Triton Cross Section 1:32 (Pete 38)

I moved them to the downloads area and removed them from here.  

Sorry 42rocker, Pete gets credit as I just moved his post.  I can't begin to thank others for their finds.  The reason we move them is so that visitors don't get the benefit of the drawings without signing up and doing a buid.  Too darn many pirates..... :10_1_10:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Not alot to report, haven't had much time to work on my build.

Still glueing up frames (this takes a while)

post-63-0-12069900-1362325884.jpg

2 frames glued and ready to finish

post-63-0-54976900-1362325886.jpg

While the glue is drying, decide to pull some treenails for the frames.  Being at 1:32 scale decide to go with 1" treenail.  (.0312)  This will be big enough to see, but not to big as to look out of place. 

I don't have a good grip in my hands so I can't pull them with my hands. I use a small needle nose plier and a small vise.  Pictures explain better than I can.

post-63-0-89828800-1362326135.jpg

post-63-0-69064100-1362326138.jpg

post-63-0-45394900-1362326141.jpg

And here are the Finised Treenails. This will give me a start on them.

post-63-0-91729900-1362326204.jpg

post-63-0-36553500-1362326208.jpg

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Pete, thanks for the pictures of the stern. I don't remember them. Is the drawplate in your last pictures the Burnes plate?

I prefer for my build of HMS Fly in 1/48 .75mm treenails for the keel and the frames and 0.45mm ( which are the smallest I can do withe the veneer I have) for the planking.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Good work Pete. Pulling wood through the draw plate can be tough on the hands. I pull some,

do something else then pull some more trying to break up the pain! ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Daniel,

Thanks for looking in on my build, appreciate the comments. (Really like your full build)

Pictures as they say are worth a thousand words and they work for me. I am the type that you can explain something to me by talking all day and I just look at you and say

"HUH"  but show me a picture and the light comes on :D

SEE YA LATER

42 Rocker, Thanks for the comments, as stated in our pm's I found the pictures I was looking for...

So if you are interested :unsure:  Here is what the 1:24 frame layout template if you want to consider the full build in this size. Better have a spare room to show it :D

post-63-0-79635800-1362693639_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-05436300-1362693650_thumb.jpg

SEE YA LATER

Pete38

One of the things that I was NOT going to do was to even think about changing scales if I ever did a full ship model. 1:48 scale is great for a full ship model. As I understand it the 1:48 scale is about 35 inches long so I'm guessing that the ship in the pic should be about 70 inches or about 5 foot 10 inches long before we talk about masts.

Neat pic of the print, Thanks for sharing it. I'll think about having one printed up to post on the wall to look at as I work on the cross section.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would post my little bit of progress so far  ( don't want people thinking I have not been doing anything -_- )

Still just glueing up the frames. Like I said this takes me a while. The first one that I had done I only let the glue dry for about 1 hour and start handling it. It came apart in my hand and I had to redo it, so now I let each glue up sit at least 2 to 3 hours befor handling it. 

Also doing a little drum sanding along the way.  Making sure to keep enough to fair themn in once mounted on the keel. Heres a few pic of progress

post-63-0-61320300-1363562509.jpg

post-63-0-19299900-1363562519.jpg

Here is my drum sander mounted in my drill press

post-63-0-96263000-1363562544.jpg

I have the hose attached to the center plate on the bottom going to a vac to remove the dust. works great, just alittle bit noisy

post-63-0-94045600-1363562550.jpg

Hopefully will get the frames done this week and start the treenail of them before mounting on the keel.

SEE YA LATER

Pete:
Are you clamping the glued up frames any? Clamping will definitely make for a stronger glue joint. In any event, I would definitely let them cook for at least 3 hours before handling.

The frames look good so far.

Russ

Pete

Frames are looking very nice. Way better than mine. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

That is a good way to clamp the frames for drying. Make sure the entire frame is flat and that the glue joints are solid. Good work.

Russ

Hi Pete,

Just spent the time going thru your log and want to thank you for the detail you're posting. You all have injected me with the bug to do the Triton Cross Section as my first build when I get the gantry building board finished, except I can start on the introduction page of the keel before that and get a log going. Then, on to the next step.

Thanks also for starting the pinned threads on the "Timber List" and "Frame Construction"

BTW, you do very nice work.

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Joss and Russ-appreciate you looking in, Your comments and suggestions really help.

Ron-I don't know about better but they will do for my first scratch build. :rolleyes:

Paddy, thank you for the compliment. Looking forward to seeing you start your build log of the cross section.

I have alot more pictures than what I post so that I can have a record of how I did this. Pictures help me more than a page of words.I plan on trying to post some more of how I did certain things (maybe it will help someone or someone can show me a better way)

As far at the list, thanks go to all the other people who started the ONLINE TRITON BUILD and to the ones who took the time to start build logs, post their progress and help those like me who really need it.

Thank you

SEE YA LATER

As stated in my previous post, here are some pictues and explanations on the way I have been doing it. If you have another way or better way please feel free to  post it here or comment (critisize)

When sanding the end of my frame members, I have been using a disc sander with a 320 grit paper. I use this because all the rest were a 80 grit and that was way to rough for me (takes off to much to quick) the 320 grit was just about right, had to go slow so as not to burn the end of the wood, so this let me control amount taken off. Sanded up to the line and left it.

post-63-0-47719900-1363822976.jpg

Also before starting any sanding I always check the table to the disc for squareness. Even though I did not change anything between frame I found the table had move a little after each use. (no matter how much I tightened it)  THIS IS A MUST

post-63-0-29179300-1363822981.jpg

SEE YA LATER

When cutting the notches in the frames for the keel and keelson I use my mill. I know you can do this easily by hand, but the mill was there  :D

I started by making sure the vise I was using was square and straight with the head by using a dial indicator to indiacte it in (within .002 to .003 straight)
I would then clamp the frame sections in with the line just even with the top of the vise. On the first one I did I set the depth that I would need. This will keep all the remaining frame members cutting to the same depth and repeatability.

post-63-0-68714100-1363825396.jpg

Then I used a 3\8 4 flute end mill to cut the notchs.

post-63-0-25819300-1363825404.jpg

Using the Keelson or Keel I would check the fit of each cut and adjust as need with the mill or a 150 grit sanding stick

post-63-0-52465800-1363825420.jpg

Doing it this way for me also let me keep the notch square with the frame as I would also check this each time.

post-63-0-02768200-1363825428.jpg

Hope this helps someone

SEE YA LATER

Pete:

That milling bit looks scary. :) The finished product looks very good. Nice work.

Russ

Very nice clean cut Pete. Your lucky to have a mill bit. I just used my scroll saw and steady hands. Well, sort of steady hands...  :D

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Pete

What I was thinking about was when I finally get to the point where your at was to use a jewelry's saw and cut the vertical sides on the lines before I ran the mills end cutter so I would not have to worry about tearing out the sides of the frame cut. Looks like you did not have any problems with tear out. Maybe I won't do that cut.

Any thoughts?

Looks like a sherline 2000 mill that you are using? Nice I've the regular sherline mill.

Your work is looking great. Have a great day.

Later 42rocker

Edited by 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Ack! I never considered using a mill to cut out that joint before. Saying that on my next model it is likely to be slightly angled so it will still be by hand but for the cross section it is a great idea.

Joss

Thanks for the reply gnetlemen,

42rocker, depending on the type of wood you may gets some tear out on the edges. Try a test piece first and if this happen but a "sacrifice" piece of wood behind it to eliminate the tearout. Something like you do when you router the endgrain on a board.

SEE YA LATER