Dallas by RichardG - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:50 - Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter

I started this build almost 30 years ago. After completing the hull and deck fittings it was packed away (in newspaper dated 1986). I moved from to the US from the UK in 91 and brought it with me.

Needing something to do to relax, I decided to restart the build and try my hand at masts and rigging. We'll see how relaxing tying small knots turns out to be!

Progress so far:

Basic inventory - except for rigging line, everything seems to be there.

Damage - one pump handle is broken.

Tools - purchased a few obvious hand tools; tweezers, rigging toolset, new x-acto blades, built a small (12"x24") workbench.

Reading - as well as this site, I have copies of Ship Modeling Simplified (Frank Mastini) and Model Sailing Ships - Design and Construction (Robert F. Brien).

Immediate to-do's:

Read the books and plans - I need to get a better handle on terminology and techniques.

Decide on any changes to existing hull work.

Calculate size and quantities of rigging line - I'm thinking of using line from Syren.

Start work on yards and booms.

Some pictures:

The original box

post-12980-0-19309700-1400016965_thumb.jpg

Minor damage after a 3800 mile journey

post-12980-0-18847200-1400017083_thumb.jpg

Lots still to do

post-12980-0-87738900-1400017013_thumb.jpg

post-12980-0-86845000-1400016873_thumb.jpg

post-12980-0-78483400-1400017028.jpg

post-12980-0-47292900-1400017120_thumb.jpg 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Hi Richard:

I noticed that you mentioned the possibility of "hull work" on you AL Dallas. I have this same unbuilt model packed away in storage, moving into my new house soon, and the hull aways looked too shallow to me. I have looked at some reference material over the years, including Howard Chapelle and others and I have always believed that the hull should be more "v" shaped or deeper for a revenue cutter of this time frame. I'll look into this further for you once I get settled.

Bob

Based on the information from the USCG historian, the Dallas was a very shallow draft cutter, drawing 6 feet.

TYPE/RIG/CLASS: Topsail schooner / Surprise Class
COMMISSIONED: 1816
DECOMMISSIONED: Sold, 1821
DISPLACEMENT: 51 3/95 tons
PROPULSION: Sail
LENGTH: 56’8"
BEAM: 17’
DRAFT: 6’

Dallas1816.pdf

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Bob, my thoughts are more on fittings than hull shape. It's too late for me to change that :-). The various brass fittings from the kit have been left as is. In reading various items on this site it would be more accurate if these were blackened. This would mean pulling them out, cleaning, blackening, and then putting them back in. This is doable. Some other items like the cannon and stanchions would also need the same treatment.

My bigger concern is the caulking on the deck. I cannot now remember why I didn't do anything this when I originally laid the planks. Of course this was pre-internet so my sources of information were much more restricted. I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not looking for 100% accuracy (I'm not planning to paint much of the model for example) but I think it would look better with caulking. I think my only option here would be to remove the smaller deck fittings and replank.

For the moment, I putting off those decisions and working on masts, yards, etc. I can then make a final choice prior to seating the masts.

Thanks for the info Wayne. 6' doesn't seem much but would presumably have helped for operations close to shore. 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Wrong Year!

Taking a closer look at the data Wayne sent (from the US Coast Guard), it looks like the Dallas was commissioned in 1816 not 1815. It was her sister ship Surprise that was completed in 1815. The Dallas was decommissioned and sold in 1821.

According to The global schooner : origins, development, design & construction 1695-1845 / Karl Heinz Marquardt pp77, the Surprise was built in 1815 but the Dallas was not built until 1821 and was then "lost" in 1822.

I think I'm going to take the US Coast Guard as the authoritative source. Which gives me a couple of choices: rename it to Surprise, or change the date.

Since this will be my first time rigging a ship, I was going to be fairly relaxed in my schedule and try to complete the build for its 200th anniversary next year. I can do this and rename it, or be really lazy and complete it in 2016 (or 2021)!

Richard

I think either approach would make sense!  They were both based on the 51 ton plans by Doughty. 

The following is extracted from US Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935 by Donald L. Canney (1995).  Note that he is the source for many of the older cutter records at the USCG History site, and is generally considered to be authoritative with thoroughly researched information. 

