HMB Endeavour by olliechristo - Artesania Latina Kit - 1:60 - kit bash/rehash

Hi everyone. Although I generally like to tread the less trodden path, I can't help but want to build the famous Endeavour.. I was born and live not far from Cooktown.. This is what ship came to mind at first, way back..  But i needed a warm up kit..

I wanted to scratch build without caring about time, but i no longer have a shed at home, and i want to complete this one in a matter of years not decades.. i also realised that severe kit bashing is almost scratch building anyway.

First I decided that this is the ship i want for my second build, this could be my last until i retire..  I heard that Artesania Latina's version of this ship has fairly accurate hull lines etc... 

I am a bargain hunter and quite frankly I think most model ships are very expensive considering what is really provided.. And i will rebuild most of it anyway.. I just need all the vital parts..

So I found a ebay auction I liked the look of and won a shelved kit from the 80's I'm told...  ($160 incl postage from Florida) I was a little dubious about what it would look like in the flesh (my last cheap shelved kit wasn't much good)

I inspected it all today and all is well, all parts seem to be there, plastic still around planks etc...Impressed at the way its held up over the years of sitting.  And the original quality looks good.. Walnut dowells look good and other walnut profiles..

The saving i have made allows me to replace all the deck and hull veneers and replace any other fittings i like..

The FIRST question I had to answer..... Was the keel straight ?!?

Looks good, thank the lord of decent plywood, this is manufactured before laser wood cutting, most parts seem machined in some way..

I laid it down on a piece of glass and sits flat :)

I hope you all can help me with tips for wood that will suit best and learn a bunch more along the way. I hope to meet some new friends on the journey as well as the amazing folk from my HM Mermaid build.. 

It's a BIG model and it's going to be a BIGGGER journey!!    :cheers:   Ollie

post-7066-0-13169400-1400755628_thumb.jpg

My model room can accommodate her, Mermaid under final rigging on right.. 

So i may start building a building board or slipway to help construction go straight and forward..

post-7066-0-49732400-1400758443_thumb.jpg

This kit came with a letter stating that people had complained about he wood supplied for hull planking, it was originally single layer planked.. This says that it now has limewood 1st plank (which i plan on still using) and walnut strip for final layer..

Instructions still say it has one layer.. This could help me establish the date of manufacture... perhaps someone knows? 

i am open to suggestions for the best suited timber for this ships hull... And for the deck for that matter.. (the supplied deck timber looks very yellow, may be the age) The hull walnut looks ok..   Regards Ollie

post-7066-0-24373600-1400758506_thumb.jpg

I agree that your workmanship on the Cutter Mermaid indicates that you can build any model you set your eyes on.

As to what woods to use:  I like to avoid painting as much as possible to let the workmanship show through (even though my workmanship is not as good as yours).  So on my current build I chose boxwood, which is yellowish, and holly, which is white, to create a hull that has the same look as the recommended painted model.  If you want to go that way, look at the color of the original ship and choose woods that are (about) the same colors.  (On my next model I have to look into ebony to replace the black wales.)  If you like this idea, the Hobby Mill web site, "http://www.hobbymillusa.com/milled-wood-strips.php", has a great selection of different wood types.

Just a thought.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hola olliechristo,

I made the (AL) HMS Endeavour a couple of years ago and it is a good kit. As you already now there a lots of information about this bark and also many pictures of the replica, so you can do a great model.

Saludos from the Gulf of California,  Karl

Ollie,

Sounds like this will make a great model!  Considering where you live, you may have to find a small piece of coral to jamb into the lower part of the hull! :)

Remember that we have the Endeavour replica here in Sydney, so if you want photos of any particular detail down the track, just yell.

John

Hi Ollie

Will look forward to your progress on this. Looks like a good buy and your skill will do a great rendering I'm sure. Think about holy for the deck maybe - see my Fly and Bob's - "rafine" 's - work on Essex. Not cheap but a great timber to work with.

P.S. Good to put a face with the name!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Welcome to the Endeavour build club Ollie - I am building the AL version only.  Well, I used the kit for the basic hull and threw the rest out -  the remainder is scratch based on Marquardt and other research.  I wish I had replaced the timber for the hull also =, but it was a lesson learned :)

In my battle station I used holly for the deck and it turned out very nice.  For our club's build (HMCSS Victoria) we are using birch - I''' post a photo but it may be a bit late for you noting the speed you work at :)  I have also bought some Vic Ash (Mountain ash is another name I think) to see how that goes in my Syren build.  For the hull, I have used Kauri pine in the Victoria build and it is wonderful to work with - it is a great colour if you wish to leave the timber natural?

Good luck mate; I'll follow closely.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Ollie

I built the exact same kit about 20 years ago (pics in the completed gallery here), the box artwork on mine was exactly the same so probably a similar vintage (I still have the box). When I built mine I did minimal painting because I wanted to produce more an ornamental piece rather than an exact scale model but I also did a few modifications to make it look more realistic and more like the Endeavour than it would have if I had just used the parts supplied and followed the AL instructions. I only used the wood supplied and the final outcome was pretty good, the deck planks and hull outer planking look okay. I mostly followed the instructions as there was no other reference material available to me at the time, so there a few things that are not quite right that annoy me now - the mast tops look too chunky, the line of the main wale isn't quite right and the stern doesn't look that good. The rigging blocks are fairly rough and chunky, so I individually sanded and lacquered each one which gave them a more accurate look. Every kit has its bad points but I'm sure you can make a good model from this one.

Cheers

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Thanks Geoff, i got a close watch on your sloop also.. shes looking great

Ken, thanks for that link and input. I also like the natural timber look and use contrasts and the timbers colour to represent. I will likely go this way..

