hms triton; first attempt at plank on frame

Very nice metalwork, Mick. If you are looking at another lathe, I've found a watchmakers' lathe with compound cross-slide excellent for model work. One can find them, often in very good condition, on eBay.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi druxey

Thanks for compliment. Still deciding on a lathe looks like a toss up between sherline or peatol(taig). Both available in the UK but sherline tend to be on the expensive side. May also consider an emco unimat.....seen some niceexamples on eBay recently. Decisions,decisions!!!!

Cheers....mick

Mick,

Maybe ... you should keep in mind the possible future extensions you may wish on the lathe you'll buy ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 1 month later...

hi all

been a little busy of late on other non ship building projects. however have managed to do a few bits and pieces.

the display case for triton has been built.

i just need to turn down two support columns from brass.

i have a pile of bits ready to go on the basic hull form.

been diverted by making a new base and some new locking handles for a recently purchased lathe.

cheers for now

mick.

post-3749-0-60487200-1435092499_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-91503900-1435092509_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-54486700-1435092519_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-94536300-1435092530_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-65521700-1435092543_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-67337400-1435092551_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-20118600-1435092567_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-03251800-1435092576_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-97497200-1435092583_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-85643500-1435092593_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-30392100-1435092603_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-83690700-1435092611_thumb.jpg

Looks like a nice lathe. Which lathe is it? Bought in the UK? The reason I ask is that I'm looking for one myself.

Tony

Hi Tony

Lathe is a peatol or taig if you're in the US. I managed to find one on eBay in reasonable condition for £135. Unfortunately all the extras have to be brought separately. The one thing I didn't like was the three jaw soft aluminium Chuck supplied. Arc eurotrade sell a nice little er16 collet Chuck and collets which is what I shall use for the majority of my turning. However er16 only go up to 10mm . arc also sell a four jaw self centring Chuck and back plate which I shall get asap. Various locking points are provided but are 10-32 unf bolts......soon got fed up of reaching for an Allen key so devised some locking handles in brass using a longer unf bolt as the foundation. Overall I'm quite impressed with the machine....for smaller scale work its ideal...its also whisper quiet.

I would recommend it but be prepared to make a few modifications!

Cheers.....mick

Thanks, Mick. Useful info. I'd looked at a Peatol/Taig before and wondered how it would compare with the ARC models. I see it's set up for imperial units only, but suppose that's not much of a problem.

Sorry for diverting the thread!

Tony

Hi Tony

No worries about diverting the thread! The peatol is in imperial but the collets I'm using are metric!I tend to measure in metric units these daysbut will use imperial if necessary. The lathes from arc are all set machines.I have there miniature mill/drill and compound table which I can't fault. However I did have their co baby lathe which I was less than happy with. The larger lathes may be better. Personally I would prefer to buy UK/us its significantly better made and any electronics are far superior. But its down to personal choice as UK and US machines are significantly more expensive.......but you gets what you pay for!

Cheers....mick

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

its about time i did some more work on the cross section.

armament and breeching ropes completed.

ring bolts in place for training tackles.

gangboards in place and brackets for skid beams.

now the problems.

i was unhappy with the stropping on the training tackles so have discombobulated the lot and will start again. should be enough room to get them in!

the other two pairs of brackets dont fit! rather than mess about with them i will remake them.

apart from the gangboard railings and turning some pedastals down from brass were nearly there.

photos of current progress attached.

cheers for now.........mick

post-3749-0-09897300-1436396861_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-26541000-1436396871_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-49084300-1436396880_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-38320200-1436396891_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-28387400-1436396904_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-13670200-1436396913_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-47606600-1436396923_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-67840200-1436396938_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-75924400-1436396949_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-27006100-1436396963_thumb.jpg

post-3749-0-70199700-1436396972_thumb.jpg

Mick,

Looks super nice.  Re-check your breeching line length.  The look short to my eye.  The gun should be able to recoil back so that the muzzle is inside the gunport.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi mark

I made the breeching rope three times the length of the bore of the gun as per info in swan class practicum. The guns are positioned almost behind the gun port. Still reckon it needs a few extra mm to get to its proper length? No worries there's a couple of other things that need to be redone aswell!

Thanks for the heads up

Cheers.....mick

Mick,

Run one back when your reworking and check... It might just be my eyes are deceiving me.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi mark

It may be that even making the breeching ropes 3x the length of the bore I should perhaps have added even more than I did to allow for the turn around the cascabel and the loop and seizing around the ring bolt. A couple look slightly shorter than the rest. Problem is I've glued the ring bolts in with epoxy resin and the trucks are spot glued to the deck with the same.I don't want too damage anything taking it apart so I may have to leave things as they are and putvit down to experience.....it can join the growing list of things to do better on the next build.

Constructive criticism and advice is always welcome....I think I will beneeding plenty when I get round to doing a full hull build!

Cheers......mick

No worries, Mick.  I'm like you.. I can use the advice, critique, and encouragement.  You're doing a super fine job on her.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mick,

What would modelbuiling be without the helping eye and supportive criticism ... that said, where would be the fun in starting a topic ... I like the progress anyway!

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

magnificent result, Mick, though it does have a slight blue-ish sheen with the glass ... like the display case too! versatile fellow you!

Edited by cog

Carl

Hi Carl

Thank you!its been a labour of love.....you're right about the blueish tint...strange that...looks crystal clear in daylight.

I didn't make the acrylic case I brought it from an online supplier,but not the usual company I use.....mainly because it was half the normal price!

Maybe they use a slightly different acrylic....or it could be me half asleep taking photos!

I did make the base....most core with cherry veneered quadrantmoulding and a bit of madronna burr for the base.

Cheers.....mick

I am so pleased to have followed your build - lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Carl

Thank you!its been a labour of love.....you're right about the blueish tint...strange that...looks crystal clear in daylight.

I didn't make the acrylic case I brought it from an online supplier,but not the usual company I use.....mainly because it was half the normal price!

Maybe they use a slightly different acrylic....or it could be me half asleep taking photos!

I did make the base....most core with cherry veneered quadrantmoulding and a bit of madronna burr for the base.

Cheers.....mick

Probably the way the light is broken in the accryl. It does have the property to show blue-ish. Hmmm, most <=> mdf ... your mind played you tricks too ;)

Carl

Hi Carl

Once the training tackles are made up and the stanchions for the hatchway I will take some final photos for the gallery...in natural daylight not at 11o clock at night hopefully there won't be any blue tints.

Most=mdf. Predictive texton my tablet.....I will work out how to turn it offone day!

Cheers.....mick

Hi Kevin

Thanks for following along! It's been an interesting experience as an introduction to p.o.f. building.......I think I'm hooked and the dark side cometh! Thanks have to go to all the staff/moderators who did the primary research and drew up the plans and made them available on the forum. I recommend the project to any body with a couple of kits under their belt.

Next up is a fully framed hull with all those lovely frames and cants!

Cheers....mick

Hi Carl

Once the training tackles are made up and the stanchions for the hatchway I will take some final photos for the gallery...in natural daylight not at 11o clock at night hopefully there won't be any blue tints.

Most=mdf. Predictive texton my tablet.....I will work out how to turn it offone day!

Cheers.....mick

Yes, when you've got a new one, with a different OS ;)

Cheers mate ...

Carl