Both cutters were built by A. & N. Brown in New York.  In terms of history, the Dallas served longer with numerous captures over the years (including at least 2 large slavers).  The Surprise, however, lived a very short life.  She was found to be too deep for service in Charleston, SC and was sent to Norfolk VA where she was sold in 1817. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Richard,

I'm enjoying your log, but a question: did the pedestals come with the kit, or did you purchase them separately? A couple of years ago my dentist gave me the same kit and asked me to build it, as it was too complicated for him. I did it, but there were no pedestals with my kit. So it just sits there:

post-106-0-76187200-1400514912_thumb.jpg

Tom

Trippwj,

Thanks for the information. At this time, I'm going to leave as-is. 

Richard

Tom,

I bought the pedestals from Model-Expo - http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS0813. The 5 degree angle of the keel makes mounting a little trickier, hence the temporary piece of wood raising it up in the photos. I still haven't decided if I'm going to use these or not - I've had some other ideas. I want to be able to mount the model two different ways, one while rigging and the other for display. The work area I'm using needs to be clean between sessions, so I need the transfer between the two positions to be quick and easy.

Your model looks good!  Did you have any particular difficulties with the rigging? One of the reasons I chose this kit was that it was complex enough to be interesting but not too complicated. I don't think I'll ever get to the stage of an HMS Victory for example - the number of ropes is scary.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. The rig is simple, which is a benefit, and no ratlines! I made my own blocks, as I think the kit supplied stuff looks pretty clunky. If that isn't a possibility for you, check out Chuck Passaro's offerings at the Syrene link on the home page.

Tom

Tom.

I like the no ratlines :-). I'll need to check the blocks - they're still packed up. I received the rope I ordered from Syren yesterday - very nice. I'll definitely order the blocks from there if I need them. I'm going to be fitting the cannon to the deck this weekend - that'll give me my first go at actually rigging something. 

Richard

Edited by RichardG

Richard

Piperjoe,

I have 3 plan sheets each approx 40" x 30". There is also 8 A4 pages of part numbers and very brief instructions. 

I can scan the A4 pages in easily - let me know if you need these, I can get them in a day or so.

The plans are more difficult because of the size. I'll have to take these to a print shop and get them scanned.

Richard.

p.s. When I restarted this build, I did an internet search and your request was one of the pages that came up. It was dated around 2009 and I thought it was too late to respond - I glad you found me.

Richard

Joe,

Here is a link to the 8 page document https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxrmts4xuwq9b0p/Dallas.pdf. The part numbers will make more sense when I get you the plans!

I think folding and scanning the plans will be almost impossible, they're not very strong. Thanks for the offer of compensation - that won't be needed :-).

I have already grabbed the Alert pdf. Have you seen Dubz's Alert build http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/700-usrc-alert-by-dubz-revenue-cutter-done/? Make sure you follow the links in the first posting to the Picasa albums. A wonderful build that really inspired me.

Richard.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Progress.

I have been doing stuff for the last couple of weeks. Lots of reading. Buying stuff - a few more tools along with rope and blocks from Chuck (both excellent).

For the ship itself, some small items. I'm beginning to get into the swing of things again  :).

I decided to improve the anchors supplied with the kit,these were

post-12980-0-88562600-1402455370.png

After some cleanup and accidents

post-12980-0-38619200-1402455441.png

I still have some unused 2x5mm mahogany from the kit, so laminating some together I got:

post-12980-0-97619800-1402455587.png

post-12980-0-30045700-1402455588.png

Some work with some really small pieces of basswood and paper, some paint and we're done.

post-12980-0-01240000-1402455900.png

Richard

Things I've discovered

I don't like CA (especially the gel variety). I'm going to stick to yellow glue and epoxy from now on (sorry for the bad pun there).

This stuff is really small.

I had been using Minwax Polycrylic satin as a protective coating. This was too shiny for me. I'm trying Varathane Matte polyurethane. It's not completely flat and provides a nice smooth finish.

This site and the people on it are wonderful!

I'm already thinking about my next ship. I considering a small frigate. From a kit (I'm not ready for a scratch build yet). 1/4 scale if I can find one (did I mention this stuff is really small?). I would still have to persuade the boss though!

Richard

More work completed. 

On the main yard, I've added battens.  I didn't have any thin wood strip so I reduced and squared the center quarter first.

post-12980-0-91466500-1402457201_thumb.png

After adding the strip, I then trimmed it to an octagonal shape and tapered the edges.

post-12980-0-72901300-1402457432.png

The gaff needed some work as well. The plywood supplied for the crutch was very poor so it was back to fabrication from the 2x5mm strip again.

post-12980-0-52392600-1402457795.png

post-12980-0-76244800-1402457795.png

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

You are very welcome. The reimbursement is not required but much appreciated!