Thanks Karl and Johnroy. Hello from over here in the land down under! :)

Greg and Pat, I chose this AL kit after seeing both of your beautiful builds and reading good things, inspiring and great work, its a shame so much of logs were lost..  I will be lurking on your logs dont you worry :D

John, thanks as always and i will be pestering you no doubt and am due for a trip to Syd soon.. B)

Alistair, yeah im coming out of hiding....  I think i got a bargain..  I will take you and Pat's advice, get some holly and check it out, sounds nice.. working with quality wood is so much nicer.

Steve, nice to have you here mate.. Thanks for that info, Its so good to have others who have built the same kit..     Its certainly held up well for its time shelved.. 

I'm mainly going to be planning for the first month and get in the rhythm of ordering gear in advance. we have no hobby shop here..

Warm regards to all. Ollie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ollie,

No worries for you I am sure. You are greatly skilled, gifted, and quite knowledgeable, and I will look forward to watching your build mature into the beauty the Endeavour truly is. As a pen & ink artist, this was one of my favorites I rendered....along with the USS Constitution and the HMS Victory. I rendered approximately 15 vessels in several years in pointillism. Well, keep in touch, and best wishes to you and your Endeavour........

Creativity Heart & Soul!

Happy Model Ship Building Friends!

John E.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I actually feel a bit daunted by it and kind of in two minds about when to start.. Sometimes i feel like getting into it but not enough enthusiasm built yet.. you guys are a great help..  I feel like a beginner all over again..  Will keep you posted all..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there Bud.. How did I miss this ??? I wouldn't mind except that the link is actually attached to the bottom of every post you make !! Nice bit of observational skills on show up here in Ireland eh :P  :P

Sorry for not dropping by sooner mate.. but sure I'm here now and can offer all kinds of assistance in recognising various bits -n-pieces (as you know already I can recognise Masts pretty easily!! so can be a huge help there as Endeavour has a few of the things! ) :huh:  ^_^

Stay Well Ollie

Eamonn 

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Been there Ollie with the step up from the AVS to HMS Fly. Have a look at my log for Fly...I started with a deck fitting and the quarter badges to get my eye in for the scale - which was a big surprise :o. Going from 1:48 to 1:64 was a shock and some work around the smaller pieces was useful just to understand the scale difference. I didn't start framing for several weeks. So maybe tackle some smaller bits to get a feel for it?

Cheers

Alistair

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have decided this was too a big a step up and has put me off modelling.. I need to do something with less commitment than the last, business is taking over my time again.. And i miss my shed..    I am looking to sell this kit on and do something smaller like a POF longboat kit..    If anyone is interested in this kit or you know someone, let me know.. Its a great kit.  Regards Ollie

That's a shame Ollie but good on you for admitting it.

I feel a big struggle with the lift from the AVS to the Fly but I also feel one step at a time will get me there. Your work on Mermaid should be good enough for anything but...big but...build what you want and what gives you joy. Endeavour is a hard one and I will, if I ever finish Fly, next head towards smaller ship kits at a larger scale.

There are so many people here who start something and then disappear. I guess they have attempted something beyond them. That is a shame too as there are plenty of kits that they could hone their skills on. Those that leave often never say why. Again, good on you for saying so.

Your Mermaid is brilliant and I hope you find a new model that can reflect your skills and keep you in touch with the craft.

Cheers

Alistair

Hey There Ollie.. sorry to hear that, but there is no point in continuing if you aren't going to enjoy it !! I completely agree with Alistair above, it is easy to move to bigger builds which will inevitably take soooo much longer (years even) I like my smaller boats for this reason, though it isn't the main one.. I just like smaller boats, see the list under my signature on the bottom of this  ^_^

BTW have you seen the Bounty's Launch ? that is smaller and appropriate for your neck of the woods too (well near enough anyhoo ;) ;)) but the Longboat is a doozey too as is the Pinnace ! I also think I saw a rather nice Whale boat kit somewhere too (same manufacturer as the Longboat I think )

Stay Well Ollie

I look forward to seeing what you come up with, it will be deadly whichever kit you choose.

Eamonn

BTW 'Deadly' is an Irishism for Brilliant as opposed to Lethal  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Dude, I started my Endeavour in 2000 when I lived in Cairns, I get annoyed, and I put it away. I did the frames when my youngest boy was born in 2005, it's now 2014, I've started on the yards. NSW finally beat Qld this year. It's the process, not the finish. It's that bloody cold here in Canberra, you cane toads can do it!

Greg

Thanks for the wise words guys.. I fell a little dissapointed in myself. But all good.  I may just shelve the kit for later down the track..  Thanks so much for the support and interest gang :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ollie I have to second what the other gents have said, your first build is gorgeous, clean and well crafted.  If you fee like you can't make the headway on your current build because of other commitments or it just doesn't call to you don't throw it out or sell it just shelve it and move to something that takes less commitment :)  I have a whaleboat and the Cutty Sark  shelved right now because they were beyond the scope of time I could commit and my ability, however at some point I will go back to them.  Find a build that calls to you and fits in the scope of time that you have.  At some point Endeavour will call to you again.

Current Build

Rattlesnake

Previous Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HMS Victory cross section

Thanks Divarty.. I appreciate it.. I have actually been coming close to feeling starting on something, could even be the big girl yet, i think i need to take Greg's approach, maybe just focus on the hull and see what happens.. The monsoon will give me some spare time again.. although Im a bit freaked out by mould in the house we live at..   :) Ollie

I know it's scary. I have a moisture absorber in the cabinet that the mermaid lives in, and a hygrometer to keep an eye on things.. I noticed some mould on the keel and bulkheads already. Regards