Amati Santa Maria

mkmossop

Ok so I'm having some trouble with the Santa Maria model I've been working on. It's my first build so I had no idea what I was doing when I started. I've been working on it for years on and off and am finally getting close to finished.

Anyway one thing is really bugging me. There are a bunch of vertical pieces on the hull which aren't lined up properly... I've marked a red line beside them to show. You can see the first set of pieces is lined up with the red line, but the second set toward the rear are on an angle with respect to the red line.

I know I'm being picky, but it's bugging me and I think it looks a little silly. When you look at each set of vertical pieces alone I think they look lined up ok, but looking at the whole boat together I think it looks a bit funny.

So, I'm considering re-angling the front set, but I think if I tilt them forwards it may look funny too... so I don't know what to do, lol.

I think if you're looking at the boat from an angle it looks fine (second pic), but if you're looking at it directly from the side it looks weird.

Any advice or comments? Should I redo it or leave it how it is?

Here's another guy's model of the same boat... here it seems like everything is lined up perfectly... not sure how he managed that.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6179/dsc03595.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/958/dsc03666y.jpg

post-1335-0-77820900-1361665441_thumb.jpg

post-1335-0-70148100-1361665442_thumb.jpg

Edited by mkmossop

• 3 weeks later...

It seem to me that they are perpendicular to the keel, and although they are very close I don't believe they are suppose to be 100% parallel to each other which makes sense to me. Depending on which angle your look they all look perfect.

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

Hey wthilgen thanks for replying. Yes the are all perpendicular to the keel, but they're not parallel to each other. Other people to have gotten them perpendicular to the keel and parallel to each other somehow.

Anyway, I decided to just go ahead and stain the boat, but now have another issue. I ran out of the walnut strips that came with the boat because I made so many mistakes, so I ordered some new stuff for the second level. After staining the new wood I used on the upper level came out significantly darker (and uglier in my opinion) than the lower level.

I think this will bug me permanently if I don't fix it, but I don't know what to do. If I order more wood it's likely not gonna be the exact same stuff that came with the boat. Does anyone know where I can get the same strips that Amati uses?

Here's a pic after staining (darker stuff is the upper level at the back).

Thanks for any help!

post-1335-0-98860600-1363163008.jpg

The way I understand the process, is the various kings would have trees set aside for cutting and there various parts would be used where ever they needed. The woodsmen would fall them, carpenters would trim them to shape and then stockpile them. Often times they would sit is ship yards for months or years in which case depending on when they were originally placed the wood would be of different ages subsequently there colors would differ. So unless one paints the ship, it is natural for some of the pieces not to match the rest. I believe it is more authentic that way. Personally, In the past, (40 years ago) I would burn my pieces and then rub the slightly charred pieces until I get a desired look. No two pieces are ever the same. I use different materials for rubbing; cotton, satin, light sandpaper, to get a desired effect.

Edited by wthilgen

Current Build:

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

mkmossop, I think it looks great the way it is.  It's a different section of the ship.  It's not like the forward half is darker or something like that.  Rather, it appears from your description and the photo that the entire upper section is all the same color.  It looks to me like there is enough difference in the two shades that it was meant to be that way.  Like I said, it looks really nice to me.  I wouldn't try to change it.  Could end up not looking as nice then.  Keep up the great work.

Dave

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)

I agree, to much water spoils the broth. I only hope and I will try to do as well. Great job on planking.

Current Build:

On The Shelf:

Completed:

Thanks for the comments, it helps. So I guess I'll just have to get over the colour difference cause it doesn't sound like I'll find the exact same wood... hopefully I'll get over it, lol.

Also I'm having trouble with staining the keel. I'd also prefer to have it the same colour as the rest of the boat, but it won't stain dark. Umm... any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

One way to overcome the keel colouring is to think about staining the hull below the waterline either off white to simulate tallow or black to simulate tar. Hull protection was a real problem for wooden ships and these were the accepted methods used in the time of Coloumbus.

I agree with other posters that differing shades of wood are a positive feature rather than something to be concerned about. Each modification that results from error or design makes your Santa Maria unique. :)

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

If you open a build log you will attract a lot more attention and gain access to a lot of useful info. And possibly encourage other newbies to take up the hobby.

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

• 1 month later...

Thats a great effort for a first build.  That kit is difficult for a fist model.  Congratulations.

If you open a build log you will attract a lot more attention and gain access to a lot of useful info. And possibly encourage other newbies to take up the hobby.

I think I've left it too late to open one now... I don't have any pics of anything up to this point. Wish I had started one before but oh well.

Another question...

Am I supposed to sew through the design on the sail? There are no sew lines, and I saw on someone else's model that it wasn't sewn through, however it seems like it should be. And would this be done before or after painting it?

Also I'm not sure how to attach the horizontal mast (I'm sure that's not what it's called but I don't know its technical name) to the vertical mast. I've attached a pic of someone else's model with the part I'm talking about circled in red. So I thread some of those ball thingies and then loop it around the vertical mast and then... how do I attach it to the horizontal mast? Does anyone have a detailed picture of this?

Thanks for any help!

post-1335-0-02761900-1368346710_thumb.jpg

post-1335-0-11180000-1368347241_thumb.jpg

Edited by mkmossop

• 4 weeks later...

I had done this on the Amati ship ADVENTURE, the plans instructed me just to loop it around the mast and around the yard with the wire being twisted together at the back of the yard, your horizontal mast is called a Yard by the way :) you can twist it together I suppose but for a realistic look you could just lap them together and hold it with a drop of CA.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the reply. Sorry haven't checked this for a while as no one was replying. Hmm I think I need a visual on this to see what you're talking about. Maybe I'll just play around with it and see how it looks, or will post this again in another forum.