I look forward to seeing your Dallas build log here!

Richard.

Richard

Missing stuff  :o

When I pulled the Dallas kit out of storage, I did a quick inventory. Except for the rigging line, everything seemed to be there. I started this week on the crutches for the 2 smaller gaffs and discovered I'm missing both of them. I've been searching for 3/16 mahogany dowel this evening without much success. 1/4 seems to be available but I'm unsure of the type of mahogany (from the color, the wood in the kit is South American). I'm probably going to have to get square stock and use my drill as a lathe. But to put a positive spin on it, the gaffs are only 3" long and it'll be good practice.

The deck

post-12980-0-14779200-1403323762.png

I still can't make up my mind if I'm going to replace the deck planking. I've removed the pumps already to fix the broken handle. The belaying pins and various brass fittings will have to be removed for blackening anyway. I can probably leave the deckhouse and plank around it. The circular piece that the carronade sits on (what is that called?), may have to be remade. The sampson posts will probably be damaged by removal but are easy to remake.

It seems like a lot of work but the poor quality deck is bugging me. I just get the feeling that after all the rigging has been done, this will leave me dissatisfied. I don't expect this model to be museum quality but I know I can do better.

Even as I write this down, I'm leaning towards replacing the deck. So what does everyone think - lime or holly for my new deck?

Richard. 

Edited by RichardG

Richard

Thanks Joe, I'll raise a cup to you!

My wife (of almost 19 years), doesn't quite understand my "new" hobby. Still so long as I'm not wrecking the house, it's ok.

Richard

Richard

Well I bit the bullet - I am going to replank the deck! 

I'm currently in the process of demolishing the deck fittings (photos to follow). I'm salvaging some parts, others I'll just rebuild.

I'm ordering holly from HobbyMill. I'll have to test some of the methods of caulking I've seen here - I'm definitely not doing the deck a third time!

Richard.

Richard

Hi Richard

Just came across your log. I like this style of ship very much.

That's a gutsy decision to re-plank the deck. My Fly model is holly from Hobby Mill. Jeff's product is very precise and the holly comes up a treat. Have a look...

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Alistair,

Very nice job on the planking and the rest of your build. Let's hope I can do as well :)

It'll also give me an opportunity to fix some other stuff.

Richard.

Richard

Let the demolition begin...

Going a bit easier than I expected  :)

post-12980-0-69619600-1404347598.jpg

post-12980-0-97271300-1404347598.jpg

post-12980-0-17643200-1404347599.jpg

Some of the smaller deck fittings have be saved. Everything else can be rebuilt.

Richard

Richard

Joe

I'm getting forgetful, my knees creak, and my hair is grey but apparently one thing is getting better in my old age - my patience. As I am working on the Dallas, I'm seeing places where I did ok but didn't take that extra little bit of time to really make that part smooth or round that edge nicely. So now I'm taking that extra time, and enjoying it, and seeing better results. All is well.

Richard

Richard

Richard,

I've been looking for the Dallas kit diligently and not a trace of it anywhere.  Do you think your maker still carries it?  I think it would be a great model.  Best wishes on your hard work toward refining details.

Don't you worry about it.  I'm working on it.

I don't think it is manufactured any more.

There's one on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Artesania-Latina-Dallas-Revenue-Cutter-Kit-/231274109664?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item35d902dae0

Krick make a similar cutter at 1/24 scale http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/krick_alert.html

Corel also have a cutter http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=SM55W

Hope this helps

Richard

Richard

The Dallas was the second model that I built, and I gave the completed model away to a friend or pastor when I left California.  Artesania Latina, discontinued the kit maybe ten years ago or so.  My first kit was Sergal's HMS Sharke, that I purchased from a hobby shop in Long Beach California around 1976 or so.  Gosh, have I been building wood ship models for over 35 years!!!!

Sir Charles Edward

Current build:  Montanes by OcCre;

Pending Builds:  Sao Miguel by Mamoli;

Albatross by Constructo;

Albatross by OcCre;

Wappen von Hamburg by Corel;

Royal William by Euromodel;

Past Builds:  Santa Maria by Mantua;

Half Moon by Corel;

Golden HInd & Yacht Mary by Mamoli;

Sharke by Sergal;

Dallas & Scottish Maid by Artesania Latina.

On the shelf in boxes:  Berlin by Corel;

Royal Louis by Mamoli;

Nuestra Senora del Pilar by OcCre