Pandora by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:52

A small but irritating point: I made the same error on a model some years ago. The netting for stowing the sail is incomplete. The illustration we referred to only shows the first stage of creating the netting, the zig-zag part. A more experienced modeler pointed this out to me. The second stage is to tie alternating pairs of those longitudinal threads together (I used fine fly-tying line) to form diamond-shaped netting. It was fiddly and tedious work, best done on a jig off-model. But perhaps you didn't want to know this! However, you are doing such a lovely job on your rigging I thought I'd mention it.

image.thumb.png.73685274222999b057fdc2dc8055ea2d.png

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 weeks later...

Hi druxey,

I know about this problem. This situation describes David Antscherl in his book of Swan model (the picture from your post is propably from this book). But on the other hand, I have no reason to disbelive informations which was published by Lees and Petersson (both books I own):).

Standing rigging is finished, the rudder is in place. Now is the time to prepare the sails.

P_827.jpg

P_828.jpg

P_829.jpg

P_830.jpg

P_831.jpg

P_832.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys:).

After a short break I started to sewing the sails. I managed to get a nice soft batiste with a slight beige touch, so I did not have to work with a dye. At this moment, I have sewn all the sails on which "only" is left to add different reinforcement and reef bands, add a bolt rope and fasten the reef points. And then, of course, bending the sails to the yards - that´s enough work.

P_833.jpg

P_834.jpg

P_835.jpg

P_836.jpg

P_837.jpg

P_838.jpg

P_839.jpg

Absolutely beautiful sails....  Wow!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

superb sail sewing Marsalv,

it fits nicely into the picture of the whole shipmodel so far, well done !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Your work still rises upward Marsalv. I admire and support .. Ondras71 :imNotWorthy: :imNotWorthy:

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en

As a big fan of sail ship models with sails I want to congratulate you on that absolutely beautiful sail. Only about ten more to go. ;) Keep up the good work.

Cheers Peter

Perfekt. This is a very fine fabric. 
Are there two or three folds at the edges. If two, how do you make it that the edges don't get fuzzy. And the belts, are there any folds or are they only one layer ?

To Druxey - some sails will be partially furled - fore and main course, sprit sail and sprit topsail - from this reason I saved little bit time and made no water holes - they will not be visible.

To Ilhan Gokcay - there are only two folds at the edge. The edges are reinforced with diluted PVA ( 3 (water):1 (PVA) ratio). After drying is posiible tu cut the cloth without fraying.The belts are made from the same reinforced cloth - without folds.

Mike R - bolt rope is attached with glue for textile.

Now all the sails are attached to their yards.

P_852.jpg

P_853.jpg

P_854.jpg

P_855.jpg

Edited by marsalv

Thanks for the info Marsalv, much beautiful sails.
In the past I did use CA for the rigging. But now I only use PVA glue and this works well.
In my last model I made three folds at the edges with some fight. Next I will try the two folds.

• 2 weeks later...

I started to install yards and sails. I wanted to furl the spritsail course and spritsai topsail, but I was not satisfied with the result, so I changed my mind and decided to leave these sails without furling. From this reason I had to make additionally the water holes in the spritsail course (Druxey - you were right). It was somewhat complicated because the yard with sail has already been installed on the bowsprit.

P_856.jpg

P_857.jpg

P_858.jpg

P_860.jpg

P_861.jpg

P_862.jpg

P_859.jpg

P_863.jpg

Edited by marsalv

9 hours ago, Dubz said:

No words. One of my favourite builds.

Dirk 

This for sure,......the work is a miniature marvel !!

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I agree!  Awesome job!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me