Pandora by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:52

Thanks guys :D .

Last part of galion is done - cathead supporter + eking rail.For this piece, I had the greatest fear because it is curved in all three planes. In the end it was not quite that bad (the previous head timbers gave me a hard time considerably more). I am glad I have this complicated part behind me.

post-382-0-62996200-1471596511_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-46460500-1471596512_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-95130700-1471596512.jpg

post-382-0-44531000-1471596513.jpg

post-382-0-91354200-1471596513.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys :) .

To wyzwyk: the netting is made from YLI quilting thread (http://www.ylicorp.com/product.aspx?PID=63304a0f-0bb5-4b6d-8d39-4ddb657a3c6a&SCID=783065c6-9646-4430-afa0-3911b032b4f4), colour nr. Lt. Brown 21100003.

Galion is done, so I went into the port lids and their hinges.

post-382-0-57400100-1472892403_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-28027200-1472892404_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Lovely work, Marsalv.  It's great to see that you are back.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sweet work, Marsalv. I assume you added the molded edge detail with a scraper but I wonder how you got the corners and recesses so precise!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished going through the entire build Marsalv. Amazing detail and your sequencing of the construction of many of the elements make a great deal of sense. I particularly liked the way you fabricated the knees. beautiful workmanship on the stern details, very nice work on the lettering.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the explanation Marsalv. I assume you are using CNC to do this. I would think it would be quite difficult to freehand this.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Michael, thank you for nice comments.

Greg, it is not made with CNC machine, only freehand. It is very difficult to explain it with my bad english. You can see the small pin on the first picture which serves as stop. I only move with wooden part from one side to the other, pin follows the shape of the wood. You have to go with wood part against pin twice - milling bitt is either in position 1 or in position 2.

post-382-0-22088100-1477429302_thumb.jpg

Love the technique Marsalv. I believe you're correct, Gary. He is freehand feeding the piece against the pin. The setup is like a router except upside down.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Sheer genius on the pin and the mill.  This is going into my bag of tricks.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Mars,

I like your use of jigs, it assures consistency in sizing on the rings.  And the adjustable jig for the chains allows one to make the various lengths that are needed as they do need to be longer as they go forward to aft with the angle change.

What I cannot figure out is when you install the chains, they are not silver soldered.  Do you install, fit them to length and then take them off, silver solder and reinstall?

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I  felt compelled to comment,... your efforts and craftsmanship are truly exceptional !

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),