Niagara 1813 by Don Quixote - Model Shipways - 1:64 - First build

Not sure which black plate you're talking about, but if you are referring to the horseshoe shaped one at the front of the sled, that was drawn on with a Sharpie. Always looking for the easy way out.

Great ideas, thanks a LOT!

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

I don't understand the hawse pipe. Does it go all the way through? What's it used for?

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

The hawse pipe is for the anchor cable to penetrate the bulkhead. The other end goes into a chain locker, & they pull it up with the capstan. But it has to be able to go outboard of the ship, thus the hawse pipe. In answer to your question, yes, it goes all the way through.

Cool, thanks. I couldn't find a good picture in your log. Probably there, just didn't see it.

What did you use for the pipe? I don't have any 1/8" ID anything. Did you drill a hole in the center of a dowel? I did that for the axels on the 2 cannon, but boy was it tough.

In Dry Dock:

I didn't actually put in a pipe. I just drilled the holes. With a rope in it you can't tell the difference anyway.

If you look at pages 4, 11, & 20 of my log, you will see some pics of the hawse hole, some without a rope & some with.

Remind me not to play poker with you... Cheater:)

In Dry Dock:

On page three of the plans I see several "sheaves". What the heck are those? I don't see anything anywhere on what they are or how to make them.

In Dry Dock:

I don't have my prints handy any more (I've packed them away), so I'm not sure which sheaves (pronounced "shivs") you are talking about, but I suspect you are referring to the ones in the sides. Sheave is another name for a block. In this case, they are built into the sides. Lines traverse through the holes & the sheaves facilitate the hauling of them. One person suggested cutting a square hole & inserting a wire ring to simulate the pulley. Or you could probably just drill a hole & pass the line through it. Not many people would call you out on that.

Do you need them? I cut them into the sides & then never used them. I rigged with the yards down & no sails. If you are putting in sails, you probably do need them.

I'm doing her with no sails, so nope. Don't need 'em. Not doing 'em then.

Thanks once again.

In Dry Dock:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on the capstan. Page 20 in the book, details 3-d on page 3 of the plans. How does one make the black metal ring on top? Looking at Laxet's, it doesn't look like it's painted on... Can't begin to imagine how to make that.

In Dry Dock:

It's not painted. I took a small circle cutter & cut it out of thin sheet plastic. The bolt heads are glue. They didn't come out as good as I would have hoped. I never got around to making the star in the middle & eventually just forgot about it.

I'll give that a try, thanks. BTW, I think your ship turned out beautifully!

In Dry Dock:

Thanks for the kind words. I was pretty pleased myself considering (as I've said a hundred times here) it's my first wood ship ever. Next one will be even better. I've learned a ton here.

I don't have a 1/8" dowel for the capstan. The closest I have is .135". I take it you had to do some sanding?

In Dry Dock:

I've learned a ton here

LOL. My process is to eliminate each and every thing that doesn't work, leaving me with only the one that does.

In Dry Dock:

I don't recall having to do anything special for the capstan. It was a little tight, but I don't know the size dowel I used.

None of these are mounted yet, I want to get everything that goes on the bulwarks in, before I install anything that may get in the way of accessing the bulwarks.

post-10291-0-75853700-1434159361_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-11158500-1434159372_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-29755200-1434159380_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-00844600-1434159389_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

She's looking good, Brian. I could be wrong (because I did it wrong on my ship) but verify with the prints the orientation of the main grating (forward of the main mast). I believe it should run fore/aft & not athwartship. I don't have my prints handy.

Thanks for the nice words. Glad I didn't glue them down yet, you're right. Hope I remember when the time comes to make them permanent:) Putting a small rectangle in the center of where it goes to remind me.

In Dry Dock:

Like the dog hair in the middle of the deck? It's a constant battle up a hill worth dying on that I always loose.

In Dry Dock:

Working on the quarter boats, I use the bottom lift for a template for filing on the 2nd lift...ect. See how close to the edge the outline is on the 3rd lift? I knew that was a bad idea and didn't file nearly that close. Never the less, I have a gap. The only thing I can think of is to fill the inside with wood filler. Otherwise I'll end up with a large hole surrounded by paper. The other boat is the same way.

The laser cut pcs. are no where near the plans. Even filling with wood filler makes me uneasy. Not at all sure of the results might be.

post-10291-0-84391800-1434246010_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-31371600-1434246020_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-17331400-1434246029_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-39113900-1434246037_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

• 5 months later...

Bet y'all thought I'd given up, eh? Nope. Spent the summer with my beautiful Granddaughter. Mom and Dad back in Illinois, needed a cheap baby sitter. So, we spent some $3,000 getting her here and back to California, renting a cabin in the mountains...etc.

post-10291-0-54067600-1447745907_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

So, here's where we're at. The boats were worse than the dead-eyes.

I know that's not how the wire around the dead-eyes is supposed to look, but this was easier and, at this point, I don't care. Come January I'll have 2 years into this beast. I figure she'll be done some time around 2021.

post-10291-0-11270100-1447746143_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-53270500-1447746153_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

I was a little nervous at first. But I have my CCW and a .45

In Dry Dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Seeking advice. I have all the grating and sky lights/companionway..etc. done but have not mounted them yet. Should I install all the fife-rails before or after the buildings? I don't want to be fighting myself for finger room. I aim to install all the eye bolts near the fife rails before installing the fife rails them selves for the same reason.

In Dry Dock:

Nice work on the Niagara Brian.   Spot the cabins and see if you have finger room.  I would think that the rails need to be in place before the cabins and other things as you'll want to make sure they are in securely.  Some pin them in place for security.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)