There is never a lack of suggestions for new kits.  The key point is to try and make kits that people want.  The thread on MSW about kits you wished were made was helpful, but kind of all over the place.  We have put together a list of potential kits we think might be interesting.  So fill out the survey and send it to us by whichever means you like!

2014 Survey.pdf

Jaxboat, jwvolz and trippwj like this

I would be most interested in a shrimp boat. From the photos I've seen of Jenny (Forrest Gump"s boat) she is a bit sparse in the rigging. Something a little larger with more detail in the rigging but authentic to a wooden boat. 

Thanks John

I hope this isn't a "necro thread", and that Nic is still watching it...

But I'll vote again for a WEST coast work boat, or several-   many versions of the famous San Francisco fishing boat, the "Monterey Clipper", can be built on the same hull... and professionally produced fittings for salmon trollers and Hicks engines would go over quite well in 1:12 scale.

All the data you need is out there for free- just see my MC site:   https://montereyclippers.wordpress.com/

PM

David Rice likes this

Thayer, HMS Shannon, one of the steam frigates, in that order, and ditto on David Rice's call for a West Coat work boat.

I don't know if  I am seeing this correctly,but....there is quite a gap between first post and second.  Is that correct?

On 5/13/2014 at 10:22 AM, MrBlueJacket said:

There is never a lack of suggestions for new kits.  The key point is to try and make kits that people want.  The thread on MSW about kits you wished were made was helpful, but kind of all over the place.  We have put together a list of potential kits we think might be interesting.  So fill out the survey and send it to us by whichever means you like!

2014 Survey.pdf

How do I fill out and email back the survey.  I do not have a scanner or fax machine.  ?

Right (write) here! Don't need no stinkin' forms. Or send an email to BlueJacket.

Nic will see it...

How about the Pilgrim's  "Mayflower" or  Captain Scotts "Discovery"from the Antartica  or even the "Savanna" the worlds first nuclear powered cargo ship still afloat in Baltimore harbor 

Andy

21 hours ago, David Rice said:

How do I fill out and email back the survey.  I do not have a scanner or fax machine.  ?

You would print out the survey and mail it in.

donrobinson likes this

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, AndrewNaylor said:
21 hours ago, AndrewNaylor said:

How about the Pilgrim's  "Mayflower" or  Captain Scotts "Discovery"from the Antartica  or even the "Savanna" the worlds first nuclear powered cargo ship still afloat in Baltimore harbor 

Andy

There are at least two wooden (Amati and Aresania Latina) and one plastic (Revell) Mayflowers already out there. We had Shackleton's Antarctic Endeavour in the survey but it wasn't popular. We offered a model of the NSS Savannah, and it was dropped ecades ago due to lack of sales.

Edited by MrBlueJacket
donrobinson likes this

21 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

I don't know if  I am seeing this correctly,but....there is quite a gap between first post and second.  Is that correct?

Yes, I put out this survey in 2014. Still like getting suggestions, however.

mtaylor and donrobinson like this

21 hours ago, Pat Matthews said:

Right (write) here! Don't need no stinkin' forms. Or send an email to BlueJacket.

Nic will see it...

Yes, I will see it. The purpose of the form is to focus results. In a "write your favorite" open suggestion, I think I would get 25 suggestions from 20 people, each one being different. By choosing from a list, it becomes clearer what is popular.

Canute, mtaylor and donrobinson like this

6 minutes ago, MrBlueJacket said:

Yes, I will see it. The purpose of the form is to focus results. In a "write your favorite" open suggestion, I think I would get 25 suggestions from 20 people, each one being different. By choosing from a list, it becomes clearer what is popular.

Except for the SS Beaver, which are the West Coast Ships?     

Canute, donrobinson and mtaylor like this

I think Scotts "Discovery" was a combo Steam ship sailing ship Funnel propeller etc different from Shakletons  but I get the picture 

For your US War ships kits,  how about the ship used in the Philadelphia experiment. some times you see it some times you don't!!!

or even a submarine plenty of famous Subs to chose from built just down the road in Portsmouth NH and Groton CT

A Presidential  yacht like the Trump'y  Sequoia, NOT "Trump Princess"

A NOAA ship like the one used to discover the Titanic

An Ice Breaker with that wonderful bow

The Edmund Fitzgerald lots of interest in this ship

The "Mary Celeste" the skipper was from Marion there are lots of drawing and books on this ship 

Andy

donrobinson and Canute like this

I would love to see a kit of a Star Ferry that cross Hong Kong's harbor. these ships are fascinating double ended boats. i scoured the city and the internet to find a manufacturer of a kit to no avail so you would be the fist. the names are cool too.. Evening Star, Rising Star, Shining, Star, and my favorite, Twinkling Star. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ferry#Fleet

Canute and donrobinson like this

A west coast troller and the Columbia River salmon boat for me.  I'm just a beginner, but that's where I'm headed.  H.L. Chapelle described the salmon boat as being a unique product to the region, making a kit of the boat a worthy contribution to the genre, IMO.  

donrobinson likes this

Endurance, Charles Morgan cutaway, and Cairo cutaway.

I've always wondered why there aren't more kits that emphasize the interior of vessels. There's some much interesting detail within most sailing ships that rarely gets noticed.  Also makes for a somewhat smaller (and thus easier to display) model.

As Cathead said "Emphasize on the interior" How about a Half model from the inside prospective That would be very different and allow a lot of bashing to customize with out been detrimental to the kit manufacturer.

Andy

mtaylor likes this

21 hours ago, Cathead said:

Endurance, Charles Morgan cutaway, and Cairo cutaway.

I've always wondered why there aren't more kits that emphasize the interior of vessels. There's some much interesting detail within most sailing ships that rarely gets noticed.  Also makes for a somewhat smaller (and thus easier to display) model.

We have deep reveals on our Alabama and Kearsarge models (3 layers). The Pauline has the entire pilot house detailed. Our current plans, partly from this survey, are to do the Charles Morgan cross-section (1:24) and a cut-away Cairo (1:64).  And yes, our next "Great American Workboat" will be West Coast.

On July 31, 2017 at 11:17 AM, David Rice said:

Except for the SS Beaver, which are the West Coast Ships?     

Bearing Sea Crab boat, USS Oregon (in name anyway), Oracle Catamaran, and a tuna boat is universal.

Canute, mtaylor, coxswain and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, MrBlueJacket said:

USS Oregon (in name anyway)

USS Oregon was built at the Mare Island yard in San Francisco. That's pretty West Coast, I think.

mtaylor and Canute like this

43 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

USS Oregon was built at the Mare Island yard in San Francisco. That's pretty West Coast, I think.

Only one?    The Kit manufactures are still ignoring the variety, unique history, and demand for West Coast Ships/Boats Kits.

Don't get too hopeful, David. I've been beating the West Coast drum for many years without much success. Well, without any success really.