiding paint . some thing to watch out for is ply parts although your s may not have as many as my Billings  ,problem is covering the ends ,even stained they don,t look right  ..Did you find a big variation in the color of the Manzonia , i bought a pack of 10 strips and have 3 or 4 different shades  BTW great planking job ,your now at a similiar stage to me ..Boyd

Yeh Manzonia the doesn't want to bend or comply timber, some brown some grey/brown. Look at my lower starboard Wale and it's two parts and there is a huge colour difference. I didn't mind as I was painting her until Mike changed my mind again but hey its now called a battle repair. Artistic licence some one once posted. Ply parts, this kit so far and looking ahead has no visible ply, intrigued Kevin, why did you close the gunport lids. Difficulty found on this contrasting timber is the Manzonia (pain) tries it's best to bleed into the light Ayous when sanding. Progress now has hit a crawl pace as the messy not really noticeable (to others) framing is being done, when I find I'm in the mood that is.

I know what you mean about bending brittle wood. I broken my share of all kinds of modeling wood, trying to get that perfect bend. I eventually broke down and yep, bought a pair of plank crimping pliers (if someone reading this is a purist, look away). I'm not a purist and prefer to find the path of least resistance when possible. You would be surprised just how many people frown at the phrase "I can have that particular model built and finished for you within a year versus that happy look when you tell them 6-8 months. So sometimes you have to cut a corner or two. I usually soak the strips to be bent in water and lemon or lime juice or vinegar to help break down the fiber in the wood, after an hour or two the wood is ready to be crimped and molded. Now, if the crimped part will wind up showing on the finished product, I start with a larger thickness of wood and once crimped and dried, I sand out the crimp marks and bring the wood down to the proper thickness.  

post-13395-0-15264700-1406418770_thumb.jpg

Finally finished canon port hole framing, I have also done a dry instal of the canons and some of the backplates didnt line up, despite being prefabricated. I had to make sections small enough to fit the canon holes, pre drill them and instal, this works but really should be unnecessary. you can see them in the images. Anyone building this kit i would recommend adding to the depth of the cannon mount board before planking as its a pain to sort through a port holepost-11858-0-64007200-1407591014_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-35265600-1407591146_thumb.jpg

I have moved on to the captains quarters now detail and frames going in, the picture shows my additional frames part installed in the windows, this takes so much time and is so fiddily but I hope it's seen as a better addition by fellow modellers. I also put in a blue window and framed it as the kit intended. I personally felt this was a let down by Constructo and a bit of a cop out. I'm

post-11858-0-17103500-1408011023_thumb.jpg

I've finished the portside windows and due to fingers adding grease to the hull I've varnished her today so all works stopped whilst she dries awaiting a re sand and further coats. Mike do you prefer blue to yellow or blue overall, ie blue under framed in wood as as opposed to black. I went black as that's all I see on the real girl sat in Portsmouth

post-11858-0-19990700-1408099786_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-11679600-1408099803_thumb.jpg

Thank you, hey welcome back, we were almost at the same stage of the build last time I heard from you. I have used International yacht varnish from B and Q, I'm not sure wether the next coat should be satin rather than super shiny gloss, Jury is out. I have now decided to make my own spindles for the cabin decoration and ditch the copper ( short Length) ones also, it will take a while to make them all but I'm not in a race. Oh just incase your wondering I'm keeping her wood colour, shows all the effort more than paint. I may build another in the future and paint her.

Hey

I pretty much haven't touched her since then but I'm getting back into it now.  But with only a few hours a week to spend on her it's going to take an awfully long time to finish.  But then I bought it to be a long term hobby so I don't mind.

Your woodwork is looking stunning so will look awesome unpainted.  I've always wanted to paint mine and my wood skill isn't as good as yours so I'm expecting quite a bit of filling when I get to the hull planking stage. But you never know, I might surprise myself :-)

You should be fine with the planking, really. there is more fear spread about the job than actually it is. The only problem about it is that its our first ever so we don't have any idea what can be acceptable prior to sanding. My tip for you is just shave some off the contact area of the plank especially on the curved sections to prevent a gap, the planks are thick, good for sanding back, hell to bend... and lots of cursing to come, before planking I would add 5mm to all the canon back plates because look back over my pictures and you will see some are not inline enough... If you go by the plans you will hit ribs, I hit my first, this if a pain and takes a while to cut out but ok below deck just more work but please, please, please plan your top deck where the ribs are seen from behind, these have to be right and not touched / cut even if it means cheating and moving them a little. I have made a few spindles which I am replacing the brass etchings with. see pic, I plan on making a stupid amount to replace all the brass.

post-11858-0-94775800-1408123312_thumb.jpg