Triton Cross Section 1:32 (Pete 38)

Here we go.  The cherry wood was given to me by a friend where I work. More than enough for this build and then some. Resized the wood to the thickness I needed and then using 3M spray adhesive, applied the frames to the wood. Cut out all the frames and stored in separate marked bags so I wouldn't get confused :huh: post-63-0-47403100-1360971344_thumb.jpgpost-63-0-55771200-1360971376_thumb.jpgpost-63-0-06807300-1360971395_thumb.jpgpost-63-0-39189000-1360971411_thumb.jpg

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Next started the keel, keelson and false keel. Sawed and sanded to size using my Byrnes table saw and thickness sander. When cutting the rabbit I used a razor blade shaped to the size. Before I started scrapping with the blade, since I am doing this in 1:32 scale was able to take a lot of the wast out of the rabbit with the table saw. Then I used the blade to final shape the rabbit.

post-63-0-41819100-1360971686_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-93087700-1360971697_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-97288600-1360971708_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-52130700-1360971716_thumb.jpg

SEE YA LATER

Mark, Thanks for looking in.

Russ Wanted to make sure everything would be square!

Bob   Real good friend, says he has about 200 board ft in the attic of a barn for the last 15 or so years. Doesn't know what to do with, so I can get more if needed. He is into blacksmithing (has his own forge, so I throw some old files and stuff his way :)  when I find them.

SEE YA LATER

Hi Pete, Well done and thanks for re-starting your build. It's great to have a friend to trade with isn't it.

I recived some cherry cut offs once several years ago and I'm still using them.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Pete:

You might consider puting the papered sides facing away from each other in the finished frame. That will make it easier to see the layout lines on both sides of the frame. It will also make it easier to clean off the paper after the frames are glued up.

Russ

Hello Pete i am really pleased to see you have been able to almost completely salvage and restart your  build log, How fortunate you are to have acess to a good supply of cherry. Old files for new cherry seems like a really good deal. I am looking forward to seeing everything "jigged up".

the forum is quickly coming back to life thank goodness.

Thanks for sharing And also for dropping in on me,

Kip

I have finally completed my first frame!!!!!!!   I am thinking about framing my frame in a frame :D

I know there is a lot of final sanding and fitting to do to it, but it's my first... here are a few pictures of my frame

Front view

post-63-0-21252900-1361560480_thumb.jpg

Side view

post-63-0-12749400-1361560490_thumb.jpg

SEE YA LATER

Congratulations on your first frame.  What  are you going to name it?  lol   Nice work, keep it up.

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Very nice start to your build.Your frames really look nice Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Russ, Bob and Rummy thanks for looking in and the comments. 

I do have a question. I had saved the information from the old msw on treenail size's but I can not seem to find it. Does anyone have a list of treenail sizes (actual Size) that is used in the cross section build.

Right now I am interested in the size to treenail the frames. I have the Book "HMS EURYALUS" by Allan Yedlinsky, and it says on the square frames a treenail size of 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter. Will this hold true for

the cross section???

SEE YA LATER

At your larger scale, you can go down to 1" and it will look good.

Russ

Edited by russ

While looking through some flash drives that I had at work, I found 1 page saved from an original forum on the old MSW about treenail. This reply is credited to Russ. I hope it is okay to post it here in my log, if not let me know and I'll remove it or the moderators can. THIS IS FOR GENERAL USE ONLY AND NOT A HARD AND FAST RULE.

"Okay, here is a rough set of dimensions to use for various parts of the model in the three scales.

1/48 scale Frames, no 61 bit (.039", 1mm), hull planking, no 76 bit (.020" .5mm), deck beams, knees, bitts, etc, no 68 bit (.031" .8mm), and for securing the frames and the keelson, a no 52 bit (.0625" 1.5mm) will do fine.

1/64 scale Frames, no 69 bit (.029" .75mm), hull planking, no 79 bit (.015" .4mm), deck beams, knees, bitts, etc, no 73 bit (.024" .6mm), and for securing the frames and keelson use the same 1/16" diameter bit as used in 1/48 scale. It will work fine.

1/96 scale Frames, no 76 bit (.020" .5mm), hull planking, no 80 bit (.0135" .4mm) deck beams, knees, bitts etc, no 76 bit (.020" .5mm) and for securing the frames and keelson, no 61 bit (.039" 1mm)

Please, please, please keep in mind these are very rough and very general dimensions. This is a guide, not a set of hard and fast rules. So long as you are close, there should be no big problems. If you do not want to treenail your planking in 1/96 scale, that's fine, but if you do, you might want to use something a bit larger than no 80. Its the builder's choice."

SEE YA LATER

I may be thinking alittle ahead here (alot) but the friend that gave me the cherry wood for 3 used files, just gave me enough maple for decking boards and ceiling :dancetl6:

All this cost me was 2 boxs of "Girls Scout Cookies" ($7.00)  not to bad.

So far the cost of my build is faily cheap. Hope it stays this way.

post-63-0-99119300-1361827732.jpg

SEE YA LATER

That maple looks pretty good. I see some figure it one end of it. That might have to avoided, but I would just suggest careful selection in any event. Make sure the saw blade is sharp. I have found that maple will get burn marks if the blade is anything but sharp.

Russ

Pete,

If Russ agrees, put that treenail info into a new topic in the download area.  I think it would be very useful to have.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pete38

That's some great stuff that you had put away. Thanks for printing it out and sharing it. Going to make life a lot easier.

Thanks

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section